Home

Knights of the Old Republic III : The Jedi Masters 2.0 (beta)

Trex

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back from Christmas stuff!

So, I've just discovered that I skipped over a huge portion of the game and went right to Rhen Var instead of gathering the Jedi Masters. Hmm. This is... disappointing.

I believe it's my fault for seeing Cressa and not going to the Senate itself. Still, it would be better if the game didn't allow me to advance the plot in that fashion prematurely, even though my own oversight caused the situation.

How did you manage this exactly?

Where you just allowed access to Cressa's office right after Revan's speech?

Um, is the Plague Victim NPCs(which is just the same NPC spawned a couple of times) supposed to be able to be farmed for LS and DS points and you can also get infinite amounts of XBoost at some point after using a few.

And btw, in your opinions

[spoiler Alert]

Who are the best apprentices?

No, you were only supposed to be able to do the xboost stuff once. Looks like an oversight on my part.

Personally, my favourite apprentices are Rimi and Thassk, but in terms of skill they're all about equal.

2- You broke the 4th wall and actually acknowledge that you are playing a game and there is a save option- this takes a player out of the game.

Maybe that's the British mentality coming through. :)

Honestly, games made by the British seem to have a habit of breaking the fourth wall now I'm thinking through the ones I've played.

I'll make the HK quest a little clearer in the final release and probably reduce the amount of credits he asks for.

I've seen two people now having issues with Vima not being present. Is there anyone who can confirm that they were able to find her on Aid Station?

Trex, might I suggest posting your unique ship models to the Holowan Model Repository? Perhaps folks would be able to create higher resolution movies for you were you to do this.

Sadly, most of the ships I used were purchased soI don't think I'm allowed to share them. Here's an example : http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/paklet-frigate-poser-obj-3ds-max/86895

The I think the loss of quality isn't so much to do with animations (I did all in HD), it's more to do with the way RAD converted them into biks.

Here's a link to one of the movies before conversion : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ncodl6sm7xy888w/TJM040.mp4

If anyone can convert this to a higher quality than what's in the beta, please go ahead and I'd be happy to send you the rest of them to convert.

Trex, I didn't actually do the Revan Senate speech when I got that glitch. I think I just walked right up to Cressa's office (with Revan in the party) and had the conversation with the guard. Ideally, the game wouldn't allow you to have that conversation until the appropriate time.

Trex what about my bugged party screen?

I'll be honest, I've read through your earlier post and have no idea what happened.

Do you know when the second Canderous turned up?

Trex, I didn't actually do the Revan Senate speech when I got that glitch. I think I just walked right up to Cressa's office (with Revan in the party) and had the conversation with the guard. Ideally, the game wouldn't allow you to have that conversation until the appropriate time.

Sounds like something I need to block off in the next release. Thanks for letting me know.

Where are all the Iridonians with the keys located?

1- Jedi temple

2- Lower slums on Coruscant

3- Coruscant landing pads

4- Coruscant mainstreet near slums entrance

5-(the only non-Coruscant one) Etti IV docks. Explore the area full of steam and engineers.

I'll be honest, I've read through your earlier post and have no idea what happened.

Do you know when the second Canderous turned up?

If I remember correctly it happened right after I took Kannos into my party.

On another note, I think it might be caused by some of Shadow's persuasion checks, i.e. asking about his past. I have no idea why this would influence anything though. And most people don't seem to have this problem... I think. He works fine on the player ship though. He's just not selectable after I recruit Kannos and after the "encounter" after finding Revan and Kannos being removed from the ship Kannos himself still stays selectable in the group albeit with his normal lines.

And by the way Kannos has a personal quest!? What personal quest? The walkthrough spoke of it.

The Jedi Masters 2.0 (Beta) Review

For years, fans of the kotor series hungered for a Kotor 3 and Trex has tossed his hat into the arena to bring us his epic vision called Knight of the Old Republic: The Jedi Masters (Beta). This is a total conversion/story conversion which gives us a new story which took me about 16 hours to complete.

Trex’s production was started before the release of the Revan Book, and the MMO’s details so don’t expect it to fit into the established Star Wars Kotor Canon but expect an entertaining story that fits nicely into the kotor1/2 universe. The TJM does use the Canon Male Revan Light side and Female Exile Light side for its foundation of the story.

This is TJM 2.0 and I have played 1.0 as well so this review will also touch on how the two versions are different to help show how Trex has polished and expanded the game.

