Home

Theory to the Ending

Yufster

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Alien426 here

In my opinion the whole being a child is a trick of LeChuck's. I wouldn't like it neither. Elaine herself says that LeChuck must have put a curse on Guybrush. So following the fashion that the viewer/player always sees what's really happening (i.e. the cut-scenes with Largo, LeChuck and the voodoo priest in the fortress) - instead of just what the avatar (Guybrush) sees - I say that she's right.

Originally posted by Yufster

I know he's the SAME little boy, the lil guy that's Guybrush, but still, you know, it sorta tears the soul outta him. Well for me anyway. Does anybody else feel the same?

100%!

The Pirates Of The Carribean typo is a little hard to spot. It says "Please lick here to view our Internet Privacy Policy." Doesn't work. Except everybody now thinks I'm in hot love with my screen...

this is getting damn confusing.....

I also thought of something (oh nooo)

what if the original storyline on monkey island 3 designed by ron continued there....?

When Guybrush lifts of Chuckies mask you see the Carnival thing. So what if the carnival thing is a flashback? Guybrush sees Chuckie's face and suddenly he sees scenes from the past....

Monkey3 should begin in the tunnels where MI2 Left.... Lechuck disappears by some evil voodoo spell and guybrush exits the tunnels (he goes with the lift to melee or he goes outside on dinky where elaine is still waiting for him). Then they could continue the story from there.....

and then anikin skywalker wake up, realises it was all a dream and goes back to work as a slave in wattos shop, how do you feel about that? i know it's on a completely different scale, but it's the same thing, we've fallen in love in guybrushes charcter and goals only to have that all taken away from him. it's stupid.

also, they did uintend mi to be one game, but it was too long for the disks (rememeber this was all orginally on floppy) so they made two games. work no the second one started on the same day as releas of the first. but ron gilbert did say that he had always intened there to be a third game (not CMI, something dioffernt) and i think he said recently that if he ever got the rights abck to monkey island, he'd make a monkey island 3a, which would be his vision of the game. so it all being a dream is, i think, the real ending.

I think that the people that claim the tunnels are Disneyland-like fairground passages are right. In MI1, in that alley, the door that you can’t open has an ‘employees only’ sign on it. For staff of the funfair. While I don’t believe this proves Guybrush is only a lil kid, I think it DOES prove the MI1 and 2 are interlinked. They PROBABLY already knew what was going to happen in that alley in the future MI2, which is why it was staff only. I think pretty much everybody agrees on the rumour that MI1 was split into two games because the story was too big to fit into one game. Therefore the ‘Employees Only’ sign and the door itself was put there intentionally because they knew they needed it for the future game.

If THIS much is interlinked, that means a lot of other stuff can be interlinked. This means, that if you play the game MI1, you can see stuff that is relevant to MI2, things that you might just pass by if it was only one game…but it’s not.

I think rather than pick MI2 apart for an answer, we need to dissect MI1 for an answer to MI2. And to all of you who believe the Kid theory (which utterly depresses me)

You’re entitled to your opinion, like everybody but consider this

1 – Guybrush is brave, determined and loyal to his dreams of pirating. He’s clumsy and has a sense of humour. He’s a pretty goodlooking young guy, in love with a woman he can’t have, but he’s strong-minded, so he runs after her anyway. He’s got a strong personality and can be a bit obsessive and clingy. Sarcasm is one of his favourite forms of subtle humour. He’s a lot smarter than the average pirate, so he’s out on his own when it comes to adventuring. He’s compulsive about things too, and does a lot of stuff without thinking it through. Hang on a second. Waitwaitwait.

I got that wrong. He’s a 6 year old kid in a theme park having a dream. Oh, right.

