Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

My question is: I never spent so much time in EV stuck in the mind trap, so is it random who goes into the mind trap or does it have anything to do formula that considers HP/armoring?

As far as anyone knows, it is random. TECHNICALLY the tank (or person at the top of the threat list) is not supposed to get mind trapped. 99% sure that was in the "patch notes" way back (before 1.2), yet it still happens.

I don't like to blame wipes on "being unlucky" but in this fight, sometimes there is no other explanation, like if someone gets a lightning ball and then is being tossed immediately after (to then die in mid flight).

As a developer, I would think they should add some "this person just got a lightning ball, they are off the random pick list for the next effect." but what do I know.

First time I saw this last night too. I hit a commando with a +5000 heal (with use of an adrenal), but he got no healing, he took +5000 damage at the same time. This happened twice, both times while solving the puzzle. Not sure if that was a bug or not, because I find that very hard to believe because there was nothing pounding on him at the time…the bad guy was pounding me at the time.

My guess is a "bug," haven't seen this one before.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as anyone knows, it is random. TECHNICALLY the tank (or person at the top of the threat list) is not supposed to get mind trapped. 99% sure that was in the "patch notes" way back (before 1.2), yet it still happens.

Our group can testify that the tank does get mind trapped. Our tank got mind trapped last night just as he was getting Soa in position.

Yeah, I meant to say that they do even when not supposed to. Probably meant to write "TECHNICALLY the tank is not supposed to get mind trapped but still does." but I got myself hung up on trying to remember when it was that they "fixed" that.

• 3 weeks later...

What is your greatest The Old Republic Moment?

Mine was tonight, kind of happened in one of my failures, but who cares. We were doing HM Eternity Vault, really good run up until SOA. My smuggler even was fairly quick in downing the boss in the infernal council. Was about the 5th or 6th one finished, which I consider really good for a smuggler healer.

Got to SOA feeling really confident in the group one shot him, but we wiped two are three times… Not really sure why, we missed some ancient power sources (not likely with this group) or a bug (my general thought), any ways was starting to think here we go again. Anyways we finally got things going well on our last run, but someone fell on the way down to the final fight with SOA… then we got a little bad luck with lighting ball and the mind trap, still we were making good progress with DPS and the tank was doing a very good job. Then towards the last 10% they yelled everyone DPS, knowing we were down a person I put an all out effort into my DPS skills (or lack thereof). Problem here is it cost me a bunch of energy in the process, I was hoping he would die, but he got back his shield with 2 or 3 percent HP left, so we had to get him under 1 more Pillar. Now the tank was in dire need of a heal, my energy is gone so I get to work healing him as best I could, but I messed up and threw out the big life saving heal just as the tank died. The offtank was already dead. Pretty sure he was the one that fell at the start of stage 3. It just so happened that the big heal I thrown out as the tank died put the agro on my little healer and I heard the yell to get him under the last pillar. Now as a healer I have never even seen the pillars except when they fell on me or someone that I was healing. In a fight my eyes are pretty glued to the ops health bars. I guess they figured this out and yell for me to get him to the center of the room. I threw out some heals to DPS as I kited him toward the center. Pretty much knew I was done for, but wanted to give them the best chance possible to finish him off. The smugglers moving heals are not that great, but I managed a couple and then died at the center of the room as the pillar knocked down SOA final shield. The DPS mowed him down rather quickly. So all ended perfectly and normally, I’m not sure Brem has ever finished that fight on her feet except in a mindtrap… However, I felt pretty good that I didn’t panic with him chasing me and either jump out of combat or surrender. Most likely looked like a idiot running around in circles trying to see the pillar, but I am rather proud that we got it done.

I’m signing Brem up to be off tank in the next HM ops. :)

Okay as a noob to MMOs, what is the proper MMO etiquette when someone is having serious connection problems that jeopardize the group activity?

I mean if I keep disconnecting during a ops should the group just throw me out? What if it is Mav (TWC Guild Master) having trouble and the group throws him out? Should I leave too?

My personal view is if I am having problems that is hurting the group, I am more than willing to leave if the group can find a replacement.

Not sure about the Mav example, but if I am the one getting thrown out because of connection problems or that I just plain stink, I expect everyone of you to stay. Unless I'm just a complete jerk, I will understand and to me not letting down the group is more important...Well that and the chance you could upgrade your gear.

But what is the proper MMO etiquette? Had something like this happen recently and I would like to know from MMO veterans.

• 1 month later...

Why people are reading this forum; I just sent a sweet brown hooded cloak from my Jedi to my Sith (Cross faction mail is ok between Legacy) But it turned my sweet brown robe in to a crap purple sith kimono... the ones I hated already which led me to the long process of inter-faction clothing trade.... is this just the way it is? am I doomed to wear crap gear forever?

