Home

MI:SE updates, repaints, mods, new arts...

paprik123456

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the vga floppy version and I remember I noticed it when I was a child, it was always 10 o'clock...it's not a bug, pretty sure.

note: there are some small graphic errors in the scumm bar, under the first table on the left, with the sleeping pirate, some original pixels are visible. and the pirate standing against the wall seems like to have got different color palette in the different animation frames.

Not the dialogue, you silly people. Of course that's not a bug! The "It's always 10 O'Clock" speech progression should only happen once Guybrush have left the screen, and then come back.

In the CD version someone introduced a bug where you can have the whole progression non-stop, so Guybrush complains that "it's ALWAYS 10 O'Clock on this island" a few seconds after he's first read the time - making the whole thing idiotic.

What SHOULD happen is Guybrush says: "It's 10 O'Clock". If you look at it again, Guybrush still says "It's 10 O'Clock". If you leave the screen and come back and look at the clock, THEN Guybrush says "Hmm. It's still 10 O'Clock". And so on.

Irritating that the SE team didn't fix it.

Man, I do actually like the special edition (I may never have played MI1 again otherwise) but some of the artistic oversights are borderline crazy. One I noticed yesterday is that when you're in the "Man it's hot here!" or whatever scene on Monkey Island, the vultures disappear behind rocks that aren't there.

Basically they moved where the background ridges are, but didn't move the clipping paths that the vultures go 'behind'. So you have these vultures weirdly appearing and disappearing in mid-air.

Amusing as they probably went to some trouble to get that realistic effect in the original. :o

I think it might be worth making a list of the problems with the SE. So, come on people, what didn't you like? Even if there's no chance of anyone fixing them (maybe one day it will be possible).

I'll start:

• Guybrush's hair (natch).
  • The interface.
  • The pause. Between. Every. Line.
  • The infamous "10 O'Clock" bug.
  • The opening cliff path that Guybrush walks down isn't quite in perspective.
  • The voice acting in the Scumm Bar.
  • The fact that when GB is told he has love written all over his face, the word "LOVE" is SPOKEN(!)

I'm sure there's a lot more...

Don't know if this has already been brought up, but I noticed the same visible pixels from the old background in the path to the Giant Monkey Head screen. A few of the totem poles had not really been changed at all

EDIT: and I seem to remember, during the scene where your crew all meets at the dock and looks out at the ship, there being some very weird things happening with the character sprites (overlapping strangely, etc)

Hm, perhaps replacing the narrator sound files with empty ones with the same names will remove the voice properly.

And couldn't you fix those pauses between lines by setting shorter text displaytime?

I plan to replace the Tentacle idol at the Giant Monkey Head back to a Sam and Max idol.

And I'll of course continue with fixing all sorts of minor errors in the backgrounds.

As for GB's hair. we should all get together to make a mod that changes all characters to CoMI style.

Right, here's a late christmas present from me to you guys.

An update for the backgrounds fix.

I've added fixes for the plank in the Scummbar kitchen, alpha fixes for the inside of the mansion and some alpha fixes for the church.

Enjoy.

For the download, check my post at the top of the thread.

Hm, perhaps replacing the narrator sound files with empty ones with the same names will remove the voice properly.

I have wondered if all the SE textures are replaced with 100% transparent ones (maybe even 1x1 pixels, all of them), will the Classic version of the game be visible / playable with the new voices, music and interface?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

any word on more updates for this yet? I'm really excited about it.

EDIT:

@Telltale Forums - http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=273594&postcount=31

Someone has been modding it, over at the Mojo forums, a member there has released a pack that fixes quite a few graphical glitches, also links to a Smiley face in the Scumm Bar sign and the fixed Stan's Shipyard sign.

Who? Where?? Link me plz.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200418

Check out the posts by LordTrilobite, he's posted some screenshots of what he's improved to, beware though, seeing the improvements he's made (especially with the loose board at the Scumm Bar) makes you realise how much of a rush job some areas of the SE were!

YAY! I love it.

I love it. HaHA!

19855782.png

How wonderful to see that smile again. =)

He did fix a number of problems with the forest so far, though is not finished.

Oh, but the best part is...

CLASSIC:

35503929.png

SE (OFFICIAL):

98856557.png

SE (FIXED!!!!):

69557143.png

omg, I'm so happy, I could eat babies.

Do other threads have Telltale Eats Babies as a topic? Most importantly, how did they find out?

EDIT: If you all want to know how to do this, it's really easy and all it takes is putting a few modded files into certain folders in your SMI:SE folder

EDIT AGAIN:

@MojoForums

Still astounded by the fact that the fans have to do this.