See, Ron Gilbert and Co. created a character. A person. Most of us, when we talk about Guybrush, have a mental picture of him in our mind (Sorry, I can’t use MI3 or 4 Guybrush to picture him. I have my own idea of him.) I’m not saying MI3 and 4 weren’t MI. I enjoyed those games, I really did, but they weren’t RON GILBERTS Guybrush. My real concerns are MI1 and 2. Anyway, when we talk about Guybrush, we think of him as a real person. We can describe him in detail, or imagine things he would do in certain situations. When you think of Guybrush, you subconsciously think of him as a person.

This is because Ron Gilbert CREATED A PERSON. He characterized Guybrush, gave him a soul, sort of. He gave him a certain way of moving, a certain way of responding, a certain way of behaving, a unique way of reacting, and so on. That’s what makes Guybrush so loveable, whereas a character like say….the Cook in the Bar Kitchen in MI2 is so unimportant. They have nothing to say, nothing unique about them.

I guess what I’m saying, is that if I ever played MI5 for instance, and Guybrush died, I would cry. I would cry in the same way as I would cry when I see somebody in a movie die. You feel like you know that person, and that person is real. You feel like something about their death is real. That’s why I would cry if Guybrush died. Even though it wasn’t even real. Because I feel like it is and I feel like saying Guybrush isn’t real is wrong.

So even if there are so many things that suggest Guybrush is nothing but a child… that’s the reason why Guybrush CAN’T be a child in a theme park. Because no self respecting genius would destroy such a loveable character like that. It’s the very same as killing him.

Er, but I didn’t cry when he turned into a kid. This is also why I believe Guybrushes parents may have died and he may in fact be rather sorrowful about it. Because even though it’s just a funny videogame, he has a real personality.

LONGGGG MESSAGE. Anyway so my above point about employees only… lets all take a scalpal and tweezers and pick MI1 to pieces for clues.

So even if there are so many things that suggest Guybrush is nothing but a child… that’s the reason why Guybrush CAN’T be a child in a theme park. Because no self respecting genius would destroy such a loveable character like that. It’s the very same as killing him.

Er, but I didn’t cry when he turned into a kid. This is also why I believe Guybrushes parents may have died and he may in fact be rather sorrowful about it. Because even though it’s just a funny videogame, he has a real personality.

LONGGGG MESSAGE. Anyway so my above point about employees only… lets all take a scalpal and tweezers and pick MI1 to pieces for clues.

To me it really just sound like you're trying really hard to convince yourself that Guybrush isn't a kid. You should read this updated theory with an open mind. It's good.

"So, with The Secret of Monkey IslandTM, I wanted to create a game that had the same flavor, but where you could step off the boat and enter that whole storybook world. The pirates on Monkey Island aren't like real pirates, who were slimy and vicious, the terrorists of the 17th century. These are swashbuckling fun-loving pirates, like the ones in the adventure stories everyone grows up with."

This doesn't really prove anything other than that Ron was inspired by the ride. A lot of things from the game have evolved from his experience on it, apparently, and indeniably the Tunnels are part of a Theme Park Underground system, as mentioned above. But first, Ron has said before that that's not true, (guybrush being a kid). And second, my point is that to take away the grown up Guybrush from us is to tear away all of his characterization and personality and leave us with a character that, though we have played for two games, we know nothing about. This is the main proof to me that Guybrush is not a child, merely because it would be completely destructive of a painstakingly constructed character. I'm open to all theories and love to hear them, but I believe with a goddamn burning passion he's not a child.

Also part of the theory that claims Guybrush is a child, and a part that really grates on my nerves, is when people say that it makes no sense to gave grog machines or T-shirts or whatever. If Ron based the game on a theme park ride, and many aspects of it are taken from a theme park, that doesn't mean the whole game IS a theme park. If the game was truly historically correct and didn't contain elements from the 21st century and suchlike, then we'd be left with a game of violence, blood, death, scurvy and terror. The game is supposed to be funny, and a lot of things, like the T shirts that you win, are probably just poking fun at lame Theme park prizes.

I really do want to believe Guybrush isn't a kid, I'm the first to admit it, but I've already stated my reason. I like Guybrush. I like the game. If it's all a dream, it's pointless.