• 4 weeks later...

okay some noob questions from me.

1. PVP in the Republic Fleet. What is it? There is a terminal where I can do PVP missions and apparently to get some really equipment you need warzone commendations and such and I figure you have to get them in this PVP mission thing. Plus what lvl is good for starting in PVP?

2. As asked way earlier in this thread by Lynk, has there been anymore comp customizations and if so where can I find them?

Plus, I just discovered last night that all this time I thought I was on the Jedi Covenant server and I realized I am on the Shadowlands server.

(just throwing that in there)

3. If you are part of a guild but want to leave the guild how do you do it?

I helped out a guy awhile back and he asked me to join Maximus. I accepted but most of them are already lvl 50 and just doing OPs or World Boss missions and I never seem to see them except the occosional runin on the fleet where they have no idea who I am and just ignore me :). Not that I have tried to talk to them or anything.

So if you wanted to leave a guild and look for another one can you?

But I ran into someone today who said they saw I was part of a guild and what I thought of it. I said I really don't know because I haven't interacted with them. I asked him/her if she wanted to join and he/she said he/she would think about it but wanted to look around more.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Edit: I learned /clubdance from a group in a flashpoint. Was a really funny moment where I said I can't dance and the Twilek stopped dancing and turned and faced me and said you can't dance?

Well they taught me to dance.

What are some others? Like someone saluted me and I didn't know how to salute back and things like that.

1. Yeah, the PvP mission terminal gives you missions with warzone rewards and the like. The PvP isn't actually on the Fleet, though, you just accept the missions there. To enter a PvP match, you need to enter the PvP queue, the button for that's on the map GUI (if I'm not mistaken, it's the Empire/Republic sign). A lower level gets teamed up with other low level players, so you don't find yourself fighting 50s (as it was at the start).

2. There are customization vendors on certain planets. I know Taris and Belsavis had one, there might be more.

3. /gquit in the chatbox. A shame you're not on Harbinger...

4. Most if not all emotes can be found by clicking on the little figure in the chat GUI. There's quite a lot of them. You can also create your own emotes with /e "text" (without the "").

Yeh I know I didn't think to check where everyone was before I started. But I have made some new friends in Shadowlands so its really cool. Still might make some toons on the Harbinger later with or without legacy.

Thanks for the info Miltiades

Edit: So I ask about leaving a Guild and lo and behold a guild member invites me to a group with one of the 50's. Had a good time and now most of them talk to me. Still not completely sold yet even tho the one who invited me did make me a part for my droid and we did a mission together today so I could finish all of Tatooine. Think I will hang around for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

So more noob questions from me.

I finally got my legacy, now what to do with it. I hear you give to your next toon and whatever it is becomes more powerful and the further you go down the line of toons the more powerful it gets. Is this true? I got a legacy box. I haven't opened it yet because I didn't know if I should open it first and then send it to my next toon who is thought out but not made yet.

Is the Jedi Sentinal class quest really that hard? I have a guy who is about 3 or 4lvls below me. We have teamed up in the past for heroic quests and such but he has invited me on some of his class quests saying the boss is really difficult. Personally I think its his strategy and not the boss. For example on the heroic quests he doesn't wait to figure out who and what to attack first he just attacks. The only time I got him to listen was when he was dead (happens alot) and I said this next guy has about 89k hit points, let me flash him and then go thru my routine first I can knock off 2000hps off the bat. Don't attack until Spar does. He waits and Spar soaks up all the damage and HE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only does he live but none of us died.

The bosses he has trouble with don't seem to be that hard or any harder than the class bosses (which include a few dark jedi as well) I face and I am just a smuggler.

If I shoot a guy first and then someone else in the group kills him does he just light up for me or for both of us. It seems in some groups I will see someone lit up and noone is going after the loot so I go after it.

Do I get xp points and legacy points for PVP and Warzones?

Why is there no Tython commendation vendor in the republic fleet? I went to Tython just to get the datacrons and got some Tython comms. Can't spend them anywhere but Tython. Am just going to give them to my next toon which will be a jedi but was just wondering.

Speaking of datacrons. If the Legacy system lets your next toon have certain perks does that include the abilities you learned from all the datacrons your first toon found?

All I can think of for now. :)

Just for fun the 2 best names I have seen, well maybe not best but funniest, other people use are

Captain Under Pants

Busty Panty Chaser

Chances are he's just bad. Or he's used to being able to burst them down quick and be done. he might be new at MMO's. When I did my smuggler story, there was the one mission on Tattooine that had me beat down(Jedi, Sith and the fatso), but they fixed that to be a bit more doable. My Sentinel had no real problems with the class story.

