Home

If you throw a ball in the air...

leXX

To Havoc: I swear to god you are copying my science book, it's EXACTLY like that. (The laws). Yeah I pretty much agree with the two. Going by this point of reference, the Earth, you are not in motion. Throwing the ball up will be up relative to you, as someone said. To the other side of the world, you'd be throwing it down however.

Damn my 8th Grade mind cannot withstand all this.:p

Originally posted by leXX

... which direction is it travelling?

The obvious answer is up of course, but there are some things you must take into account:

The rotation of the earth

The orbit of the earth around the sun

The rotation of the galaxy

The fact that the universe is expanding

so what direction is it travelling in?

slanted to the left

As I said just before, all is relative...

How come on the other side of the world you consider it down?

Up is really relative to the centre of gravity, not to where you are. There is no up nor down without gravity, so I am still throwing it up even though I am in Australia.

According what some of you say, the only real place you would through up is at the North Pole, and the rest is all over the place - not even close to the reality......

which way is the ball going? right at lexx's head for making these brain twister threads then cuting and running:p;)

the answer is: not enough information from the question to define a answer.

"If you throw a ball in the air which direction is it travelling?"

um... from that question, the only answer that makes sence, is "away from yourself"

do I win?

Well don't look at me! I don't know the answer. :D

There are some very interesting theories here, makes for damn fine reading. I have to agree that it is travelling away from and relative to you, and the GonkH8er theory that it is moving away from the Big Bang at an incredibly high speed.

I still don't know WHAT direction it is travelling in though!! ;)

it will come down and bonk u on the head! :lol:

but seriously, heres my explanation:

it is traveling away from you. going up or down is only a direction in relation to an object. if u are in space, you are just there. there may seem like an up and a down, and a left and a right, but really there isn't. in space, there is no ground, there is no bottom, so there cannot be an up or a down without relation to another object. when u throw the ball, it moves away from you. it can be considered up in relation to the planet and the planet's gravity, but in reality, its merely traveling away from you. up and down are just words we give to direction with relation to an object, so that its not confusing. in reality, if you are going to apply up and down to it, it could actually be going sideways, or down. buit since there is gravity, we see it as up.

well, in relation to the center of the universe, anything going away from it could be considered up, and anything taking that direct route bak to it could be considered down. any move not going away from the center, instead goin either parallel or close to it, would be considered going sideways, but its all perspective.

Archived