I'm not saying all aspects of your theory are untrue. I think you're right about a lot of the stuff being from a themepark and you pretty much opened my eyes to that. But I believe Ron just loved that ride, and got the inspiration from it. That's all.

Just because I was inspired to start this thread by playing MI, doesn't mean this thread is secretly knitted together by MI elements, and really I'm a Monkey Island 1 Diskette from the past, playing Monkey Island on Melee Island with a Pirate Doll that I won in a carnival.

(Oh no, they're on to me!!!!) :)

Geeze calm down. You have to share your opinions. And no need to yell. Honestly. I don't believe Guybrush is a kid either but I don't nessecarily believe my theory is right. Arguing your point is the whole fun part, not hogging your theory to yourself. I don't even know your theory. What is it?

If Ron based the game on a theme park ride, and many aspects of it are taken from a theme park, that doesn't mean the whole game IS a theme park. If the game was truly historically correct and didn't contain elements from the 21st century and suchlike, then we'd be left with a game of violence, blood, death, scurvy and terror. The game is supposed to be funny, and a lot of things, like the T shirts that you win, are probably just poking fun at lame Theme park prizes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Saying "oh its just a theme park ho ho" is just a little bit of excessive simplification, but weaving immense family trees is excessive complication. I think the "real secret of Monkey Island" (which at this point equates to "the real intent of the original game designers") was to make it lie somewhere between the two.

I think its funny that you get mad at Ron's quote and say that it doesnt prove anything, or whatever, but really I think his quote illustrates more or less the two vague ideas you brought up, and then I reiterated. 1) loosely based around Pirates of the Carribean, and somewhat Disneyland as a whole, 2) make a game that is goofy in which pirates are fun and Guybrush is in it. ¬ Except I was lazy when describing "1)" and "2)" there, but you get the point.

"it's how the pirates talked back then. play along, guybrush"

Originally posted by SamNMax

Well, as you know Guybrush was sad with his parents, LeChuck took advantage of that. All that time, LeChuck was putting his plan together when Guybrush was finding the map pieces. He would have hunted him down himself, remember in MI1 he took care of it personally? He wouldn't have sent Largo out to get him, unless he was taking care of big business! LeChuck's Voodoo Servent sensed Guybrush would be in the tunnles so LeChuck waited for him. LeChuck patiantly waited for Guybrush to make the voodoo doll (He tried the voodoo doll on him the times he found Guybrush to keep him guessing). LeChuck was scared of the doll, but he would have his revange. Right when the leg was torn off, the spell was casted. At first Guybrush tries to fight the spell, but he's so happy to see his parent's and brother again he dosen't care about the spell or the alternate demension (Big Whoop). After the Maddley Rotating Buckanire, they head for the bumper cars. The demension is so mysticle and unreal, someone hit Guybrush so hard, he flew off Monkey Island. As soon as he reached the boundreys of the Island, he turns back to the real Guybrush (Hey, the Largo doll only worked in limited range, why not the Guybrush one?). He passes out, his memory of the carnaval is foggy but there. He only remember's his time as a grown up, but still how he got lost at sea. And never remembered about Chuckie, his parent's, or ripping the leg off LeChuck. All he remember's is the tunnles, and the Carnelval of the Dammed...

GS: How did you feel about the sequel, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge?

Ron Gilbert: It was a pretty good experience. I enjoyed doing it, though perhaps not as much as the first one. Not everything was new, but it was interesting to continue the whole story. I'd figured out how the story should progress. I was a little disappointed to not be able to make Monkey 3 and wrap up my version of the Monkey trilogy.

Well I guess this shows nothing much other than he certainly planned a part III and didn't get the opportunity to tell us his story as planned. Why won't he tell us the ending? Is it legal reasons? Maybe he really does intend to buy the rights of Monkey Island. What if he dies tomorrow?!?

