Home

1st vs 3rd person w/saber

cyberius

Originally posted by SS_Sniper

no 1st person saber in mp it would be useless.

Having just barely started playing the game, I don't think I understand. What is the advantage of 3rd person using a lightsaber?

Also, do you use 1st or 3rd in SP?

Thanks!

Well, I have this idea that 1st person is the best view for aiming precise shots and targeting things, hence the usage for guns.

3rd person is best for navigating and getting the best feel of your relation to other people/things/stuff/pits etc. You can see your own feet and therefore blablabla....

One might be tricked to believe that since you need precision in saber combat, 1st person would be best..... But this isn't the case.

Using 1st person while slashing the saber, you don't see the entire swing, don't get a feel of it's lenght and only see a flashing light appearing briefly across the screen. Not utterly useless, but damn close.

BTW, you can use both 1st and 3rd person for every weapon in the game, including the saber. Check your options.

Originally posted by cyberius

Is it possible to fight in MP w/ lightsaber in 1st person?

I find it irritating that I can't, and I am hoping there is a patch available for it.

Thanks!

This is one way of getting very close to 1st person perspective:

1. Start a map with the console command "devmap mapname". (cheats on)

2. In the console, enter the command "cg_thirdpersonrange 0" or some other low value.

3. If nessecary, also set "cg_thirdpersonvertoffset" to a lower value. (this will lower the camera)

Originally posted by cyberius

Having just barely started playing the game, I don't think I understand. What is the advantage of 3rd person using a lightsaber?

Also, do you use 1st or 3rd in SP?

Thanks!

I use Third person for guns and saber in MP, and both in SP.

O personally can't stand 1st person on maps like NS_streets, where I fall off every five seconds becasue i can't see my feat..

Use third person. Get use to it. Trust me, it'll become easier. In 3rd person, you can do other moves too, like rolling, wall walking, kicking, and baclflips. Plus it will be easer to so in 3rd person.

I knew saber combat in 3rd person was going to be very important in this game. I weened myself on mission 1 of SP to play in 3rd person. It was very hard to get used to, but after a few missions, it's not that hard to get your aiming down.

I don't know why you would want to play the saber in 1st person anyway -- you wouldn't be able to see anything around you, nor view the awesome movements of your character.

What about the frustration of dealing with force powers in 1st person? If someone grips you you can hardly see them if they decide to hold you over their head. You can't do ANY special moves, rolls, or special jumps/kicks.

And I also remember the faithful moment on artus mines when desann owned me with a push in first person. My view was tilted over and I was struggling to get up but without force you're a sitting duck when knocked over.

I also use 3rd person for gunning, since you can see more of the map around you than a restricted 1st view.

Just a few points to clear things up:

- You CAN use 1st person POV for saber since the 1.03 patch.

- You CAN'T obtain it from control options, you have to configure it from console.

- In SP you can't do rolls, flips and special moves from 1st person POV for saber. In MP you CAN.

- There are NO RESTRICTIONS in using it, it ISN'T confusing and it is indeed VERY enjoyable to play from that perspective after a little.

- When someone grips you your charachter instantly turns to the gripper so that you can push him to escape

- The cvar to set from console is cg_fpls (fpls stands for First Person Light Saber, I think); you can bind a key to toggle it with this command:

bind f2 cg_fpls !

(That binds F2, the "!" means "set to 0 when it is 1 and set to 1 when it is 0")

1st person POV for saber is not bad at all. It's only a matter of preference! I myself desired it for long and when I finally discovered it I started to play ALWAYS from that perspective... :)

• 8 months later...

Check out the Masters of the Force beta. You can do everything in 1st person, but it makes you want to hurl.

I taught myself to shoot in 3rd person for SP. It took more practice, because the reticle sometimes is misleading, but if you watch the color indicator it actually works. The biggest disadvantage in using first person, saber or not, is that force powers are harder to use. I like to roll and push at the same time, so I need to play in 3rd person. Also, if you don't know where your saber is, you CAN'T win matches. This is a major drwback with the MOTF system; you can only see where the model is looking, not where your opponent is. In MP, first person is practically useless, except when making long range shots with, say, the pistol.

Nemios is right. And if you want to be able to switch to 3rd person view while using the weapons other than the saber the command for that is:

bind x cg_thirdperson !

It's just nice to have every possible viewing option for those that choose to use them.

Just a question for you Toppdog, can't we do that already (without need of the console)?

In the setup menu you can enable 3rd person guns already (I'm talking MP here, but SP as well), and switch on the fly with a key. It's only the saber that is forced into one viewing mode or the other (binding a key to the cg_fpls 1 command would fix that). Or am I missing something?

Actually you're wrong there crow_nest.

I have NOT tested the backstab yet, but the wall walk for example, works perfectly in 1st person MP.

Your view doesn't get all screwed up, but you're definately doing it, note the characteristic sound effects and the motion. If you switch out of it quick enough you should catch the tail end of the animation as well.

You may be right Kurgan. I was looking at my MP cfg file for that one. I thought I manually wrote that one in a long time ago, but it could have been generated by the game menu. I can't remember if that wasn't an in game option before 1.03.

I think the main difference between 1st/3rd is that while in 3rd person you can see your model do the back/side flips & turn around during back attacks etc. while the camera stays in a fixed position behind the model. The camera does not also do back/side flips or spin around with the model during backattacks etc. but instead stays in that fixed position behind it as if those moves weren't being done.

In 1st person it keeps that same fixed non-spinning/flipping position as your model does those things, but because the camera is zoomed in & the model turned off to your view, you now can't see anything that you are doing even though you are still doing them.

I don't know if it's the same for SP, but for MP I think the only difference is the camera position & having your model turned off so you can't see it but others still can.

Yeah, well hey, I admitted I was wrong about the SP "dodging" effect in the other thread, so I hope you didn't think I was being mean or anything by asking!

Yeah, that one mod (sorry I forget the name of it) that came out recently that featured a first person lightsaber (in that one, they just zoomed the third person camera in more, on ALL the weapons), they made the camera view spin around and stuff whenever you did a move, and it really made me sick, I had to turn it off after only a few seconds of trying it out. ; p

The thirdperson view SHOWS you doing the move, making it easy to know you're pulling it off, but it should be the same in First Person, the camera just doesn't get all "Blair Witch Project" on you. ; )

Okay, I messed around with it last night to make sure, & alot of you guys were right.

In SP (1.03 at least) 1st & 3rd seems to be an option with all weapons without any special console commands, but you can't do certain moves like backstab or flips, etc. while in 1st.

In MP you can do these moves & you can actually see that you're doing them because the arms & saber are pretty clear. I could see the arms & saber twirl during sideflips, etc. & I could see the animation for the backstabs, etc. too.

It was neat to see the saber model up close like that, but for dueling I still like 3rd best, & I actually even like the camera back further than the default settings. I use cg_fov 100 (max amt) @ 1024 x 768 resolution. This gives you a pretty good view of what's happening to the sides & behind you.

Archived