Home

The Right Way to Write Dates

Sabretooth

It's DD/MM/YY, bitches. :shades2:

Hell to the yeah.

Confusing as hell when you get all the yanky types giving it the MM/DD/YY treatment. Often I find myself thinking they've invented new months.

i.e its the 4th day of the 18th month you say?

Whats with that? I demand an explanation.

Bloody Colonials and their dating systems... :p

DD/MM/YY is how it should be - MM/DD/YY is incredibly confusing - I can accept it for important dates (such as 9/11, but this often causes people to ask 'What happened on the 9th of November?'), but it's annoying.

9/11 is three numbers and a slash. It is a meaningless piece of jargon.

I believe you mean the World Trade Center attacks which took place on September 11th 2001.

The September 11 attacks (often referred to as nine-eleven, written 9/11) were a series of coordinated suicide attacks by al-Qaeda upon the United States on September 11, 2001.

You were saying...?

"Nine-eleven" is an equally meaningless load of fetid dingo's kidneys.

I refuse to stand for this most rancid neologism.

And you dismiss the press' techniques of manipulating the masses into making brands of terrorist acts and using handy catchphrases to incite moral panic?

I don't know about, Darth InSidious, but I look at press and marketing techniques as a modern form of art worth analysing and savouring.

Silly Americans. Put it this way.

"it's the 4th day of the 12 month in the year 2012"

or

"It's the 12th month and the 4th day in the year 2012"

Except... we don't use it that way! It would never be read out loud like that. We'd just say: twelve four twentytwelve" or "December fourth, Twentytwelve." The arrangement of the dates is culturally implied and no one has any trouble understanding it. ^_^

Archived