Home

Welcome... again

Remi

How does Scumm Bar switching to mojo forums cause any problems? People consider themselves part of the LucasArts Fan Community, then this move is for the best. One community. One voice.

Server downtimes will happen. Unless you have access to a T1 or better connection and a server to donate for free, shut face or write Mojo a nice, fat, 6-digit check so you don't lose any surf time.

Originally posted by raVen_image

Typically, when I feel the kind of emotion that you've displayed, I simply quit my job, rather than resort to illiteracy.

Hmm, you know, it really sounds crazy, but I was saying that as a mere hypothetical situation based upon your behavior. I don't really know your personal stance on profanity; however, I have had my share of people inform me that they have told their bosses what I used as an example. However, usually after they quit, or were fired, but if not, I assure you they lost their job shortly there after.

Now seriously, since when is using profanity in what essentially would be in substitution of a hypothetical quote used in a non-active sentence, illiteracy?

My opinions do not reach this level of childishness, though. I simply state my mind ... with thoughtful eloquence and dignity. You might consider trying this approach.

Gee, that sure is funny; you still seem to carry a great attitude that I initially detected when you posted in this thread. And the fact that this seems to carry on without any validation of any points that anyone has presented, only shows your lack of empathy, or basic understanding, or perhaps you choose to ignore these points, and rather do as you have done, and focus upon other points in people's replies, there by validating you self just that much more. Or do I have you all wrong? (You really shouldn't reply to that. It is simply just me exposing my 'childish' self.)

At this point, I am sure you find all of this quite immature, and so, in such a manner, I see no reason to think that you would find me using a quote of such language any different. But at this point, I care not.

I say, put up, or shut up.

Give some cash to the people that make this all possible, start your own network, or just stop complaining about something that is provided completely free, I mean, even the ads are tiny and just at the top, which is way better than most.

You can go ahead and insult my intelligence by the manner in which I reply to you, and you can carry on your narcissistic dreams all you want. As for me, I will reply to this thread no more.

Swearing, when properly used, is not a sign of illiteracy. Calling a boss a '****ing asshole' is an intensifier followed by the proper use of the slang term 'asshole' and is therefore perfectly acceptable, since it may well be the strongest words to convey the argument. Remember, we only consider them not okay to say due to their 'power' as words.

On the other hand, talking like a Kevin Smith movie is illiterate as they abuse the words to the point they lose their impact, and as a result, become illiterate. So in other words, if he walked in on his boss and said 'You ****ing sack of ****! I've worked for this ****ing company so long and I'm still only making 7 ****ing dollars a ****ing hour. You ****ing asshole, **** you.', he would be illiterate.

May I add, that using the American constitution in your argument is a very foolish, narrow minded thing to do. This forum is international, as I am sure you know, not to mention the fact that the founder of 'The International House of Mojo' was not of American origin nor was he an American citizen.

Originally posted by scabb

May I add, that using the American constitution in your argument is a very foolish...

You may say this and quite rightfully so. Please, all, remember this line:

In the end, what have I done but proclaim myself [as] "the fool"?

I said this yesterday and it is no less true today. If I remark myself in this manner, all of your replies are merely fodder to that point.

I know that my words mean very little ('talk is cheap', like I said). But, I will not retract what I said, because it is how I feel. It is not belligerent, nor is it slander. It is truth ... until it is proven false. To date, what I have said cannot be denied.

To the point of "illiteracy" ... see definition b : violating approved patterns of speaking or writing.

To the point of my "owing mojo" ...rubbish! I owe nothing more than I agreed to when I signed on. If mojo needs money, then that should be specified in the terms of the user agreement.

**edit**

Oooops, sorry to edit this in, but I need to address this point too.

Originally posted by mercatfat

Christ. Does forum downtime really impact your life that much?

Yes. The reason is that I moderate that other message board I mentioned before. I have perhaps two hours available in the early mornings to do this task during weekdays. (I am one of those volunteers that was mentioned) When the forum is down due to server overloads, I am not allowed the opportunity to get rid of the profanity and spam that occasionally occurs.

Weekends I have more time, so it isn't a problem.

May I also add that this argument is absolutely stupid.

You don't have to prove what illiteracy means with a dictionary definition, and even so, you called Mr RaptorII illiterate just because he made a few spelling/grammatical errors and used vulgar language. Which is ****ing stupid. It's the internet for christs sake.

Besides, that's not the point. If you want to argue, please stick to the subject, dont stray off it just so that you can flame people and seemingly gain the upper hand.

In the end, nothing will come of this argument. Lucasforums is here. If you want to bitch about it and exaggerate server down time, fine, it's not gonna help at all - In fact, it's increasing the chances of the server overloading.

This petty dispute should be resolved immediatly.

