Home

The SECRET of Monkey Island REVEALED (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

elTee

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by remio

You can look at the full map of Dinky in MI2, and it doesn't look anything like Monkey. Unless the whole connection is spiritual, I can't see how it could be the same island.

There's no evidence that the map is even accurate. It's never even used in the end, and you never see an actual overhead view of the island.

Think... Dinky, monkey. People kept calling Dinky island different things, like Inky, etc.

Herman was on Monkey Island, then on Dinky Island... he never really left Monkey Island.

Originally posted by Huz

Except for the fact that Wally recognises the island it represents, man.

(Oh I promised myself I wouldn't get involved...) ;)

He's a cartographer... He probably recognises another map that he saw, that was based off that one or vise-versa.

Uhm... DId any o' you notice Chuckie's evil face? Everybody on thi forum says that Guybrush is really a kid. Well, I have to say that they are thinking too much. The grog machine was a joke from MI1, when Guybrush slammed into it and the root beer came out. Elaine says that LeChuck put a horrible curse on Guybrush. I think that The steamin' weenie thing in the cursed big whoop was a reference to Rapp Scallion's shack, which means it was before Scallion was killed by LeChuck. The whole map pieces thing was the crew. Lindy, H.T Marley, Rapp, and Rum Rogers. All who LeChuck killed. I think it was symbolic of LeChuck about to kill another pirate.

Ya still with me?

"Great hat, man. I dig the three-corner idea. It's so piratey, you know. You ever seen the movie 'The Secret of Monkey Island'? Wendell Finkwinkle is awesome as the Guybrush dude." - Hoagie from DOTT

Originally posted by Flirbnic

He's a cartographer... He probably recognises another map that he saw, that was based off that one or vise-versa.

Heh... He's a cartographer... Recognizing maps is his job. I'm sure he knows what Dinky Island and/or Monkey Island looks like. Besides, why would Monkey Island have a map saying "Welcome To Dinky Island"?

I'm not necissarely saying you're wrong, but I don't see any evidence of it being Monkey Island.

Originally posted by remio

Heh... He's a cartographer... Recognizing maps is his job. I'm sure he knows what Dinky Island and/or Monkey Island looks like.

Plus (and no guarantees of accuracy here ;)), doesn't Wally say the island is "near here" or something? Why else do they prepare to embark on a journey to the island as soon as the map is assembled?

Not that it's especially important. The whole "Dinky IS Monkey" thing doesn't come into it until CMI. :)

Yeah, dammit, where IS Ron? I know he's out there... TELL US IF THERE EVEN WAS A SECRET!!!!

Ok, I think the whole 'Pirates of the Carribean' ride is the missing link here. Who's been on it? Cos I have (and I have the Mickey Mouse pirate boxer shorts to prove it) and its not that similar to Monkey Island really. Ok, there is that scene with the dog and the keys from MI2, thats there. But the rest is a bunch of pirates burning a town and putting this fat guy down a well. There are, obviously, loadsa things you could compare to Monkey Island from that ride, but on the whole, the pirates on it are a lot nastier than the ones in Rons world. This brings me to that same interview we started on: Ron says something like: 'The real pirates were the terrorists of the 17th Century'. It seems that Monkey Island is a very very toned down version of the ride. How do you tone something down? Add humor. Stick in a vending machine so that people will know it aint serious.

On the other hand: another theory is that Guybrush is Ron. Not literally, but look at it like this: Ron sees a ride, loves it, wants to go for a walk around in it. Guybrush is walking around a pirate town with no background and all he knows is that he wants to be a pirate. Well, imagine you were on the ride, thought 'I wish I was here' and then it happened. You wouldn't know what to do would you? It'd be like 'Ok... I guess I'm gonna be a pirate. What else is there to do?'

Another thing: Guybrush is, in a way, like a kid throughout. I mean, only kids can talk to complete strangers like the characters in adventure games, can't they? And about having to take a test to get to be a pirate - whenever a kid asks why he has to go to school his parents say 'so you can do what you want to do when you grow up'. If you wanna be a pirate, you'd think (at a young age) that you'd need to go to school, kinda thing - ie. take the tests.

That ride, its been there a while - since the 50's I think. I know its one of the oldest rides Disney have, but they still haven't changed it. Its very possible that Ron Gilbert went on the Pirates of the Carribean when he was a kid...

Yeah, dammit, where IS Ron? I know he's out there... TELL US IF THERE EVEN WAS A SECRET!!!!

Yes, there IS a secret... I'm pretty sure he said so.

Ok, I think the whole 'Pirates of the Carribean' ride is the missing link here. Who's been on it?

I went on it a looong time ago... and I was afraid of it I think. It gave me nightmares. It wasn't as scary as the haunted house thing though!