Story

The story opens up several years after the last game with the Republic broken up into five factions who are not the best of neighbors to each other. The game’s atmosphere is closer to kotor2 then kotor1, because of the way the Syyth (main antagonist) is portrayed. The opening intro helps you quickly know there is a threat, and they are on their way to the known space which helps give that feeling of urgency before the first scene with the PC.

The game has a dark tone with the Jedi being outlawed and the factions looking as if they are on the verge of war over one dispute or another, you will be surprised that there is a good deal of humor in the game. The humor can sometimes be a hit or miss at times due to its placement in the dark story.

You play as Doctor, who is interested in the missing Jedi Revan. During your adventure, you will need to obtain allies on your mission to seek out this former savior of the Republic. During your quest, you will meet engaging characters like Canderous’s son Boran, a shape changing Jawa, and an assassin named Shadow. There are some nice twists and a delightful back story that can be discovered by talking to your companions.

While the story in 2.0’s version is longer and more fleshed out, it does lose its sense of urgency around the 2nd act of the story. Version 1.0 seem to have a more dire feel due to a planet annihilation scene. TJM 2.0's tension does pick up in the last few hours of the game as you get to make your way to the final battle.

Design/Gamplay

Once you start playing TJM you will see that it keeps to the basic rules of the last two kotor games which should make players feel right at home. The game quickly introduces you to the main players of the story early on and puts you in a situation where you get the ability of the Force. However, even though it’s creative in how it goes by giving the player the Force, it does seem to be a tad rushed, and I would have loved to see more of the Doctor (PC) using his research skills more actively in these scenes.

The game gives you plenty of locations to visit during the game, but at times you can get lost or confused on where to go next. Version 2.0 has Journal entries to help keep players informed on active quests, but you will find some areas seem to have a good deal of back traveling through multiple zones. This can slow up the pace of the game. It is especially present when you go to a returning planet where you completed all the side quests earlier, and you find yourself running through numerous modules just to talk to a Jedi Master and ask for him/her to join you.

TJM's quests in the game can range from engaging to simple NPC asking for you to give an item to one of three NPCs. The HK-47’s main planet quest, the droid romance quest as well as finding a way to acquire back the leadership of the Company on Etti were creative and enjoyable. I have stated in an earlier post about the confusion with the details on how to solve the spy droid quest, but I have been reassured that it will be tweaked for the final release.

Players will be happy to know that Pazaak returns to the TJM game which allows players to take a break from questing and see if they can beat the house.

During your 14 plus hours in TJM you will find yourself wishing there were more creatures to fight and a larger challenge. The creatures you encounter at times seem too weak where a player will find themselves killing them with one hit, which leads to a feeling that your choice in armor and leveling decisions don’t really matter. You will find no shortage of loot in the game which is great since you can sell them to merchant and buy armor, grenades, weapons and other helpful items.

The game does a decent job in keeping the Player’s character from feeling like a second fiddle when Revan comes into the picture. This was an issue in 1.0, and it was nice to see it being resolved in version 2.0.

TJM has multiple endings, including the one where you can actually lose, which was refreshing. The endings come down to some key choices during a well done reveal that will make you question what action to do. Knowing there is a “You Lose” ending based on choice helps add to the tension in these moments during the final battle.

Gameplay

TJM does a good job in capturing the combat in kotor1/2 but with it being fairly easy to kill enemies you can feel like you’re just mashing the same button with little worry about using key Force powers. This is shame since the game does give Revan the wookiee rage ability, and I found myself picking force powers which I normally don’t in kotor2 since the TJM’s leveling is much slower. Hopefully, the enemy’s numbers will be increased as well as the difficulty to allow more tactics to be used in combat and allow us to feel that we can lose a fight if you are not managing your resources.

You will find yourself making choices during quests, but I can’t really remember any of my companions chiming in or disagreeing with me, which makes it hard to know am I gaining or losing influence with my companions.

TJM does break up the game play at key points to allow the player to take control of a certain party member as they are performing a separate task while your main character is doing something else. This method is done very well in the game.

Presentation

TJM 2.0 has improved over 1.0 in the texture department, but you will still find some planets to have very distracting environment textures that can pull you out of the game at times. Hopefully, the textures which are transparent can become solid and some can be toned down a bit.

TJM brings in many new locations and situations to help keep the game fresh. Trex does a good job of balancing the number of modules to keep the game large but manageable, but you will find sections where it just seems vacant due to the number of interactive NPCs in the game.

Music in the game as well as the cut scene/bink movies have greatly improved from 1.0. Looking at the TJM 2.0 bink movie files in an outside viewer, you will see some good quality but when viewed in game, there is a loss in resolution. I know this is something that is being looked into so the quality might increase for the final release.

