Home

Goodnight To Yet Another Sweet Prince

The world is a little less funny today as actor/comedian Dom DeLuise passed peacefully in his sleep yesterday evening.

img14_big.jpg

And now, a brief tribute I have prepared:

Dom DeLuise, born Dom De Austin Marylin Sanchez Vasqez Luise was raised in Brooklyn, New York by Italian American parents, Vincenza "Jennie" (née DeStefano), a homemaker and apparent prodigious cook, and John DeLuise, a civil servant and part time midget wrestler.[2] DeLuise graduated from Manhattan's High School of Performing Arts with a degree in Applied Eating. He later attended Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts where, in a freak lab accident, he unintentionally created Burt Reynolds while attempting to splice brill cream, denim, and an unfertilized human egg.[3] This fortunate event led to the creation of such 70's movie classics as Cannonball Run I and II, Smokey and the Bandit II, The End, as well as The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and a movie by the same name.

Outside of his noble work as a chaotic-good crime fighter in the war-torn jungles of the People's Democratic Republic of the Congo throughout the late 80s and early 90s, DeLuise was probably best known as a regular in Mel Brooks's films. He appeared in The Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, Silent Movie, History of the World, Part I, Spaceballs & Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Brooks' late wife, actress Anne Bancroft, director and well established lover of bears, directed Dom in Fatso (1980).

A prolific eater, avid cook, and author of several books on cooking, in recent years he appeared as a regular contributor to a syndicated home improvement radio show, On The House with The Carey Brothers, giving listeners tips on culinary topics and proper beard etiquette.[4] He also wrote several children's books and set several world records in the Long Jump category at the 2000 summer Olympics in Sydney Autralia.

DeLuise died in his sleep around 6 p.m. on May 4, 2009 in Los Angeles, California, aged 75. He was hospitalized at the time, suffering from kidney failure and respiratory problems brought about by what I am told was a prolonged and fervent one man battle against the combined forces of all of South America's drug lords. Dom Deluise is survived by sons Michael, Peter, David, and at least twelve dozen deep dish pizzas.

RIP, Dom. You will be missed.

Archived