Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

Woah I just realized its the 31st. I thought it was the 30th. During the week sometimes you can get the days mixed up. Huh. Since its the end of the day after the day FF would go down I am kinda suprised. It should've gone down by now. Not that I'm complaining. Well like I said it must be a pretty big network to take this long. Oh well. This weekend I hope the new network forums will be up. But I say again, has anyone tried to search for something on filefront or the sub sites to see if that is still working?

Downloads are still in catagories from the networks, with all the mods available, at http://www.filefront.com. While you can search for mods on the networks sites search bar, and download them.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought people should know, but the ex-Filefront team (old admins, mods, and regulars of the forums) have gotten new forums up incredibly fast-like. If they were able to get their forums up fast, I wonder how long it will take to set up the new file hosting services.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Although it is cool that there are forums online and we can get news right from the source. Any new file network would be more than just links. I hope something resembling Filefront networks past glory could come about when this new network is set up.

By the way, where are those forums again?

It seems as though whoever doing the shutdown of the site, has failed, or is going in the wrong direction. Filefront Forums are back up, but theres a post from one of the admins on it.

I assure you all that the forums being online at this time is not a joke or something that is temporary. What information I have is that there will be more information to be expected sometime tomorrow. I myself am not entirely sure what is going on and why the forums are back online. I'll know when you know really. I was just instructed to let you know that this is for real and not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. I know many will not believe me because of the terrible timing, but the persons that I had talked to about this would never joke with me about this sort of thing.

More to come as I find it out.

Jeff

Maybe their leaving the forums up or something. They way that first line is written, it appears as if the forums were intentionally brought back up. But honestly, I'd think they'd let an admin know whats going on.

Anyone else noticed that there's no closure warning on the main site?

Either they fail at shutting down websites, or they're restoring it.

Who knows really, personally, if I was in charge, I might have, you know, told my employee's and volunteers whats going in, instead of pulling crap like this.

I also might have stopped overusing commas.

More from n0e (FF Community Manager in case anybody wonders):

While I don't know much of what is going on, I can say that from who I talked to about this place being online that Ziff has nothing to do with its return. I'll hopefully find out more today as I was assured and once I do, I'll be sure to tell everyone here.

It seems more like someone else bought filefront and saved it from the void of no return.

This makes one consider the validity of their shutdown. I highly doubt it's a joke, it wouldn't be a very good one. People are going through way too much trouble. But, weird things happen. Like Conficker. Lol.

On a separate note, while there are likely already many claims to making websites, a few months ago I started work on a mod distribution site. It's not too close to being released, but with FileFront going down, it has given me a lot of inspiration. I was going to focus on JA and KOTOR, and maybe Half-life.

If FF got bought out it makes complete sense they wouldn't be able to tell us anything yet. Legally when contracts are being signed or a process is going through you can't say anything until there is finalization and they give the go ahead for the agreement to become public. Its like a criminal investigation.

You can't say anything if it will potentially cause harm, if you don't know absolutly sure, but are pretty sure, or legally you can't say something yet. So if they got bought out I doubt they'll quickly tell us yes that's what happened.

There might be a payoff to the former staff. Like for your company I'll buy it off and give you this amount of money for it. So there might be a payment process, others that the former staff lost contact with might be filling them in, and there is Union stuff, etc. At least this is just what I think. And them not saying much with this my speculation makes complete sense to me. What do you guys think, sound plausable?

little update from n0e again:

Ziff Davis personal and FileFront personal are not the same. When we were a 'part' of Ziff Davis Media we were a division that pretty much managed ourselves with almost little involvment in the areas that most are witness to (volunteers have seen a bit more of them and their changes than normal members however.)

The people that brought down the site so abruptly were the Ziff Davis bigwigs and no one at FileFront had any control or say in this decision. It was entirely theirs.

The people that have approached me when the forums came online were all former senior management that either were part of the layoff we were all hit by or quit earlier on for their own reasons. They brought them back online abruptly because, I assume, they wanted to make some kind of show towards the community that there is certainly a movement to get FileFront back online.

I am still in the dark to the details, but, as I've said a few times, this is not a sick joke, this isn't some temporary thing (to my knowledge and what I was assured of), and I wanted to say once more that Ziff closed the site and those formerly of FileFront before it closed down are the ones that it seems are responsible for bringing it back online. All of the details will hopefully be released soon, which I believe they haven't yet because perhaps the details haven't been finalized yet? Regardless of what happens, someone has to deal with ZDM about FileFront, so any delay I'm sure is on the hands of those guys, not us.

So apparently some of the former management is trying to get Filefront back online, interesting that they were able to do it so easily.

Archived