Home

Haha, breakthrough!

Sithspecter

Now you should make drivable vehicles.

Well, some people should be careful what they wish for. Because I took that idea, and I made it happen in about 15 minutes.

I know what you're thinking, you're like: :raise:

But you're about to be like: :eek:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
woof01.jpg

Show spoiler
woof02.jpg

Show spoiler
woof03.jpg

That's right. I took a speeder and made it into a playable character. Say hello to cool new KotOR mods! I've long suspected that it would be fairly easy to do something like this, but I finally got around to it. It was pretty ridiculously simple to be honest. Now I've got to figure out how to make it go really fast.

Amazing work, SS! :)

Thanks. So far, I've only figured out how to make it accelerate smoothly and increase the size of the player walkmesh (for lack of a better term). I still have no idea on how to change the camera distance or the walking/running speed.

On the camera, I'm not too sure how much luck you'll have: camera distance appears to be set in camerastyles.2da, and so would appear to only be alterable in the .are file for an area.

On the other hand, appearance.2da does contain a cameraspace field (after the clothing model and texture fields), which may do something useful: it appears to have settings for some characters, like Carth, but not for others. The setting does not appear to be used for player characters by the game.

All you've got to do is add the character into the vehicle, which shouldn't be very hard. Just put him on there like those guys in the Calo Nord scene on Tatooine, right?

From the pictures SS added over at Deadly Stream, it seems like he might have added that as a possibility.

Show spoiler

woof06.jpg

Show spoiler
woof06.jpg

Amazing work, SS! :)

On the camera, I'm not too sure how much luck you'll have: camera distance appears to be set in camerastyles.2da, and so would appear to only be alterable in the .are file for an area.

On the other hand, appearance.2da does contain a cameraspace field (after the clothing model and texture fields), which may do something useful: it appears to have settings for some characters, like Carth, but not for others. The setting does not appear to be used for player characters by the game.

I've messed with a few of the fields, but it appears that the cameraspace one doesn't really make a noticeable difference. However, I feel that this will be a fairly specific application, and that if it is going to be used in mods, it will only be in specific areas. This way, the area can be tailored to fit the vehicle, and the camera change for that area won't affect the normal play.

And I'm pretty sure that I can't make this to use the PC specific model. The Iridonian is integrated into the model, and while there might be a way around that, I don't think that it's worth the trouble.

I said something similar to this over on DeadlyStream but since I didn't post a function along with it I'll repeat myself here.

You can call this effect to make a movement speed increase

effect EffectMovementSpeedIncrease(int nNewSpeedPercent);

I used the other effect of this nature, EffectMovementSpeedDecrease, and it worked so this should too, theoretically.

Archived