Home

Obama Closes Gitmo

JediMaster12

Actually, by today's standards Lincoln would be a Conservative, he was against slavery, it was just considered to be way out there at the time by Democrats to be against slavery.

What did he gut, seriously give me a list please? And Reagan caused the USSR to spend itself to death.

reagan was a terrible president and the ussr was already spending itself to death before reagan, which may have not even been a good thing since it destabilized the region and let a bunch of nuclear weapons fall into the hands of whoever they happened to be near to at the time. diplomacy would have also solved the problem of the mess the us and ussr made with our little pissing contest.

reagan also decimated south america with such lovely ideas as the contra and the war on drugs.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reagan was a terrible president and the ussr was already spending itself to death before reagan, which may have not even been a good thing since it destabilized the region and let a bunch of nuclear weapons fall into the hands of whoever they happened to be near to at the time. diplomacy would have also solved the problem of the mess the us and ussr made with our little pissing contest.

reagan also decimated south america with such lovely ideas as the contra and the war on drugs.

Tell that to the people from former east Germany, or some of the other countries that were under the iron curtain. They've named streets after Ronald Reagan. Also, I don't particularly like the idea of illegal drugs that are highly addictive being on the streets.

Diplomacy doesn't always work, if it did we wouldn't have had the situation where the USSR took over half of Europe, nor would we have had to do the Berlin Airlift.

Tell that to the people from former east Germany, or some of the other countries that were under the iron curtain. They've named streets after Ronald Reagan. Also, I don't particularly like the idea of illegal drugs that are highly addictive being on the streets.

Diplomacy doesn't always work, if it did we wouldn't have had the situation where the USSR took over half of Europe, nor would we have had to do the Berlin Airlift.

your ability to praise reagan without knowing all that much about him or what he did is astounding

Tell that to the people from former east Germany, or some of the other countries that were under the iron curtain. They've named streets after Ronald Reagan.

East Germany was going to heck in a handbasket because they had no way to keep educated people in their country, and the style of government they had was just a mess. Germany as a whole is still suffering under trying to compensate for absorbing East Germany. Half the people I talk to who used to be "under the iron curtain" wish they still were because they liked being part of something big and powerful.

Would you rather be a citizen of New Jersey or a citizen of the USA? You'd rather be part of the USA, not necessarily because the USA is better than New Jersey, but because the USA has power, and Jersey doesn't.

Also, I don't particularly like the idea of illegal drugs that are highly addictive being on the streets.

And yet cigarettes and alcohol are still on the streets. "Illegal" is just an abstract definition tacked on to something that the people of a country object to. If we worshipped a blood god ritual sacrifices would be legal. Heck, if we were most Puritan, burning witches would be legal!

Getting rid of drugs is impossible, you'll never do it. Ever. Any government operation to try and eliminate them is going to fail.

Yeah....because going to war with the USSR while Stalin was in power would have been a greaaaat idea. Please, just, don't even suggest things like that. Yes I'm well away you think the US should kick more ass and take take names, but please, at least try to think that talking to people may solve more problems than killing them.

Getting rid of drugs is impossible, you'll never do it. Ever. Any government operation to try and eliminate them is going to fail.
QFT, to the maxxx. The war on drugs is a seemingly pointless campaign, since drugs have been around since the dawn of civilization, and every time a certain drug is made unpopular or scarce, another one takes its place.
Actually, by today's standards Lincoln would be a Conservative, he was against slavery, it was just considered to be way out there at the time by Democrats to be against slavery.
In order to free the slaves, that means that you would have to grant them rights. Now, that's essentially social reform, right? That's a pretty radical idea, and is most certainly progressive. The point: Lincoln was a liberal on a great deal of his issues; the same goes for Theodore Roosevelt and LBJ, who all preached and practiced progressive policies, which in today's light are considered liberal. Oh, and they were Republicans.

QFT, to the maxxx. The war on drugs is a seemingly pointless campaign, since drugs have been around since the dawn of civilization, and every time a certain drug is made unpopular or scarce, another one takes its place.

Yeah I'm sure drugs like LSD where you had people jumping to their deaths because they were hallucinating are real beneficial to society.

In order to free the slaves, that means that you would have to grant them rights. Now, that's essentially social reform, right? That's a pretty radical idea, and is most certainly progressive. The point: Lincoln was a liberal on a great deal of his issues; the same goes for Theodore Roosevelt and LBJ, who all preached and practiced progressive policies, which in today's light are considered liberal. Oh, and they were Republicans.