It's retarded how woefully inept LucasArts seems when they don't complete their work. I mean, I really do like having SMI:SE, but still, they should have finished the job.

Thanks for spreading the love! I haven't gotten around to work on it much lately. But knowing one's work is appreciated is always nice. It helps to wade htrough countless unfinished and broken backgrounds and fix them :p

Khar gave me permission to add his Stan Sign fix to my graphics fix patch btw, so that you don't have to download the things separatly.

Perhaps I should make a thread for the patch on the teltale forums too...

Rejoice!

I have uploaded a new version of the backgrounds fix.

New additions include:

- Melee Island road

- Melee Island Troll Bridge

- Swordmaster's house closeup

- Stan's Store Sign fix made by Khar

- Other improvements on already modified locations such as the kitchen of the Scummbar

Check my first post for the download mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, guys. I'm from Spain, sorry about my poor English.

This's just what I was looking for: fixed scenarios of MISE. I think too that the Special Edition seems like a game unfinished. My congratulations, LordTrilobite.

If you still work on it, I’ll want to help you searching more bugs, pixels areas, or fixing some little pixels areas like some palm trees in Monkey Island… adding textures in the Great Head Monkey’s wooden barrier, that looks very poor, for example…

I work with Photoshop CS3, fixing the photos’ colour, deleting people of the background, cloning big areas… I’m nearly a pro.

There, some of bugs that I finded:

MELEE ISLAND:

- Outside of Chuck and Shop: the buildings of the top of street, they’re the same that Classic Edition.

- House of Mojo: there're many pixels that go up and down with the magic pot at the same time.

- Outside of Mansion: the pixel classic graphics behind the windows looks very ugly.

- Outside of Fettucini’s Circus: in the background’s entrance, the floor is pixelated.

-Hook Island: This’s horrible!! Look behind the house.

MONKEY ISLAND:

- Pool: the waterfall is inanimate.

- Sacred Head Monkey: the totems… and the background’s palm trees… they’re cut in many places.

ScreenShots:

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/thesecretofmonkeyislandi.jpg/

http://img227.imageshack.us/i/secretofmonkeyislandspe.jpg/

I hope I was helpful.

Haha, man you guys suck. I hadn't even noticed the vast majority of these — but what's been seen cannot be un-seen. :(

Good job you're also doing a fan patch, hopefully totally comprehensive by the time I replay the SE years later! :D

Hi, guys. I'm from Spain, sorry about my poor English.

This's just what I was looking for: fixed scenarios of MISE. I think too that the Special Edition seems like a game unfinished. My congratulations, LordTrilobite.

If you still work on it, I’ll want to help you searching more bugs, pixels areas, or fixing some little pixels areas like some palm trees in Monkey Island… adding textures in the Great Head Monkey’s wooden barrier, that looks very poor, for example…

I work with Photoshop CS3, fixing the photos’ colour, deleting people of the background, cloning big areas… I’m nearly a pro.

There, some of bugs that I finded:

MELEE ISLAND:

- Outside of Chuck and Shop: the buildings of the top of street, they’re the same that Classic Edition.

- House of Mojo: there're many pixels that go up and down with the magic pot at the same time.

- Outside of Mansion: the pixel classic graphics behind the windows looks very ugly.

- Outside of Fettucini’s Circus: in the background’s entrance, the floor is pixelated.

-Hook Island: This’s horrible!! Look behind the house.

MONKEY ISLAND:

- Pool: the waterfall is inanimate.

- Sacred Head Monkey: the totems… and the background’s palm trees… they’re cut in many places.

ScreenShots:

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/thesecretofmonkeyislandi.jpg/

http://img227.imageshack.us/i/secretofmonkeyislandspe.jpg/

I hope I was helpful.

Thanks, I don't think something like an unanimated waterfall can be fixed without coding though. removing pixels and retouching backgrounds is just a matter of changing existing files, but making new animations requires the addition of new files.

Haha, man you guys suck. I hadn't even noticed the vast majority of these — but what's been seen cannot be un-seen.

Good job you're also doing a fan patch, hopefully totally comprehensive by the time I replay the SE years later!

Yeah, most of the bugs and fixes aren't that noticable. But like you said, once you see them you can't unsee them. And some of the graphic bugs are pretty bad (like the plank in the SCUMMbar kitchen), and while one's at it, why not fix minor bugs too?

A patch like this won't do miracles of course, but it might improve the overall enjoyment of the game without seeing weird graphic bugs everywhere.

Archived