Home

Grim Fandango: Special Edition

I used software rendering and noticed no difference compared to the hardware rendering, Although I was on a small (12") CRT monitor, so pixelation was a lot less.

Well definitely the anti-aliasing option from your graphics card for hardware mode makes a difference as easily seen in the screens Thunderpeel pointed out.

There is a Windows XP executable, I think. It may be different to the original - for the Entertainment Pack re-releases (in Europe circa early 2000s) optional smoothing a la ScummVM was added to The Dig, Sam and Max, and Full Throttle. I'll dig it out after work :)

(There was also a Hit the Road/Day of the Tentacle double pack released prior to the Entertainment Pack, but I don't have that. That version of DOTT may well have smoothing, too.)

There is a Windows XP executable, I think. It may be different to the original - for the Entertainment Pack re-releases (in Europe circa early 2000s) optional smoothing a la ScummVM was added to The Dig, Sam and Max, and Full Throttle. I'll dig it out after work :)

(There was also a Hit the Road/Day of the Tentacle double pack released prior to the Entertainment Pack, but I don't have that. That version of DOTT may well have smoothing, too.)

Whaaaa? Why don't I know about this... I'm supposed to know everything. I know about the other CD releases yeah, but Grim Fandango, I'd love to have that. And all the information on it for my obsessive LucasArts release table. Which I thought was complete until now!

I can with 99.9% certainty gurantee that there does not exist an executable for Grim Fandango in english that is updated for modern hardware or software:P

You're almost certainly correct, the more I think about it. The updates were all to the SCUMM games. But I'll double-check tonight anyway!

Here's some info for those of you who weren't aware of this.

All the bugs fixed (including problems with the elusive Domino dialog in Year 3) is the only change I would like to see in an SE. The character models are great as they are.

On a somewhat related note, much more to a SE or a GF2 I'd prefer someone getting out Insecticide Part 2, or a completely new Insecticide game. Part 1 brought me back a lot of fond memories of playing Grim.

All the bugs fixed (including problems with the elusive Domino dialog in Year 3) is the only change I would like to see in an SE. The character models are great as they are.

Yeah I agree the character models are good even in low poly just because it suits what it the game is about and the art direction, but even then I would just love to see things smoothed out. It wouldn't make a ton of difference on the skeletons to maybe have suits with slight wrinkles around the edges and sleeves that weren't boxes, but it would sure make a great difference to Glottis for instance, who could really use some smoothing out.

Hell, I would love for most people to still talk and express with the swapping out of the facial maps, because while it's a simple trick I would still love that sort of thing in a higher poly character.

I would prefer EMI to be completely remodeled though. I think all the characters looked poor and it's not really something higher polys would fix in my opinion.

Also on the cut Domino dialog... is it confirmed that was suppose to appear then? I've read it and it always seemed to me that it was cut purposefully because it revealed too much too soon if I recall, but maybe that is not the case?

And the best part of a Grim Fandango SE would maybe be someone including all the original concept art. That would be lovely. I think all the stuff Peter Chan did for it is amazing. Those pencil/charcoal drawings are ace. Even the stuff in the leaked Grim Fandango design document should go in this hypothetical gallery.

On a somewhat related note, much more to a SE or a GF2 I'd prefer someone getting out Insecticide Part 2, or a completely new Insecticide game. Part 1 brought me back a lot of fond memories of playing Grim.

Yeah, that would be ideal. It sucks were all stuck with the second half of the game on a tiny DS screen with the graphics cut back so much. Too bad it looks like this is never going to happen. :(

Also on the cut Domino dialog... is it confirmed that was suppose to appear then? I've read it and it always seemed to me that it was cut purposefully because it revealed too much too soon if I recall, but maybe that is not the case?

The Domino dialog wasn't really cut. It seems like it was just another of the game's many problems with faster PCs. Yet it was never fixed in the official patch. The first time I played Grim, the dialog worked perfectly fine.

Yeah I agree the character models are good even in low poly just because it suits what it the game is about and the art direction, but even then I would just love to see things smoothed out. It wouldn't make a ton of difference on the skeletons to maybe have suits with slight wrinkles around the edges and sleeves that weren't boxes, but it would sure make a great difference to Glottis for instance, who could really use some smoothing out.

Hell, I would love for most people to still talk and express with the swapping out of the facial maps, because while it's a simple trick I would still love that sort of thing in a higher poly character.

Yeah, definitely. I'd love to see them smoothed out, but nothing more than that.

Archived