Home

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Istorian

I really want to hear Microsoft's side of the story about using Metro on the desktop. No taskbar as Lynk says, no close or exit button etc. It's pretty for sure and I'd enjoy using it, but not being able to close a program is a stupid idea.

I tried that Chess program they had, then alt+tabbed to IE and two minutes later - the Chess game is gone, it auto-exited and my game went with it. :/

Yeah the way it auto-manages the programs is very tablet-like when it shouldn't be, though perhaps it can be adjusted somewhere in the settings? I'd say it'd fall under power management.

As for closing down Metro programs, I hear the way to do it (on a tablet at least) is to press and hold near the bottom of the screen and then drag your finger off-screen, that closes the program. Not ideal for a mouse+keyboard setting though, of course I default to alt+f4 to do that anyway.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Oh, this is a good vid for people who want to know more and don't really know much about W8 to begin with.

EDIT:

Here's a look at some of the metro and desktop programs...

I'm pretty satisfied with Windows 7, so I'll probably wait to switch unless there's a really good reason like an insanely low upgrade price or something.

Yeah same here, I'm all for fancy looks so as long as my OS looks purty I'm happy :p

Woah, that ultrabook/tablet (ultratab? oh gosh, not another derived classification) looks fantastic. I'm looking to get a new computing device for university, and would really like to have the UI and features of a tablet-like device, but also the productivity of a laptop. I also really like the idea of ultrabooks. This IdeaPad Yoga is *exactly* what i'm looking for!

Problem is, I don't think I can wait that long for the second generation ultrabooks to come out, or Windows 8.. :(

Make it easier to learn, you mean. Not having to dig through menus and submenus and having all the buttons spread out before you makes the software much more accessible by first-time users. The Start-menu-replaced-with-metro works on the same idea, more or less.

I hope the Metro UI succeeds in this, for the sake of all the non-tech savvy people out there. They deserve to have a well designed, easy to use UI that doesn't come from Apple, with all its trademark devilishly-effective, evil marketing. :p

If anyone has an hour and thirty minutes to burn and watch the Mobile World Congress 2012 keynote about Windows 8... you're in luck!

It's too bad Microsoft's Xbox keynotes at E3 each year are nowhere near as intelligent as this.

EDIT: I just finished watching that just now and... wow, they have me convinced.

I'm on my second year of my Bachelor of Education course and in a couple more years I'll be teaching in schools, though technically I'll be teaching this year as well, but you know what I mean.

As I watched that keynote, I imagined myself in teaching situations where I'm using a W8 laptop at school and other places to do work while on the go and then coming back home and working on my desktop and moving seamlessly between the two devices. Hell, I could even have a W8 tablet, a small 10" ARM based one, and take that on field trips and document things and even take pics and stuff and then when I go back to school or back home, all of the new content will be shared across devices.

Right now I kind of do that with my home PC running Windows 7 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android Honeycomb. I've had it for over a year now and I think it's great and very easy to use, I use Dropbox so I can sync all of my uni work between my PC and my tablet very easily and share content. It's great, but it could be better, and looking at the Windows 8 demonstration in that keynote highlighted exactly how much better it could be.

One operating system for everything, why not? If I had 3 devices, a desktop, a laptop and a tablet all running Windows 8 then I'd be set.

I don't switch between multiple Windows devices, so I appear to not be part of the target audience for Win8 (and will therefore be sticking to Win7).

Being an XB360 owner, I have been forced against my will to be exposed to Metro UI though. Trying to navigate my music/movie collection via Metro UI was a nightmare. I'm sure there'll be an option to make it not completely suck in Win8, but I'm still going to pass.

Actually there's another thing about Windows 8 that's gotten me excited, and it's something I've wanted for many, many years.

That keynote demonstrated to me something very profound, the ability Windows 8 will have to encourage hardware manufacturers such as Samsung and Dell to create multi-touch monitors that also have a pen input and the ability to tilt the screen and adjust it so it sits like a drafting board.

I've dreamed of monitors like this for so long and these guys in the Windows 8 keynote were playing with one right there on stage. I would get one of these monitors and Windows 8 just so I can get all of this functionality right out of the box with no additional drivers or anything. It's a dream come true for me.

Folks think desktop = mouse + keyboard... but I think it could be so much more.

^Don't we know it. Consoletards...

Actually there's another thing about Windows 8 that's gotten me excited, and it's something I've wanted for many, many years.

That keynote demonstrated to me something very profound, the ability Windows 8 will have to encourage hardware manufacturers such as Samsung and Dell to create multi-touch monitors that also have a pen input and the ability to tilt the screen and adjust it so it sits like a drafting board.

I've dreamed of monitors like this for so long and these guys in the Windows 8 keynote were playing with one right there on stage. I would get one of these monitors and Windows 8 just so I can get all of this functionality right out of the box with no additional drivers or anything. It's a dream come true for me.

Folks think desktop = mouse + keyboard... but I think it could be so much more.

This looks intredasting...

Archived