If the guy lights up, sometimes it's something just for you. Or it's something that each of you can get your own. At any rate, if nobody is going for it, grab it. it may be something for a mission you didn't realize you had.

I know you get XP for PVP. I think you get lagacy as well.

I don't remember about the tython vendor, I thought there was...

Legacy allows you to share some abilities. Datacrons are not they.

yeh that quest with the dark jedi and fatso on tatooine got me as well. I managed to kill the dark jedi but I had to switch from Bowdaar to Corso to finally kill the big guy.

What about the legacy box? Do I open it or leave it closed before I send it?

Thanks for the answers by the way.

I have done more knight bosses than even smuggler bosses with either my smuggler or my shadow. I was paranoid about playing as a knight, but so far I haven't had to call anyone for help. Think it is largely new players are drawn to Knights and most of the time I have noticed they are not correctly equipped.

@Tommycat - I know that quest well. It is still the only leveling quest in game where I have had to call in help to get past it. Still annoys me, want to reroll another sawbones just to prove to myself I can do it solo. Brem had to call Lynk and Mav to get past it after spending every credit to her name on medpacs and repairs. I think I died 30 times and almost quit the game.

Shadow and Agent haven't had any problems soloing everything 2 man and below. Weird playing and not dying out of every cutscene like I did with my smuggler, especially with my agent which is basically the same class. I guess the difference is now knowing a little about MMOs and knowing equipment. Even beyond that knowledge, solo leveling DPS is so much easier than solo leveling a healer.

I dunno... Maybe I'm just a better healer than DPS... Eefluxx, that quest used to be much harder. If you died, it completely reset, kicked you out and you had to do it all over again. I got through it by sheer luck and I think I decided to go after tubbo first and kill the dark jedi second. In the beta it was even worse... I HAD to have someone help me even though I was geared well and over leveled. I had literally done every available quest on Tattooine up to that point.

As for the legacy box... When I did it each of my toons got one.

I thought they still did.

Either way, the reward isn't that great.

I dunno... Maybe I'm just a better healer than DPS...
Well I am a better smuggler healer now than I am DPS, but at that time I was still playing DPS with a healer spec. Pretty much had to unlearn everything I had done getting to level 50 before I became a average healer, but now I have been told more than once in HMFP and Ops that I am a very good healer. Still think I am very average, but I pull my weight in Ops and HMFP. My DPS does great in HMFP, but is carried sometimes in Ops. She is below average, but I will blame the spec and not the player (at least until 1.4 comes out) :xp:

Tommycat - I remember that quest as being one that taught me how to strategize more what I was doing than just picking a target or switching from target to target. The Dark Jedi had less hit points and the jedi in the story was going after her. Tubbo could heal himself plus had the dark jedi healing him. After my second death I just concentrated on the dark jedi so that when I did die next I wouldn't have to worry about her when I revived.

After dieing afterwards I switched from Bowdaar to Corso who for some reason didn't pull as much aggro and tubbo concentrated on the story jedi and me and corso just kept shooting him down.

I ran into an original beta tester yesterday who I was helping on missions since I was waiting to try to put a team together to go after the colicoid queen on Balmorra. He/she was very nice and answered alot of legacy and social questions for me and seemed to really want to help. He was playing gunslinger as well and I was surprised to see his starting routine in fights was exactly like mine. Made me feel like I was actually doing something right all this time.

mim you're probably an outstanding healer if they tell you you are good. Yeah as to the DPS scoundrel, it was really good at first, because you could burst damage your way past most things, but I prefer being able to heal my friends. It wasn't easy to adjust at first to not jumping into the fight. I was a slinger through beta. Which was burst, wait wait wait, Burst, wait wait wait...

• 3 weeks later...

So, more noob questions from me. I am at lvl49 now and seemingly have lost the guy who kept asking for help only to find a new guy who is lower lvl's doing the same thing. I am getting to the point where I automatically look for groups as soon as I log in just so he can't invite me :p.

But questions,

1. If an item is bound can I still send it to MY toons when I get them created? Cause if not then I clear out a whole bunch of space in my cargo bay.

2. What are all the colors you can choose from for Twilek and Mirulian when you get it opened up?

3. Does HM mean hard mode for missions that you may have done earlier?

4. If I send my legacy box to my next toon, even tho I am a smuggler and they are a jedi, can she use it at the Jedi legacy toon vendor instead of the smuggler one?

5. Do the matrix shards I collect all have to be the same color before I can make a relic? And how many do I need to make one and where?

6. Where do you get the artifac fragments to use to purchase from the Curator vendor on the fleet.

7. I found the Tyhon comm vendor on the fleet finally (right next to the Ord Mantell one) but is there a Quesh comm vendor on the fleet and if so where?