Anyway if he planned a part III, I doubt Guybrush would be a child because as somebody whom I forgot the name of mentioned before and hit the nail on the head... What would Part III be about if Guybrush was a kid? "Monkey Island: Chuckie Hit Me" or "Monkey Island: Are We There Yet?" (Whoever thought that up has my sides splitting every time)

Why won't Ron TELL US!???

I wonder if Ron Gilbert Had this in mind even when he wrote SMI. The ending still kind of makes me sad. I was hoping for a lot more. And even though I've purchased a beat CMI and EMI I'm upset that Lucasarts just went ahead and made the games with out Ron Gilbert. If they would of just waited longer or made Ron Gilbert and offer he couldnt refuse the sequals would have been a lot better.

How stupid would it be if someone else directed the new Star Wars movies? CMI was tolerble but I weeped after I played EMI. Because it brings so much shame to the monkey island series. I honestly played that game once when I first bought it and never again since.

anyways, sorry for being off topic.

Even though finding out Guybrush's adventures were figments of a child's imagination made me sad, I would of rather it ended like that. That explains it the best because I dont think there is something such as a fun-loving pirate. So it makes sense that this was in some kid's head.

I'm going to a keg party. Later Monkeys!

Hey heyyyy! Don't give up!

Okay here's a predicament. What if Monkey Island 1 ended withhhhh.... Guybrush unconcious after mixing the ingredients of the spell in the kitchen. You know where he gets to monkey island? Well all we see is Guybrush faint, and then GAME OVER until MI2... lets suppose at the theories that would float the net.

1. The list was from the Voodoo Lady who is really a sidekick of LeChuck, and the ingredients were so that LeChuck could pick Guybrush off easily. MI2 starts with Guybrush in LeChucks Torture Chamber

2. Guybrush put too much Jolly Roger in the concoction, and it resulted in his death. There is no MI2. What a sucky game.

3. The list is a voodoo list, and it transports Guybrush to Monkey Island. MI2 starts with Guybrush lying face down on a beach.

4. Monkey Island is actually not an island, but a spell. The ingredients are mixed together to FORM monkey island, and Guybrush has unleashed a terrible evil. Monkey Island 2 starts with a stormy sea and the sea monkey fighting against a storm. This is also the same spell that caused LeChuck to die.

5. I hat that ending its stupd i hop ron giblet dies becuz i bougt that game and the ending sucks real bad and i don care GUYBRUSH CANT BE DEAD becuz he jus cant

6. Lets Face it, Guybrush is dead. It's the only explanation.

7. Puts GB into a coma that only Elaine can release him from and in MI2 you play as Elaine.

8. I think Voodoo lady was secretly in love with Guybrush. The spell was hers, and she wanted to snare him for herself. She was jealous of Elaine so she posed as a ghost pirate and kidnapped her. She cast a spell on everybody to make them think LeChuck was real. She planned to do away with Elaine so she could have Guybrush for herself, and the Spell was to make Guybrush forget who he was so she could lie and tell him that they were married.

9. This ending is GREAT, I haven't a CLUE what happened!

Okay, so who would have guessed that one of those answers was closer, and that was that the spell transports him to Monkey Island. Actually I'm not sure what the spell does but something like that. My point is, what happens next doesn't always make perfect sense, but it's usually the most satisfactory. In adventure games anyway. If MI1 had ended there, we'd all be killing ourselves with ridiculous theories about what the spell was, what MI2 will be, what the voodoo lady was...

So we're probably none of us right. One theory is probably warmer than another theory, but in the end, it's only a guess. If you don't like the ending, then trust me, it's probably not the ending as it appears, because Ron Gilbert was designing a game for PEOPLE, not weird people who like weird endings on good games. My point is, we're probably stretching it hugely out of proportion, but the Guybrush is a Kid is only another theory and if you don't like it, then pick it into a trillion gazillion pieces and SAY it, goddamnit.

