Home

Google developing its own Operating System

"In what is certain to be the biggest tech story of the summer, Google is finally making official what has been rumored for years: It will create its own computer operating system, Chrome OS, slated for release in late 2010."

-From Yahoo! tech blog full article here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146051

What do you guys think? Will google's Linux based OS be able to take on Windows?

I kind of doubt it myself, even though Mac has had some success in the last few years. I think PC manufacturers would be hesitant to sell their products with an OS that few people know how to use.

Mac OS would be better competition for Windows if Apple made it compatible with Windows software and quit chaining it to their criminally overpriced hardware.

Anywho, even with Google behind it, unless it's a better Windows than Windows, Chrome OS doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell.

I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro. Sure, Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel, but that doesn't make it Linux proper. So, now developers have to write entirely new ports of software, whereas they could simply build packages to conform to specific distros, like with most GPL'd Linux software.

I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro. Sure, Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel, but that doesn't make it Linux proper. So, now developers have to write entirely new ports of software, whereas they could simply build packages to conform to specific distros, like with most GPL'd Linux software.

I'm actually pretty happy that they're not just going with pure Linux, the GPL hinders commercial as well as open source (see the debacle with Sun's ZFS filesystem for an example) development for Linux unless you release your software under the GPL (cutting out other licenses such as nearly any license that wasn't written by a University or some neckbeard). Furthermore, I'm sick of the goals of many distros, in addition to the FSF, being way off base when it comes to their priorities -- I'm sorry if thinking Linux should work out of the box with most hardware, and maybe even have a complete re-writing of the Wifi codebase, in particular the encryption, before people start working on open-source BIOSs and re-writing free, though proprietary software is insane.

There are 2 things on this list that actually should be on this list, coupled with re-writes of existing software so there can be GPL'd versions of it for some reason.

Google Chrome OS will be open source though.

I don't understand why Google is developing a whole new OS when they could simply do a Linux distro.
But they don't want another distro. They want something totally different. A new attempt on computer systems. An OS for an ever and always online computer, with cloud computing as one of the major buzzwords, for instance.

Whilst having another choice must be applauded, the (MS and Linux) fanboys that are using this as another opportunity to ruminate on how Osource and Windows are in a state of murderous war must be thrown off various sharp cliffs.

10 ways google chrome can kill off windows

Google Chrome OS for netbooks vs Windows 7 vs iPhone/OSX: FIGHT!

and earlier on in the picture...

Windows 7 will kill desktop Linux?

Why are these geeky dragonslayers always so obsessed with killing each others OS :D

They all serve a purpose, for different sets of users. If you like gaming, then windows will always be relevant to you. I personally am glad MS promotes gaming on windows(as opposed to Apple with Mac OS)

Quite frankly, if pcs were stll mainly for work/word processing, I'd still be using my amiga 500 :D

Amiga500_system.jpg

mtfbwya

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
"In what is certain to be the biggest tech story of the summer, Google is finally making official what has been rumored for years: It will create its own computer operating system, Chrome OS, slated for release in late 2010."

-From Yahoo! tech blog full article here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146051

What do you guys think? Will google's Linux based OS be able to take on Windows?

I kind of doubt it myself, even though Mac has had some success in the last few years. I think PC manufacturers would be hesitant to sell their products with an OS that few people know how to use.

Hello myself rushal. and i working on the web hosting and i want to talk about the NOURL4U-SPAMMER! . can you tell me about how we can host the any site.

Thanks.

edit:bill

It will be a complete failure. Google Crome as web browser is ok but I think Windows and especially Windows 7 is the best around. I dubt google will be able to do better.

It isn't going to be in the mainstream desktop market, so that isn't a valid comparison. It will occupy a space in the netbook/smartbook market, with devices that need to do a bit more than android supports.

Hexxehs Chrome OS build now auto updates. I run it on my tablet PC on virtual box. Whilst I miss the handwriting input W7 allows, if there was a tailor made device and interface for text, it's quite a nifty interface. They're not going to take over the world, but they can carve out their own niche if they price things right and have decent battery life ;)

mtfbwya

Archived