Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

You'd think they'd try ensure a high end PSU like that can deliver the goods on the amperage side....!!

*mental note: avoid Ultra X3*

@Bloodwarp: congrats on the 10WU!! Next milestone to aim for is 50, and you'll even get a LFN Folders badge for that ;) Good luck!

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be slowing down the folding a bit. I haven't been getting the bigger WU's for a week or two, and at the same time they disappear, the average temp. of my GPU has risen again, with some unfortunate accidents as a result. Coincidence or not, I think I have a case. :)

lolz... welcome back Taak!! Never seen so many identity changes in so short a space. Ive only just gotten used to Char Ell changing his name :p

@Miltiades... hope you can sort that out without too much hassle. High GPU temps are never fun :( I must admit though, even though it always folds at 82C+ my evga had never skipped a beat.

mtfbwya

I'll be slowing down the folding a bit. I haven't been getting the bigger WU's for a week or two, and at the same time they disappear, the average temp. of my GPU has risen again, with some unfortunate accidents as a result. Coincidence or not, I think I have a case. :)
I'll be cutting back myself though in my particular case the summer high temps have started to kick in. Summer is peak season for electricity where I live and the electric utilities 'round here start charging more. Don't want the rig to contribute to heating the house when I've got to run the air conditioner to cool it.

I've been getting the smaller WU's for the most part as well though I still get an occasional 1,888 pointer. My problem seems to be the inverse of yours as my graphics card still seems to EUE on those fairly often but doesn't seem to have a problem with the smaller point value WU's.

Char Ell got a name change??

If my frail old memory serves correctly, yes he did...it was a while ago ;) He can fill us in I guess.
lol Yeah, it will be two years ago in June. :)

tk102 = team member holding the highest points/WU crown. :king1: Congrats tk!

With respect to my sordid history concerning screen names, all I will say is that any interested LF member can view my screen name history. And I don't mean you have to review the name change threads. All four names I've used are listed in one place. I don't think it's that hard to find but I'm not telling here. ;)

lolz... Char, you enjoy being a man of mystery?? :p

2005-FEB-12 - joined LF as Guardian Archon (too elitist); 2005-JUL-18 - changed name to Hai Wan (too much like Obi-Wan); 2006-MAR-29 - changed name to cutmeister (not StarWarsy enough); 2007-JUN-07 - changed name to Char Ell

To me the name Char Ell always reminds me of Superman's Dad Jor-El ;)

mtfbwya

Nah, just a tad bit embarrassed that it took me 2+ years to finally settle on a name when I should have gone with Char Ell to begin with. :blush2:

Oh, and though I have no problem with the association, any similarity to Jor-El is purely coincidental. :D

Saw this today on the f@h blog. A developer by the name of Imran Haque has developed a memory test utility for CUDA-enabled graphics cards. This diagnostic program can be downloaded from http://https://simtk.org/home/memtest/.

MemtestG80 is a software-based tester to test for "soft errors" in GPU memory or logic for NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPUs. It uses a variety of proven test patterns (some custom and some based on Memtest86) to verify the correct operation of GPU memory and logic. It is a useful tool to ensure that given GPUs do not produce "silent errors" which may corrupt the results of a computation without triggering an overt error.
I'm gonna have to try this out and see how my 9800 GTX+ fares.

F@H just made this CUDA-enabled graphics memory testing utility available for download at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils

I just dl'ed it since the link I originally provided required registration to download and I didn't want to bother with registering on yet another website.

My MSI 9800 GTX+ didn't perform so well. I ran 100 passes on 256 MB of my card's 512 MB RAM and got 32 errors. :( No wonder my rig has had problems with the large WU's. I guess I need to figure out how to undo the factory overclock and try it again at reference settings.

Also, FYI if you download it from the F@H website I linked to the utility also has a function that sends your test results back to the F@H folks at Stanford. They believe getting people to send in their test results will help them with their efforts to improve GPU-based computing for the F@H project.

Interesting stuff Charr ;)

Might give it a go. I had a flutter with the EVGA OC utility, and found it wasnt as consitently stable as i would have hoped..

might give it a go with this app but on default clocks.. see what happens

mtfbwya

Thats normal Taak - for a few of us, forecasted temperature also has a bearing on the amount we fold. At current levels, we are overall maintaining our place in the 700teens. Ive been intermittent myself recently due to very hectic Windows7 testing

congrats to Char and chainz for their imminent breach of 1800 and 1900WUs respectively!

We should be very proud of the great majority of our team folding on through thick and thin, and as much as their schedules and machines let them

With the advent of badges, I was a bit afraid that we'd get a slew of badge-seekers that start and stop in their 50s, which is perhaps missing the mark in understanding the concept of being in a team and respecting what the folding project is about. ie. you shouldnt be joining in just for the badge.

But, we all do what we can, and every WU helps the project at the day ;)

mtfbwya

Thanks Astro!

FYI the F@H team made some changes to the assignment servers for GPU folding clients and encountered a few problems. I check http://folding.typepad.com/ for updates. I think it was about 36 hours ago when my client wasn't able to download any new WU's or upload its completed WU. Everything appears to be back to normal for me now. No problems with last night's folding run.

My client wouldn't download a new WU for an hour yesterday, though it came through after that.

With finals starting, I don't have any use for my PC but to look up things on the Internet and read my documents and Powerpoints and such, so I can safely let it run folding for a bit. Temperature in the real world is rising, though, so I'll have to keep eye on it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A super congrats to Char, who has now clocked up the most points for team LFN, even surpassing chainz amazing GTX 280 ;)

It is a bit chilly in my area now (well 6degC is freezing for my mediterranean skin) - with our heating broken atm, when I close the door in my study and leave the 8800GTS folding all day at 88C, it actually does take the chill out of the room :D

Great work to everyone keeping up the fold through sleet and snow (and heat and swelter!)

Astro(folding+heating@home) :p

At least there are some occasions when the heat output of a fully utilized 8800GTS serves an additional beneficial purpose to protein folding. ;)

Alas, I fear that ChAiNz's GTX 280 is still out of commission. Other than the few WU's he cranked out on it back when he first returned to us after his motorcycle accident it seems that he is either running folding on his PS3 or his CPU now. I've PM'ed him to see how his PSU issues were faring but as yet haven't received a response. I hope his rehab is going well.

Sorry. Haven't been paying much attention to who is getting banned.

For those running the GPU client the F@H servers were having some problems last night. According to the official F@H blog one of the three GPU work servers crashed hard. I noticed I had one of the big 1,888-point WU's completed but it wouldn't upload yesterday. I just started my GPU client for tonight's folding run and the completed WU successfully uploaded so hopefully that means things are back to normal operation. At least my rig seems to be doing better with those WU's now that I'm using stock clock speeds on my graphics card.

Also, for anybody that uses Twitter, Professor Pande has decided to start a Twitter account to provide more updates about the nitty gritties of the Folding@Home project.

http://twitter.com/vijaypande

Archived