Actually there is more to this than you're letting on. Republicans believe in individual rights, individuals owning their own labor, which is contrary to the Democrat platform. If you work hard and end up being rich then a Republican would be all for you keeping what you made, the Democrat Platform is to penalize you.

Also LBJ was a Democrat, not a Republican, he was Kennedy's VP.

Yeah I'm sure drugs like LSD where you had people jumping to their deaths because they were hallucinating are real beneficial to society.

Nobody said they were "good" for society, stop twisting things around. There are plenty of ways to reduce drug use, but the idea that drugs can be eliminated is stupid. Not to mention that LSD taken in small doses is said to produce good experinces, not to mention if you do it safely with friends, there's less chances of something bad happening, and if drugs were cleaner and not mixed with all kinds of crap, they'd be a lot safer too.

Actually there is more to this than you're letting on. Republicans believe in individual rights, individuals owning their own labor, which is contrary to the Democrat platform. If you work hard and end up being rich then a Republican would be all for you keeping what you made, the Democrat Platform is to penalize you.

No, the Democrats believe in freedom and free enterprise and blah blah, A: stop painting Democrats like they're evul communists out to eat your soul. I'd like you to go to the Democrat webside and find me where in their platform is says "if you make money you suck and need to suffer."

No, the Democrats believe in freedom and free enterprise and blah blah, A: stop painting Democrats like they're evul communists out to eat your soul. I'd like you to go to the Democrat webside and find me where in their platform is says "if you make money you suck and need to suffer."

Pfft. They're not going to just outright say it... :p

you have no idea what you're talking about. the story you're referring to is that of frank olsen, an army scientist who was participating in the cia's project mkultra, a mind control and interrogation project in which he was dosed with lsd (among other things) without his knowledge until he supposedly suffered a mental breakdown and committed suicide.

Hm... I've taken acid before, and none of that ever happened to me. I'd suggest that you'd actually take some in order to really know what you're talking about, k? And what jmac said.

I think your association of political spectrum and political party is illogical. I also think that your bias is showing.

Also LBJ was a Democrat, not a Republican, he was Kennedy's VP.
Oh, my bad. I forgot that not all Texan politicians were Republicans. :xp:

• 3 weeks later...

MSNBC Article - Guantanamo prisoner freed, arrested again

KABUL, Afghanistan - It was 2 a.m. when a rocket launcher sent a grenade slamming into the front gate of Hafizullah Shahbaz Khiel's walled compound. Screeching children and women ran into a small underground room. American and Afghan soldiers shouted: "Get over here, get over here. On the floor, heads down."

Hafizullah, a former Guantanamo prisoner, knew not to resist. And so, his family says, he was wrongly taken into custody by the United States — for the second time.

Hafizullah's story shows just how difficult it is for the U.S. to determine who is guilty and who is not in Afghanistan, where corruption rules and grudges are held for years, if not decades. It is a conundrum that the U.S. faces as it prepares to close Guantanamo and empty it of the 245 prisoners still there.

We are closing Gitmo why? :giveup:

So which US citizens are we talking about?

According to federal law any persons of foreign citezenship are not covered by constitutional protections. Unless you are going to try to claim that those non-citizens should also have the right to vote.

You forget Article 6 of the US Constitution that specifically states that any treaties signed by the United States becomes part of the supreme law of the land and we all know that the Constitution is the highest law in the United States.

Since we signed the UN Charter and the Geneva accords, we are thus bound to obey these tenets, something that was not done at the prisoner base at Gitmo. So with the reports of prisoner cruelty and possible unlawful detentions of people, we actually violated our own laws. Gitmo may be a military base but it is still bound by US law under the checks and balances system we have in place.

As to the brillancy of closing Gitmo, I have to ask if it just the prison we have there or does it mean the base as a whole?

You forget Article 6 of the US Constitution that specifically states that any treaties signed by the United States becomes part of the supreme law of the land and we all know that the Constitution is the highest law in the United States.

Since we signed the UN Charter and the Geneva accords, we are thus bound to obey these tenets, something that was not done at the prisoner base at Gitmo. So with the reports of prisoner cruelty and possible unlawful detentions of people, we actually violated our own laws. Gitmo may be a military base but it is still bound by US law under the checks and balances system we have in place.

As to the brillancy of closing Gitmo, I have to ask if it just the prison we have there or does it mean the base as a whole?

Just 'Gitmo', the Prison. I don't think Obama's planning on closing the base.

Archived