Home

[TSL] New Planet: Cathalan

Jaevyn

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than giving you my typical breakdown of progress, I have decided to show you by way of the modded areas that have been completed (marked DONE), to partly completed (marked STARTED), to those that are have not been attempted yet (not marked). As you can see, still a fair bit of work to be done, although alot of the remaining areas are small in nature and size.

HIGH LEVELS

451CAT – Keralt High Level – DONE

MIDDLE LEVELS

452CAT – Keralt Middle Level – DONE

453CAT – Entertainment Complex – DONE

LOWER LEVELS

454CAT – Keralt Lower Level – STARTED

455CAT – Wyvern Dragon's Base

456CAT – Cathalan Warrior's Base

DARK LANDS

457CAT – Dark Lands

459CAT – Outsiders Hideout

460CAT – The Crypts

OTHER “UNDEFINED” AREAS

458CAT – Mattersan District

461CAT – Sector Fifty-One

I have four more screenshots to give to you guys as well as a few announcements. Rather than re-skinning every single modded area (which is highly time consuming and difficult), I'm reskinning certain modules that I feel do not give the right gravitas to their setting. I've already completely reskinned the High Levels, and I intend to do some reskinning of the lower levels. The Dark Lands will get a complete overhaul as well as the Crypts. Other areas will experience minimal structural changes, but will nonetheless feel different with small changes in atmosphere and hues.

Here are the pictures below:

screen9.png

The Entertainment Complex. Rather than reskinning the whole lot, I've changed the dynamic colour and added fog. Basically it feels almost like a unique level with minimal effort.

screen10.png

With greater encounters and chances to advance plots, you'll come across chances to also increase or decrease your influence with your companions.

screen11.png

This picture shows the Lower Levels, which I plan to heavily re-skin to make them look and feel more desperate and depraved. As you can see, the occupants already fit that description.

screen12.png

As you go through the planet, you'll come across more desperate individuals, depraved enemies, and what basically amounts to a nice amount of potential experience.

Time for your thoughts. Is there anything which you think needs improvement or revision from what you can see?

Really great but one question: How come all the people are orange?

It appears that way because the display settings on my computer are low, but also because it is the hue or light that is prevalent on the planet. When on brighter resolutions, the orange will not appear so marked.

It appears that way because the display settings on my computer are low, but also because it is the hue or light that is prevalent on the planet. When on brighter resolutions, the orange will not appear so marked.

Your display-settings shouldn't interfere with how a screenshot looks on our computers, I think. Anyways, I think the idea of different colored people pretty good, especially with the explanation of the air on Cathalan. But I'd suggest to try actually make it visible that the air is kinda orange too (if that's possible at all, I never worked on modules so far). So far, the contrast between the persons and their surroundings is too high, imho.

Otherwise, GREAT JOB :thmbup1:, looking really forward to this mod!

Btw. If you need more VO actors (especially some with an accent for example for an alien), I'd be happy to help, I have good equippement to record.

Looking nice. I would suggest possibly forgoing the orange people...just use orange in the light but it may be a bit hard to have orange coloured character models ...just a thought. Otherwise looks great. thanks for keeping us updated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update on how far I've progressed. Things have slowed up somewhat, but by doing a little bit each day I have managed to get through the Lower Levels and am now working on The Dark Lands.

HIGH LEVELS

451CAT – Keralt High Level – DONE

MIDDLE LEVELS

452CAT – Keralt Middle Level – DONE

453CAT – Entertainment Complex – DONE

LOWER LEVELS

454CAT – Keralt Lower Level – DONE

455CAT – Wyvern Dragon's Base – DONE

456CAT – Cathalan Warrior's Base – DONE

DARK LANDS

457CAT – Eastern Dark Lands STARTED

459CAT – Western Dark Lands

460CAT – Outsiders Hideout

461CAT – The Crypts

OTHER “UNDEFINED” AREAS

458CAT – Mattersan District

462CAT – Sector Fifty-One

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now well into constructing the Dark Lands, I've now created all the scenery and am now creating the scripts involved.

While the inhabited areas of Keralt (High, Middle and Lower) were designed to set up the atmosphere and look in depth at the social and political problems of Cathalan, the Dark Lands is structured to increase the intrigue in the stroy line. Basically this is where the story line really begins to heat up and some unexpected things are revealed about what has truly gone on before entering the Dark Lands. Here you get to meet the fabled "Outsiders", who are described by many figures as being dangerous. You also run into the Sharrakan, a sub-set of humans who were cast out of Cathalan society into the depths below.

A BRIEF HISTORY:

The Dark Lands is an area of the planet that has a regulated air supply, in other words, the air is actually breathable. It is on the surface at the bottom of the structures built to house Cathalan's denizens. The Dark Lands used to be a designated mining area for Trittium, which was a principal export before the societal schism between the aristocracy and the miners that continues today. As a result, the former mines are now largely uninhabited except by the Sharrakan and mining droids that have suffered binary decay.

No one knows where the valuable Trittium was exported to except for the rich ancestors of those who ran the mine. However, it is known that Trittium was easily attainable and was used to create very flexible, yet sturdy armour. Some of the armour has even managed to find its way into the republic, although few understand the process in which it is created, let alone who created it.

The more I hear, the better it sounds. Keep the good work!

P.S. Although this sounds a little like Taris, don't you think?;)

There've been a bunch of stories/games with planets or cities where the rich live on top, with lower and lower layers for lower classes. Depending on the story around/within it, it's still very possible to keep such a city/planet different enough to feel original though. From what we've seen so far (and obviously the finished product would have even more depth), it sounds reasonably distinct from Taris already.

On a semi-related side note, I've always thought about the possibility of a location where the opposite is true (maybe a mostly underground city where land on/near the surface is less desirable than deeper locations, perhaps due to radiation, or some more original idea that I haven't though of). The heroes of the story/game might come upon what they think is a small town on an inhospitable world, hear the people talking in fear about the 'Underdwellers' or something. Assuming the underdwellers are monsters of some sort (villager: oh, they're monsters all right), they'd find that they were in fact the higher castes of society. Perhaps an angry surfacedweller might find the robot-guarded surface air vents that filter and provide air for the underdwellers, and try to sabotage them, freeing his people from oppression, but committing genocide to do so. And now I really really wish I had time to make a planet.

Archived