Home

Lightsabre Or Lightsaber?

Mex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, above all else, lightsaber just LOOKS better!

think its because the r looks like the curved half shield on the end of some saber designs... something like that... Just... well... looks beter.

I say this, and Im a Brit programer, so I am ALWAYS geting screwed over w/ the mix of Anglo-English and Amaerican English spellings I am expected to use.

I spell it "Lightsabre" as it's supposed to be. You heard right, it's "Lightsabre", not "Lightsaber". It's straight from George Lucas's mouth(or rather his hands), his own words. From the original draft all the way through to the new scripts, he spells it "Lightsabre".

In the novelization of "A New Hope", the most canonical type of book (it goes movies, then novelizations, then the radio dramas, in that order), it is spelled "Lightsabre", and in the credits of The Empire Strikes Back, the only time the word lightsabre itself is ever seen in a star wars movie, it's spelled "Lightsabre" in the final credits(in reference to the lightsabre CGI-FX developed by ILM). So, it is correctly spelled "Lightsabre", but you guys can type it any way you like, I'm not gonna make you spell it this way:D

Also, "sabre" is not a British word, it's actually French. ;) It is however, considered International English, and is used the world over, just not in the United States.

Something to back up my point

Link to a page that basically says exactly what I have here. Just do a search for "French" and it should take you right to it.

Archived