Home

The Old Republic for Dummies

mimartin

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I have seen is some Gear and Relics have lightside/darkside restrictions placed on them.

So going grey can gimp you since you can't use either.

Other than that you get different titles depending on your LS/DS level.

Edit: There are also different missions based on LS/DS.

I think the issue's cleared up. I just saw my DS points were less than the day before, which that one rakghoul quest with the LS/DS option must've been responsible for. Which means, I think, once you hit 10000 LS points, for example, the next LS points you earn detract from the DS points you may have gotten, until none are left. In that case, mim, I think one LS option was all that was needed to erase those 3 or 4 DS points you had gotten.

If I'm right about this, then luckily I can still earn LS V.

Cris, you said you found bonus missions on Nar Shaddaa, when you're 24. You don't start the bonus series until after you finish the planet. Taris Bonus starts around 20(you can see the questgiver in the starport), and Nar Shaddaa's around 29 or 30. They're an extra set of chains and hubs that are higher level that unlock once you finish a world.

But I assume you meant the bonus quests that are attached most of the game's quests that basically put the grind in those optional bonuses.

Sorry, nomenclature bugged me a little. :p

yes my mistake, it was not THE bonus missions, i did see some of those on Taris, but just the add ons to normal missions, my bad, sorry.

Is there a decent PC Walkthrough? I have hit a wall on the Asteroid Station and need help but i dont want a video collection just a decent wallkthough. any suggestions? Google just brings up tons of people trying to sell published walkthroughs or Dark Side stuff.

Is it a good idea to get the secutprity key? I'm not really worried about my account getting hacked, but I heard you can get special stuff from it, is it any good?
Nothing great, but access to another dancers outfit, pets, speeders, equipment, companion mods and fleet passes.

I downloaded it for the dancers outfit, but I use it more for the easy access to fleet passes.

I downloaded it for the dancers outfit, but I use it more for the easy access to fleet passes.

Yup! The fleet passes are a bit of a must IMO. If I'm questing on a sub-50 toon and the guild is gathering for a world boss or operation, I can just pop to the fleet (I use the "skill" one first if available) for that rest exp. Or If I am on a 50 toon and it's the one I'll be using on aforementioned guild outing then I'll do the same to get where everyone is meeting that much faster.

Not to mention times I have been "stuck" in the environment and Quick Travel was not an option and the skill fleet pass still had like 13hrs on cool down.

I have a security key, but I don't use the vendor much. I got a TOR phishing e-mail to my hotmail back in January, and got the security token just to be safe. I think the only thing I've bought from them is the droid that plays music. But there are also Companion Customization Kits that can't be gotten anywhere else. Aric Jorgan got a new one in 1.2, it makes him look blue!

Also, the Rep dancer outfit looks far better than the Imp one. The Imp one is just multicolored and peacocky and weird.

The security token is cheap, so I say get it just to be on the safe side. Going by WoW's experience with the security authenticator, it should make your account basically hackproof. Even with your account name and/or password, the token means they can't get in.

Gear wise (talking non-Jedi classes here) I haven't really seen where it would have matter with my Sawbones or Trooper except in terms of Relics. I think that is the only thing I have on Brem or Manta that has light or dark requirements.

Can't really speak on the Jedi classes as my shadow is only level 30, but so far the only thing I have that requires lightside is the relics and my crystal. Can't see how it is a terrible gimp, but then I haven't really looked into all the relic requirements, I've just always grabbed the best one I could use and afford.

Mim thanks again for the hand with the Slavemaster and thanks Lynk for the tips about the Dune Sea and the Holocron quest, i am sorry i did not get to ride in the Baloon with you but when you jumped in i was just watching it to see where it passed by as i was tired and it was after 3:00 AM here and needed to crash soon, but i love the Dune Sea, it is one of the funnest areas yet, esp on the speeder it is a lot of fun to jet about ...i have spent time in real deserts and that really brought back memories. I enjoyed the StarDream quest too, will try some of the other dailies today. And maybe that pit quest, i can try sneaking in :)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
mewavinggoodbytolynk.jpg

me waving goodby to Lynk who had jumped INTO the basket ON his speeder :)

i love the Desert and the DUNE sea, beautifully done...

edgeofthedunesea.jpg

took me a while to figure out how to get past the Wound and down to the sands...

Show spoiler
thewoundvalleytatooine.jpg

does anyone have a good link for a guide to the Datacron locations ..

Show spoiler
the one on the sandcrawler ..the Strength one is on a lower ledge and it is not clear how to get to it from the guides i have seen, no one makes it clear how to get to that lower ledge...i understand that you may be able to actually get it even on the ground if you stand right next to the side of the Crawler but not sure about that.

Cris, take the balloon. Then drop down to the spot when you get on top of the sandcrawler. You can't get it from the ground. If you're unsure of your speed, turn off sprint, or even hit / on number pad to toggle walking so you don't overshoot. I just turned and faced the wall of the sandcrawler and backpedaled slightly.

Made it to the two Datacrons, thanks a lot for that help and thanks Milla for the wonderful help getting thru the Sand Demon's cave, that ending of that missoin had to be one of the most outrageous ones yet if it was for just one player i dont see any way they could do it alone thanks again.