The Voice acting is a hit or miss; you have some great performances like Kannos and Kreia, but then you have robotic computer created VO for human characters. I know that getting VO can be hard, but the robotic ones can at times pull you out of the moment. Hopefully, between now and final release, maybe a few more human voice actors can come in and do some lines.

The overall arcing story is well done, but some might find issue with how some of the established kotor1/2 characters behave. One example that got me to wonder was Canderous's son who looked to be 17-20 years of age. This would make Canderous a father back around or before kotor1. This might have been explained, but I just didn't get enough conversations with Canderous or his son to learn the details.

Final Verdict

TJM is an epic game that aims to do something that in many ways is just impossible to match the level of kotor1/2. The scope of the project is huge and Trex put a lot of work and love into the project over the past few years, and it shows. This game will not satisfy everyone, but if you give it a chance, you will find an enjoyable journey through Trex’s vision of kotor3. Just make sure you have some different save files since it’s still in Beta and currently has some bugs and glitches. If you look past the bugs and some of the flaws, you will find a great adventure that will give you a reason to visit some of your favorite kotor1/2 characters and meet a few new interesting ones. So grab your lightsaber and take on the Syyth in a major showdown to save the Republic from certain doom.

+ 14 plus Hours of game play

+ Choose your Apprentice

+ Multiple Endings

+ Party Splits up for Tasks- Player controls all Teams

+ New Modules

- Textures can be distracting and some are transparent

- Low Diversity of enemies

- Lots of back tracking

- / + Enemies are easy to kill and game is not very challenging

(- / +) = This means some players might find this a plus while others would see it as a minus

Logan23

And by the way Kannos has a personal quest!? What personal quest? The walkthrough spoke of it.

It's just a mini one.

I think you need to talk to him about whether or not he has any friends. Pick the right options and he should start talking about someone called Nizzal.

On another note, did anyone try the romance options? I wasn't able to fully try every one of them.

Did the little date scenario crash or was it fine? I had some problems where the person you dated wasn't wearing the correct outfit at times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm about 7 hours into the game and it's fantastic!

Kannos' voice actor? Oh my, I might just be in love :'D I NEED to know who voices him, that person is ridiculously good.

One thing that bugs me is that there are quite a lot of grammatical errors, particularly the misuse of "it's" (=> "it is"). In most cases it should simply be "its", as in "its power", "its words", etc.

Otherwise, great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder, reviews are fine, but what I really need to help the final release are bug lists.

Big ones or little ones, go ahead and PM me or add to this thread every problem you found. That includes typos, something not spawning correctly, something facing the wrong way etc.

The more things I get told about, the better the final release will be.

I'll probably post a review at some point, but for now it will suffice to say I definitely enjoyed this. Some bugs I can recall ( spoilers in the list below):

-A minor one, on Etti IV, a couple of the colonists have the wrong lines (a man has the woman colonists line, and vice versa). Iirc they are the first two colonists you encounter in the retextured telos entertainment module

-The whole of the planet where you find Revan. My force meter kept fluctuating, and I could run through the walls. My PC crashed at this point, and I couldn't reload the save I made on the planet, either, so I had to go back to an earlier point.

-Vima Sunrider did not appear on aid station, but I was able to complete the quest by searching the room and talking to Rimi, at which point she showed up

-Revan appeared in the senate as though he wasn't already in my party, even though I had with me in my party, thus there were two Revans

-Quite a few convos feature the wrong character speaking a line of dialogue.

-I'm not sure if stuff like clipping is something you wish to address, but most discussions with Tholn have this

-Again, I am sure you are aware of the issues with lip syncing, but this is quite a common problem. On that note, the exile does not open her mouth for many of her lines

-Towards the end of the game, I had to reload a save as I could not enter the senate as the exile the first time I tried this

-I'm not certain this is a bug, but I wasn't sure what exactly happened in the "sacrifice self" ending. I ended up killing Kannos as Revan, but got an ending where he (Revan) survived.

So my problem is like this...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I'm at the aid station, and I can't find Vima anywhere. I got all the stuff from her room. (Checked her storage container, got Rimi lightsaber and toy, got everything.) I don't even know where this "command center" is.

The thing is that I had already recruited Vimack/Rimi as my apprentice before even getting to the aid station. I've tried talking to her about her past, but it's just the same old dialogue with no new options.

Do I have to restart the game, or is there another option I'm missing.

• 1 month later...

Archived