Home

SANDBANKS

[09:21] Devon: wuh-oh we've got a problem?

[09:22] Darathy: There is

[09:22] Darathy: ?

[09:22] Sabre: Yes, Sandbanks.

[09:22] Devon: /belated

[09:22] Darathy: OHGOD

[09:22] Darathy: NOT SANDBANKS

[09:24] Darathy: And need sleep since **** it's 3:55 AM and I need to get up in four eyes. Hours. I meant hours. >.>

[09:24] Darathy: Yes.

[09:25] Darathy: Nght, ll

Photograph of what was lurking outisde Darathy's bedroom:

sandbanks.jpg

460%3E_643903.jpg

"Spelling," you remark? I thought that Hieroglyphics were, in a sense, like Chinese characters: individual characters represent ideas, as opposed to a conglomeration of letters, which also represent ideas.

So did Young; that's why Champollion cracked hieroglyphs first. :p

There are roughly four categories of hieroglyph: uniliteral, equating to roughly one letter or sound. for example, 'k', 'i', etc.; biliteral, representing two of our sounds, for example 'sd', 'ab', etc.; triliteral, being three, (e.g. 'ankh'); and determinatives, which are more symbolic, and tend to be used to represent the type of word being written (in a very broad category). These aren't clear-cut, though. Sometimes determinative/ideographic symbols can read as letters, and sometimes characters that are also literal or phonographric can function as determinatives or idiograms.

So did Young; that's why Champollion cracked hieroglyphs first. :p

There are roughly four categories of hieroglyph: uniliteral, equating to roughly one letter or sound. for example, 'k', 'i', etc.; biliteral, representing two of our sounds, for example 'sd', 'ab', etc.; triliteral, being three, (e.g. 'ankh'); and determinatives, which are more symbolic, and tend to be used to represent the type of word being written (in a very broad category). These aren't clear-cut, though. Sometimes determinative/ideographic symbols can read as letters, and sometimes characters that are also literal or phonographric can function as determinatives or idiograms.

My goodness, Darathy. How long did it take you to learn this?

Uh, that was preliminary work for my first ever lecture on Hieroglyphs. :p

I meant it in the sense that you measure your studies in years or decades? :xp:

Seriously, though, Egypt in general is an amazing area, in both a historical and geographical context: every empire that is worth remembering (in the West) has controlled Egypt, if that says anything about the region. But I need not explain that to you. :p

Archived