8. Speaking of comms, can those be sent thru the mail to my toons or to anyone for that matter?

9. Is there an invisible armor? I see alot of people run around in their underwear and don't seem to take alot of damage.

10. Can you level faster just doing PVP as opposed to doing the story?

11. How do you get Valor points? Mine is still at 1 and I am not sure how I got it. Is there a faster way to get Social points besides grouping in stories, heroics and flashpoints? I am halfway to 3.

12. When I buy faster xp for my legacy toon does that go for all my toons I create afterwards? Or do I need to buy those for them as well?

13. Do you still get Legacy xp after you reach lvl 50 and if so does Legacy xp ever end?

I'll stop right there :p

Thanks in advance

Eefluxx

I'm too lazy to answer all of them...

1. If an item is bound can I still send it to MY toons when I get them created? Cause if not then I clear out a whole bunch of space in my cargo bay.

If it says "Bound" only that character can use it, if it says "Bound to Legacy" than any other character you have on that server can use it.

4. If I send my legacy box to my next toon, even tho I am a smuggler and they are a jedi, can she use it at the Jedi legacy toon vendor instead of the smuggler one?

Yes.

5. Do the matrix shards I collect all have to be the same color before I can make a relic? And how many do I need to make one and where?

http://www.republictrooper.com/matrix-cubes-relic-items/

7. I found the Tyhon comm vendor on the fleet finally (right next to the Ord Mantell one) but is there a Quesh comm vendor on the fleet and if so where?

No, the Quesh comm vendor is only on Quesh for some stupid reason.

8. Speaking of comms, can those be sent thru the mail to my toons or to anyone for that matter?

No.

9. Is there an invisible armor? I see alot of people run around in their underwear and don't seem to take alot of damage.

There are a couple of skimpy pieces of armour available, but no, no invisible armour. Another reason why it may seem like they are taking a lot of damage is because the game may have glitched and hasn't loaded the armour assets on those toons... but I haven't seen that bug occur for quite awhile since it was fixed many moons ago.

10. Can you level faster just doing PVP as opposed to doing the story?

If your legacy level is high enough and you have the money to buy the legacy perks that give you the extra experience points, yup.

11. How do you get Valor points? Mine is still at 1 and I am not sure how I got it. Is there a faster way to get Social points besides grouping in stories, heroics and flashpoints? I am halfway to 3.

You get valor points from PvP. Social points are only if you take part in group conversations and if you defeat hard mode bosses in hard mode flashpoints and operations with other people.

12. When I buy faster xp for my legacy toon does that go for all my toons I create afterwards? Or do I need to buy those for them as well?

No, those particular legacy perks are only for the toon you bought them for.

13. Do you still get Legacy xp after you reach lvl 50 and if so does Legacy xp ever end?

Even if your toon is lv50, you still get legacy exp. The level cap for Legacy at the moment is 50.

Thank you, you answered most of them and the main ones. I guess I need to spend my comms then and sell the items in my cargo bay.

I think I have 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, and 2 green shards so I am looking at the link to see what I can make. Doesn't look like much tho without 3 of the same color for lvl 49 and 50.

2. No clue on Twilek or Mirulian…Easy way to find out is just play with making a toon in one of the classes in which they are open.

3. HM means hard mode, yes. It does not have to be a mission you done earlier. HMFP are missions you may have done earlier, but designed for level 50 toons. However, you also have SM, HM and NIM mode Operations which you cannot do until you are level 50.

8. Like lynk wrote, no…but you can buy mods, enhancement, barrels hilt and other BOE things with the comms and send those through the mail to other toons.

13. Yes it ends..I am a level freak and my main is now level 50, level 50 legacy and level 10 Social…I don’t Pvp, but I am tempted to do so just so I can level something.

***6. I have never figured that out either. Always figured it had something to do with PvP, but I don’t have a clue.

Thanks Mim, for number 3 I have heard you open all the colors for both imperial and republic if you play a certain race to 50 and their are certain colors for each side. Either you play a race to 50 to unlock or you spend 1.5 million creds. I was wondering if it was worth the 1.5 or just playing the race. I wanted a certain color twilek but I don't think they have that certain color.

Actually one more question. Do you have to PVP to get PVP gear?

Actually one more question. Do you have to PVP to get PVP gear?
No... You can get a set of recruit gear for free. Go to the fleet and see the vendor in the PvP section. Even if you don't PvP get that gear just to sell it for credit. To upgrade that gear, then yeah you have to PvP. You can find some on GTN, but you have to have the proper valor level to wear it.

I don't have a 50 Twi'lek, but I will check the Mirialan, I think I have one at level 50. :xp:

Archived