Anyway if he planned a part III, I doubt Guybrush would be a child because as somebody whom I forgot the name of mentioned before and hit the nail on the head... What would Part III be about if Guybrush was a kid? "Monkey Island: Chuckie Hit Me" or "Monkey Island: Are We There Yet?" (Whoever thought that up has my sides splitting every time)

As I mentioned before, there has been some speculations of them wanting to make the third game kind of a reality vs. fantasy Total Recall kinda thing.

You mean like...... Is Guybrush dreaming or not? Like cleverly confusing the players by having certain parts where it's like he's dreaming and parts where it's like hes not? Like....Guybrush fighting against what he thinks is a dream and what he believes is reality? that kinda thing?

I'd love that!

Okay here's a predicament. What if Monkey Island 1 ended withhhhh.... Guybrush unconcious after mixing the ingredients of the spell in the kitchen. You know where he gets to monkey island? Well all we see is Guybrush faint, and then GAME OVER until MI2... lets suppose at the theories that would float the net.

Guybrush is not faint, all he has is his head stuck in the sand and some smoke coming off of his butt. I don't know when you're saying he got knocked out.

1. The list was from the Voodoo Lady who is really a sidekick of LeChuck, and the ingredients were so that LeChuck could pick Guybrush off easily. MI2 starts with Guybrush in LeChucks Torture Chamber

Well, there really is no "MI2" since it was meant to be one game.

2. Guybrush put too much Jolly Roger in the concoction, and it resulted in his death. There is no MI2. What a sucky game.

NO.

3. The list is a voodoo list, and it transports Guybrush to Monkey Island. MI2 starts with Guybrush lying face down on a beach.

There is no magical transportation in these games, only voodoo. This is not Harry Potter.

4. Monkey Island is actually not an island, but a spell. The ingredients are mixed together to FORM monkey island, and Guybrush has unleashed a terrible evil. Monkey Island 2 starts with a stormy sea and the sea monkey fighting against a storm. This is also the same spell that caused LeChuck to die.

Once again, there is none of that, only voodoo.

5. I hat that ending its stupd i hop ron giblet dies becuz i bougt that game and the ending sucks real bad and i don care GUYBRUSH CANT BE DEAD becuz he jus cant

What? Who said this? This is the most unlogical, completely lame, extremely vague and stupid explanation I have ever seen. Who ever said that he was dead for sure to begin with?

6. Lets Face it, Guybrush is dead. It's the only explanation.

Not really. There's got to be more detail than that. How pessimistic.

7. Puts GB into a coma that only Elaine can release him from and in MI2 you play as Elaine.

I don't think so, you can't control Guybrush with Elaine, you are Guybrush, and how could you get him to talk to yourself if you're the one controlling him from a third person perspective? That idea is just twisted.

8. I think Voodoo lady was secretly in love with Guybrush. The spell was hers, and she wanted to snare him for herself. She was jealous of Elaine so she posed as a ghost pirate and kidnapped her. She cast a spell on everybody to make them think LeChuck was real. She planned to do away with Elaine so she could have Guybrush for herself, and the Spell was to make Guybrush forget who he was so she could lie and tell him that they were married.

1) Why would she even be attracted to Guybrush?

2) We're talking about the Voodoo Lady here, I mean, come on.

No no no. Let's make this a little more SIMPLE. When the VOODOO INGREDIENTS ARE MIXED, GUYBRUSH FAINTS. Let us PRETEND Monkey Island ended there. IMAGINE the ridiculous THEORIES that would float the net. I'm not saying it DID end there. Jesus. Don't start picking holes in theories on a theoretical situation. I was using it as an example!!!

Originally posted by Helix Basiq

CMI was tolerble but I weeped after I played EMI. Because it brings so much shame to the monkey island series. I honestly played that game once when I first bought it and never again since.

Even though finding out Guybrush's adventures were figments of a child's imagination made me sad, I would of rather it ended like that. That explains it the best because I dont think there is something such as a fun-loving pirate. So it makes sense that this was in some kid's head.

:disaprove :disaprove :disaprove:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :

Archived