@ CrisG: I can't believe you didn't jump in too, you were standing there for ages. I was literally off in the distance coming from the Imperial outpost when I saw the balloon right at the sand crawler in the distance. I thought I wasn't gonna make it and I would miss it but I managed to get to the sand crawler and literally made it into the basket at the very last second while you were watching.

I wish I had caught it on video, it was pretty awesome.

@CrisG

A couple things that could help you with boss battles.

1. Make sure you are buffed before a battle. For your Knight this is Force Valor (I think). It increases your Strength Aim, Willpower and Cunning and increase the damage you put out. I’m a buffoholic I buff everyone. So in return I usually have all the classes buffs, because most people will buff you back and you can end up with all the republic class buffs at once. This will really help. Just be more careful than I am about who you buff. Do not buff pvp flagged players (unless in a group) unless you want to be pvp flagged.

2. Save Heroic Moment for the battles you really need it. Heroic Moment last 1 minute and restores about 2% of max health every 3 seconds. Can really make the difference while soloing a boss.

3. I sent you those medpacs that not only heal you but your companion. Use them wisely.

4. Know your abilities. I don’t know anything about being a tank or a knight, but see if you have any stuns or ways to slow a enemy. Use them on the boss and then clear the lower level before going back to the boss.

5. Going through the game as a Tank or Healer is difficult. You may want to consider going back to the fleet to respec. I am not telling you to do this. I will understand if you don’t. I refused to respec my healer and did all, but one battle with her solo because a few people were telling me a couldn’t or shouldn’t do it. However, it will make the game sooooo much easier.

6. Keep your companions up to date and don’t be hardheaded about using different companions. I wanted a Wookiee companion. So I used the Wookiee for about 90% of my class story. However, that was stupid. The game would have been easier and faster had I used a DPS companion instead. Figure out what works best for you and give that companion the best gear, but depending on the boss you are fighting another companion’s ability may make the fight faster and easier, so don’t be afraid to change.

7. If you fail in a battle, remember what you did right and wrong and adapt your strategy accordingly. You may be able to take out one strong enemy in three moves, but a different class of strong enemy may have a healing ability that makes your preferred attack useless, so you have to change your strategy to compensate.

8. Watch you gear. Been reading a little about a Jedi tank, the biggest thing most say is take the better attributes over looks…It is better to look like crap and live than to look good and be dead. Always go with Heavy Armor even if the attributes are better with medium.

9. Last, when you need help call. I’m keeping my shadow near your level so that you still get xp for killing stuff and she is there to help. Also if you want to go back and do the Nar Shaddaa bonus mission (at least level 30), I’ll do them with you. Shadow has zero social points, so you would be doing me a favor. I also don’t believe I have ever done them. This would also help you get a little over leveled. Which will really help you as a tank going solo.

Anyone else have any suggestions (especially someone that knows more about being a guardian or a tank? )Also please correct if I told him anything wrong…I don’t want to hinder a new player when I’m only trying to help.:xp:

wow Mim thanks a lot for all of that, I dont know what force Valor is, i will have to find out which one that is, I was using Heroic for the times i really needed sometihng extra, but i have had to just try to figure out what abilities did what and how they helped...most dont last very long and some of the dependencies are complicated....Force Jump has turned out to be much more helpful than i thought, and i try to guess right when i have to choose which points to add to which skills. I did not know we could re spec ..i thought i was stuck with Tank, but certainly will change it if will make things easier, the boss battles have been just about unwinable most of the time hence my asking for help which has been so generously offered. thanks for the Nar Shaddaa offer, i noticed there was a mission person in the terminal but she would not give it to me yet which may be those bonus missions, when i get to 30 i will be happy to work on them with your shadow, i dont have any social points at all either, i better go back and get that social start from Corrisant as i deleted it.

I have tried to do as you say, re equipment, looking good was second to trying to get the highest value on equipment, re the companions, i have kept Kira equiped up but have ignored the bot as he seemed pretty useless in the battles i tried him in, but did go thru and give him what i could in equipment, and will try using him. the only other companion i have is the lame talking droid on the ship and he does not seem to be good for much of anything. One thing i had hoped to do but not figure out yet is send the other companoins on missions but have not figure out how to do that yet.

thanks again for the great suggestions.

Lynk, i am sorry i did not get in the basket with you it would have been fun and you might have helped me avoid jumping out too fast once..and another time, i fell thru the basket because i tried sitting down...do NOT sit in the basket, you will fall thru, i am going to send a note to Bioware about that it appears to be a bug. Your leap was spectaular, and quite a surprise. I am still shy about talking to you much being our Guild Master and leader but i do appreciate so much your help with many things.

A couple of times strangers or players i was not sure who they were helped me with boss battles which was very nice so i have started hanging out around some of the toughest bosses and helping others too, it is a nice way to say thank you and passing it forward.

i will be back in the game at work soon, have to do some shopping but will be back at work shortly, have to finish a few last missions in Tatoooine and then on to Alderaan. thanks again.

Archived