Home

MineCraft

jrrtoken

Rock, Paper, Shotgun ran a feature on the surprisingly-successful indie game MineCraft last week. For those of you that don't know what MineCraft is, imagine a truly infinite open world like Oblivion but with the terrain composed of cubes. Now imagine that you have the ability to modify and manipulate that environment near-any way; that's MineCraft.

Of course, its namesake is very indicative of it's gameplay; you mine assorted rocks & minerals and you craft tools, buildings, anything else out of said rock. This involves exploring the limitless world, full of oddities and treasures. Oh, and might I mention that hordes of skeletons, zombies, and spiders all climb out of their caves at night, thirsty for quadrangular blood? Naturally, this is where MineCraft becomes an amazing dungeon crawler, as the "dungeons" can be so expansive that you'll quickly become lost or trapped in them. And watch out for lava.

Words can't grasp what MineCraft is really about, so playing it can. The latest update on Friday overloaded the servers, so the one-time €10 account fee has been waived for the weekend, or at least until the new server arrives and is up and running. By the way, MineCraft is still in "Alpha", which is utterly ridiculous, since it seems chock-full of gameplay enough to be sold as a final, retail product.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My name is jawathehutt and my drug of choice is minecrack. I began using in January. It started with a free copy from my friend. In febuary, my new drug pusher gave me a gift copy so I had the legit stuff. Now I spend my time building pyramids in pyramids in pyramids and obsidian houses with the help of my beloved inventory editor. Please help me Dr Drew

I finally finished my castle. I started by chopping a mountain in half and then building the castle on top. Then I wanted a moat. It had water at first. Then I hollowed out the mountain and built an indoor pool. Added a lava disco floor, and the floating lava tower thingy. Then I switched up the moat with lava.

I started out not cheating, but then said screw it and started using an inventory editor.

I think my next castle will be a sky castle. I read somewhere that waterfalls can be used as an elevator. Should be cool.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

20110317144258.th.png

20110317145641.th.png

20110317145640.th.png

20110317144244.th.png

20110317145610.th.png

20110317144228.th.png

20110317145443.th.png

20110317144206.th.png

20110317145421.th.png

20110317144115.th.png

20110317145314d.th.png

20110317143828.th.png

20110317145109.th.png

• 1 month later...

I finally put something on top.

Before:

20110322205403.jpg

After:

skycastle1.jpg

skycastle2.jpg

I started with water elevators, but I didn't like having to use a boat to go back up. I ended up building a ladder inside the lava column. I actually still haven't finished. I've just been sidetracked with other things lately.

Thats pretty epic. I will post some of my creations eventually. Could I get a copy of that world once its finished?

Here you go. There are train tracks from the land castle that lead to the docks by the sky castle. I also started on a ship, but my video game ADD kicked in and I never finished it.

I don't have any mods, just a texture pack, so I don't think there will be any problems just copying that folder into your saves.

i recommend anyone go on youtube and watch the Yogscast. There is a huge series about minecraft of two guys playing together and it's really entertaining and funny. It teaches you a lot about minecraft too, and it's responsible, alongside my best friend, for my current addiction to it :p

Wow, I was gonna post some of my creations but after wandering through your world mine seem kinda pathetic in comparison

It should be noted that I cheated like crazy. I did like half the land castle using blocks I actually mined, and then said screw it and started using MineEdit to spawn blocks in my inventory. I wanted to build more than mine.

That would be sweet. A LF minecraft server.

It wouldn't be anything fancy. If what I've read online is correct, my server/bandwidth can host about 10 people. At the moment, I haven't setup the minecraft server as a windows service yet. Until then, I have to start the server via the .exe and leave the remote desktop connection window open.

If anyone wants to hop on the server, you can get in touch with me. Easiest method is via Steam (LF Steam Group link in my sig). It most definitely will not be running unless someone bugs me to turn it on, or if I'm playing on it.

The server is whitelisted (PM/IM me your minecraft nick) and does authenticate names with minecraft.net (so you need an account or something).

Oh, and I actually haven't tested the connection/port forwarding outside my network. So need a guinea pig.

Looks like everything works.

I've found something even more entertaining than building. I made a copy of my main save, and have filled my inventory with TNT. I now know that with the exception of my panic room in my underground throne room, all of my creations are highly vulnerable to hundreds of blocks of tnt

Archived