And here I should intercede.

I probably should have realised that I was starting a flame-a-thon, I shall try and maintain my more neutral position in the future.

The last thing anyone wants is another daft argument where people micro-analyse each others posts and start getting into ridiculous arguments about arguments.

We've all had a quiet moan about Lucasforums in the past but its better now and well worth waiting for.

Resolved(hopefully)

I wish you had read my message better. I never said LucasForums sucks. If I felt that were true, you would never see me here. What I said was that I would prefer that the individual message boards be on separate severs. That way, when one goes down, the others would still be available.

First, let me just point out that in typical raVen fashion, he ran away when he realized he was going to lose his own flame war.

Second, in case he does pop back in, that theory is ridiculous. The reason we're only on two or three servers across the whole network is because they cost money. In a perfect world, even Mindbent and Polecats Lounge would get their own server. Sadly, especially with the way banner ads pay these days, that's impossible. Only with a ton of sites gathered together in one place can we raise anywhere near enough money to keep the whole thing afloat. Mojo was never able to stay out of debt by itself, and we used to get kicked from host to host, reamed, ripped-off, and left for dead. Now, (ESPECIALLY) with the visitors LucasForums gets combined with Mojo's network and the Star Wars sites, the entire network can not only stay alive and financially sound, but we can call the shots when someone tries to dick us around and rip us off. (read: it's good)

As it is right now, LucasForums is at least put on its own server most of the time, so when it does at least the websites stay up. We're currently shuffling the sites around a lot because we've again bought better servers with more muscle and less bandwidth restrictions (i think we have a couple servers now that have infinite bandwidth per month, meaning we can transfer as much data on and off of them as we'd like and won't incur some huge excessive bandwidth fine). That is *GOOD* for every site on the network. It means we'll have less cross-server sites (like JKII.net's files site and LucasForums were both able to crash 2 servers before because they had to spread out their data for bandwidth limit saving purposes), and the ability to open files sites like LucasFiles (coming soon) and probably MojoDownloads again.

LFNetwork, LucasForums, and the gang may at a glance seem like some stupid evil idea, but the only reason we made them in the first place was to guarantee everyone in this community a place to actually do what they do and enjoy it.

LucasForums may have some downtime here and then, but it's not going to dissapear. We won't be kicked off a server, we won't run out of funds, our staff won't randomly all decide to quit. Those are all problems of smaller, individually run sites. LucasForums and the LFNetwork will stay around, and be dependable in the long run, even if we go through some growing pains.

Now, please, STFU and enjoy yourself. Jeez.

Broadband service won't help you when the server collapses under the weight of its connections.

But it will help the 10-20 min load times per page (yes it's even worce then it useta be).... And that’s 24/7 for me :( (I though I had complaned about this when Rave was around before, guess not :p)

If I could come here with out the long load times I'd probably have like 700 posts by now.... But no I have 70 something posts, and most of them were from EscapeMI before this whole LucasForum thing… One of the two reasons I left…

Originally posted by Jake

First, let me just point out that in typical raVen fashion, he ran away when he realized he was going to lose his own flame war.

I haven't lost the flame war Jakie ... I haven't been flamed as of yet ... your explaination ( and your little shadow) notwithstanding. And being gone for 24 hours is hardly "running away". It's more like, having other things to do this weekend.

Now, please, STFU and enjoy yourself. Jeez.

I am enjoying myself. Without the need for acronymic profanity, popup ads, and embedded banners. Fortunately, these things are all too superfluous and unnecessary, for me to be concerned about.

One banner? At the bottom of the page? Right. The Mojo forums are pretty banner-light arent they? One. MAYBE 2. No popups.

Mojo itself is a little banner heavy at the moment, which is annoying everyone including us. We're working on that. That's terrible and frustrating, but I'm not going to deny it..

and... "jakie" ? you're fired.

raVen_image, only one thing I'd like to ask from you:

Is that worth it? Does that make you so happy?

"What is the greatest moment of your life, David?"- Various people from Vanilla Sky

Because I see like you don't really. You like arguing and correcting people. you should be the head of a communist state where everything is under your rule and you can order everybody to order what you want. I think you can't accept the world. What I think is that you should get the most out of the world with harming the less of the people. And I think you are taking things too serious. Life is not only a big problem which must be solved. Life is more of a place where you must spend about nearly five million hours. Everyone goal is to pursue happiness. I haven't seen any hapiness in any of your posts. Are you so mean that you are not showing your happy side? When are you carefree? When are you not annoyed?

*EDIT*

*In reply to Junior's wonderfully captured post*

:D Well, actually Gabez is always so laconical when it comes to compose. Why shall we write anything else than our names?

The other things will be in our heart and our minds.

Archived