On the other hand: another theory is that Guybrush is Ron.

I used to have a theory that Guybrush was a game designer going through a pirate-themed ride, becoming inspired to make a game about pirates....

I think I can relate to the whole young-boy's-fantasy theory a lot, because when I played Monkey Island 2 many many years ago, I became so immersed in the game that I was always lost in this Monkey Island fantasy (probably because I'm slightly autistic... Asperger syndrome). I was quite obsessed. I'm still obsessed.

Originally posted by Flirbnic

There's no evidence that the map is even accurate. It's never even used in the end, and you never see an actual overhead view of the island.

Think... Dinky, monkey. People kept calling Dinky island different things, like Inky, etc.

Herman was on Monkey Island, then on Dinky Island... he never really left Monkey Island.

Monkey and dinky are close together but an underground tunnel run from monkey island to under dinky island, it's that simple!

and if you remember herman has a boat he just doesn't use it to go home!

We are all a little obsessed...

HEY! If anyone knows about Red Dwarf, then they have this thing where they rent out a hotel for a weekend and the cast and crew stay there, and you can stay too, and they just all have a laugh together - parties n stuff. The Mixnmojo should do that!

I haven't thought this through... Nah, bad idea.

hmm well if we're going with the fantasy theory that a lot of people have written about and of which i earlier put all the bits together, then i think we can accept that all of the islands are of course merely 'decors'. And all close together, though as if its in the middle of the Caribbean...I mean I wouldn't know how to explain the elevator upto Melee otherwise..

hmmm

i just made this comparison page (i heard trapezoid made a page like this once too? credit go to him for being the first :p)

http://www.queztone.com/bigwhoop.html

ok now I just got more proof that guybrush was pulled OUT of his dream and he is NOT still in some pirate world! You see the ending screen? Where there is WATER/SEA in the Booty screen there is LAND in the Ending screen! This means its just an amusement park!

Some people may say; yeah but his parents are still walking in old styled clothing; that could be explained because its an OLD amusement park...not a very new one..

Okay so earlier i spoke of the E-Ticket being bigwhoop; the ultimate treasure because he can be in the park for longer. Now he goes to a park with his parents and chuckie, a park named Big Whoop. Logical his imagination names the E-Ticket the Treasure OF Big Whoop! (there's always spoken of the Treasure OF Big Whoop)

Thanks everyone, i think we put all puzzles together now..

I'll be creating a page for this all soon, stay tuned :)

yes i did, but never noticed the difference of SEA/LAND

plus my theory had a hole, people said, if the E-Ticket (what was in the treasure chest) is Big Whoop (the all mighty treasure among all pirates) then why is the theme park named Big Whoop? I now came to the conclusion the real name of the themepark is Big Whoop. There's always spoken of the treasure OF Big Whoop. So that's the E-Ticket..

working on a site that explains all..

This gives me an idea for some interesting fanfiction. Both Monkey Island 1 and 2, written from the perspective of reality... It would start with Guybrush and his family going to this pirate-themed amusement park. It would describe all of the things happening as being things in the park, and also describe Guybrush's descent into a fantasy that somehow becomes more and more real.

QueZtone - nice site. Can't say that I entirely agree, but for the most part that was what I was trying to get at. There is of course only one problem. LeChuck at the end of MI2, and also the music (incidently, whilst on holiday in Florida I went on the Popeye and Bluto 'Bilge Rat Barges' ride at Islands of Adventure - the theme music to the ride was identical to the theme in Rum Rogers hut...) - the music is kinda stereotypical carnival music, but it sounds kinda creepy too.

However, the picture comparison was helpful. You'll notice that Stans is still there, but to the side of the picture. That means that we have shifted our view towards the left, where previously we could not see. This is where the door is that leads to the room where Guybrush and LeChuck are. Another thing - the entrance to Big Whoop is in the same place where Dreads boat is. This means that it is still the same place Guybrush would have to use to enter/exit the park/booty island.

Now I think of it, the names sound kinda theme-parky too - booty, plunder, melee - type of thing you'd find in a typical disney style themepark.

Not wanting to take this too far, but as you may have noticed, Dreads boat goes to other islands as well. If this is really the entrance, how can this be? Well, in Disney's magic kingdom theme park (the one with the Pirates of the Carribean ride in it) there is a steam train that travels to all the themed zones (ie. islands). Its first station? Right above the entrance to the park.

Real carnival music IS creepy.

QueZTone, you forgot to mention that the Voodoo lady told Guybrush that he needed to find Big Whoop to defeat LeChuck. I think that's important... I wonder if the Voodoo lady is entirely a product of Guybrush's imagination.

I think I have a reason for why the grog machine ended up in Guybrush's fantasy. He's a child... he wants a sweet soft drink! It's one of his desires.

Archived