Home

The SECRET of Monkey Island REVEALED (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

elTee

Ha ha! I have figured out the answer to your riddle.

All these too-in-depth MI fans talk about this to death, so listen up:

THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND WAS REVEALED AT THE END OF MONKEY ISLAND 2: LECHUCKS REVENGE. How do I know? Well:

1. When Ron Gilbert wrote the first game, he could not have predicted how popular it would be. Therefore, he would not have concoted a huge story which would span over a decade and last 5 games, only to reveal this secret at the end. (I know there are only 4, but there will be 5 in total.) For all he knew, Monkey island could have been a huge flop, and a sequel wouldn't have been commisioned.

2. Ron Gilbert said after the first game was released that the vending machines and the other 'modern day' items in the series had a 'deeper relevance' which would be 'revealed in the sequel'. At the end of MI2, Guybrush is a little kid at the Carnival of the Damned. This would mean that the significance is that he has been a kid the whole time, and thus vending machines would not have been out of place (assuming he is from the modern era. A kid in the 17th century WOULD have found vending machines wierd.)

3. Ron Gilbert did not make CMI or EMI. These have been made to extend a popular franchise beyond its sell-by-date, as has been done with Nightmare on Elm Street, and hundreds of other films. What I mean is, there may well be a secret that will be revealed in MI5, but it was thought up at the very earliest in 1995 (conception of CMI.) At this time, MI2 had been out for 3 years, and Rons secret (ie, the real one, as he created the series) must have already been revealed.

Sorry kids. MI5 will be released saying that it will finally answer the secret of Monkey Island, but it will be the fake secret. The secret that LucasArts created almost 10 years ago, when they realised that no-one had figured out that the secret had already been revealed. Because, the real secret is that LeChuck is guybrush's brother, and they were at the carnival the whole time. Don't believe me? Then tell me, how did Guybrush escape from the carnival? LucasArts didn't tell us how, did they? Ron tried to stop them from making MI3 by ending MI2 with that impossible to solve problem, so they got around it by just pretending the whole thing didn't happen.

Thank you, I'm here till Thursday.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, Ron Gilbert also said that MI always was meant to be a triology, so he actually didn't try to "to stop them from making MI3 by ending MI2". Still, one can always speculate, and if MI5 will give away the secret, the odds are that it isn't what Ron had in mind.

I've pretty much always thought that the secret was that Guybrush and Chuckie just became lost in their imaginations upon entering some sort of cursed pirate-themed carnival.

As for the non-Ron 'secret', wasn't it revealed in EMI? And it was, of course, a really stupid joke that didn't make any sense because it contradicted the other games.

ok, i'm really scared to answer this incase i accidently reveal how much of a fool i am - but hey, it's not as if i'll be surprising anyone

did anyone else notice that at the end of MI2 the carnival is a parody of the port at booty island? if everyone noticed this, i never said it and you're imagining this post - otherwise maybe thats something to do with the secret?

I believe at least most people noticed that, and I also think it's somehow related to the secret. Seeing that all the random modern items are most likely meant as hints of what the secret is, the carnival at the end is probably directly linked to that.

I realized that... but that might only be because the creator's were too lazy to remake the entire thing. Besides... I don't have a clue how it would relate to Booty Island... Is the Weenie stand supposed to be related to a costume shop? I don't think it is related, but that's only my opinion.

Originally posted by Schmatz

I realized that... but that might only be because the creator's were too lazy to remake the entire thing. Besides... I don't have a clue how it would relate to Booty Island... Is the Weenie stand supposed to be related to a costume shop? I don't think it is related, but that's only my opinion.

Nah, the whole scene was actually recreated from scratch. It wasn't just a re-edited Booty Island. I believe Trap did some overlays of it a while back that showed it.

I've said this numerous times:

Ron had two Secrets: one was the "Guybrush is a kid" secret that MI2 apparently ends on... Another is some mystery Secret that was never revealed. He wasn't sure if there would be any MIs after MI2, so the game was ended in such a way that if it was the last game, then Guybrush was a kid, but it was still open to a sequel and a different Secret. (Elaine's appearence in the credits.)

Oh, Meksilon and Schmatz, and don't flame EMI for Jolly Roger. Chances are he'll like EMI. Sorry if you don't like it, but most people do. So don't try to convert everyone to your minority. ;)

Originally posted by Trapezoid

Oh, Meksilon and Schmatz, and don't flame EMI for Jolly Roger. Chances are he'll <I>like</i> EMI. Sorry if you don't like it, but most people do. So don't try to convert everyone to your minority. ;)

Since mr hacher is going to hasche-out any attempt at saying anything even remotly mean I'll just say: Jolly Rodger will love Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge if he liked the original game - NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

But I KNOW you couldn't say the same for Escape From Monkey Island.

=mek=

Originally posted by Meksilon

Since mr hacher is going to hasche-out any attempt at saying anything even remotly mean I'll just say: Jolly Rodger will love Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge if he liked the original game - NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

But I KNOW you couldn't say the same for Escape From Monkey Island.

=mek=

Most of us played MI2 years ago. It holds a special place in most of our hearts. Most of us love CMI too (except you, Meksilon) despite the apparent slew of disappointment when it was released and in the spotlight. EMI bashing has died down too now that the game's over a year old. Whiners make themselves heard until they're bored.

MI2 is a classic, it's an old fashioned stable adventure that's easy to love. Chances of liking it are higher than EMI's for that reason... But EMI is still for the most part enjoyed by the less cynical among us.

Most of us played MI2 years ago. It holds a special place in most of our hearts. Most of us love CMI too (except you, Meksilon) despite the apparent slew of disappointment when it was released and in the spotlight. EMI bashing has died down too now that the game's over a year old. Whiners make themselves heard until they're bored.

MI2 is a classic, it's an old fashioned stable adventure that's easy to love. Chances of liking it are higher than EMI's for that reason... But EMI is still for the most part enjoyed by the less cynical among us.

I guess it depends on your point of view. From my end, everyone I know personally or through the net who made initial claims still maintain that they didn't like EMI... myself included.

Whiners? Well it seems to me neither CMI or EMI deserve a fan-site - my personal oppinion. Get it?

=mek=

Archived