Home

Will MP3's Replace Compact Discs?

Darth Groovy

Do you think MP3 files will replace compact discs?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think MP3 files will replace compact discs?

• Yes
    • No

Well I had finally found the other 2 Tori Amos CDs I didn't have and then I put all of her CDs onto my hardrive with the other 2,700 some odd mp3s I have on there now. Why did I do this? Simple, my CD player is 12 years old and finally bit the big one this year. I have my computer hooked up to my Sony house system with Bose speakers, and I figured why not? Actually I love it better than my 5 disc carosel because I can pull up whatever I want at anytime, or make my own playlists for whatever occasion. Most of the time I just load the whole bunch and put it on random suffle/repeat, beats the heck out of the radio! Anyways, I got to thinking. With all of the rest of the world catching up and getting PCs now, and all the mp3 players that are available for cars, walkmans, and what have you, why then would the record companies not seek to market mp3s instead? Think about it. You would never have to put up with the dorks(that dress goth and act stupid) that work at the local mall music store or whatever. Maybe you could just purchase one song, or the whole album? Do you think this is possible? and if so, will it happen in the near future?

Edit- I know this is an older discussion, but my curriousity has resurfaced so I apologize in advance for bringing up last week's news.

Of course it will change the market completely. Artist will no longer be able to sneak those dog songs out on an album with about 3 or 4 decent tracks intermixed. Not sure on the price. I think they would find some way to nail us. I rarely buy a new cd unless it just came out and its on sale. I mean at $15-17, come on, are they kidding?:(

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

There's no way they'll sell songs individually... unless they charged a TON for the hit songs. I'm talking like 5X the normal price for a song. :eek:

In the corporate war against mp3s napster, and audiogalaxy, I think they will find some way to do it Rhett.:(

First of all, there are other more accepted standards for SECURE music over the net, like liquid audio and WMA, that have a better compression rate and quality.

As for the physical media, it will never disappear, just evolve. We are already seeing DVD-Audio and SACD competing for the next level of music quality......

Depends.

If you want something like 10 or 20 gigs, get an iPod. They run for about three hundred bucks.

Or you can get a lower (128MB) one for around 90.

When I fist saw the topic of the thread, I was thinking no........but I voted yes. Things have to evolve in life and if they don't well, they will die off. The music industry is no different.......mp3's I think will one day replace cd's. When that will happen.....who's to say?

My guess is.....when the big whigs get together and realize what we here are discussing ourselves. The market is everchanging and they are going to have to try and put some control over the mp3's anyway (this is their thinking) so why not try and make money off of it??

:)

The answer is no. Sure, you can download MP3s, but how do you listen to music in your car without burning those MP3s to a CD? You don't. Not unless they have something I don't know about, or you wanna look like a total geek. I can just see it:

"Hey dude, I'm got my system put in. Oh yeah, I got a 1200 watt amp, 2 12"s and a phatty MP3 Player installed. Screw CD Players, those are sooo 20th century."

That'll impress the chicks.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

First of all, there are other more accepted standards for SECURE music over the net, like liquid audio and WMA, that have a better compression rate and quality.

As for the physical media, it will never disappear, just evolve. We are already seeing DVD-Audio and SACD competing for the next level of music quality......

Yeah, you're right.

But it seems to me that we're going from one standard (audio CD) back to multiple standards again. :( Is that a good or bad thing? I suppose it's good in a way, because it offers the consumer more choice...but will the best format win, or will it be like the Betamax/VHS video war, when the sub-standard format won because it was marketed better?

The other issue is cost, of course. You can get a portable CD player for a lot less than a portable MP3 player. Until the prices come right down, I don't think it will have the same mass-market appeal.

The other issue with downloaded MP3's is that you need a bit of knowledge to be able to burn CDs. If you just leave your MP3 collection on the hard drive, you're leaving yourself open to deep heartache when it eventually crashes. The Net generation may be entirely comfortable with that...but not usually the older generation, and they buy CDs too, don't forget. ;)

So I think audio CD will be with us for quite a while yet, unless the whole music industry changes tack and forces the end consumer into upgrading to newer technology. I can just imagine that, too...when you'll have the older generation (who grew up with audio CDs) griping about their old CD collection, and how good it was...just like they did when vinyl went out of fashion. :p

Archived