Home

CEL :) Shading, etc

Hannibal

What do you guys think of cell shading?

I'm not a big fan. I enjoyed the Robotech game for XBox but thought it could have looked a lot better if they didn't use cell shading.

I see that the new Zelda game uses cell shading and other games like JSRF. So it doesn't keep the games from being fun.

IMO the capabilities of the consoles are so great now I'd like to look at the graphics and think how great it looks.

Oh yeah the etc of the thread is this.

Did anyone else know about this?

They'll make anything into a game.

There is a Law and Order game(yes the tv show):confused: .

i don't mind cell shading so much, but only if it's being used 'appropriately' ... to represent something that is 'OLD SCHOOL' or something that should have the feel of a cartoon.

i know over in the JK2 forums, there were two models in the works that needed to be cell shaded, and i completely agree ... optimus prime and megatron (unfortunately these models are being made for UT2003 now).

------------

and for your 'etc' of this thread, i have one word to say ...

NOOOOO!!!

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh*

What do you mean, consoles are capable of good graphics so we shouldn't do CEL shading? You NEED good graphics to do it- you didn't see it on the SNES did you? I like it. Obviously it should be used in all or even most games, but when its used it looks fine. It doesn't mean graphics are less detailed because they are CEL shaded- it just means they have black borders around them. You could take KOTOR, put black borders around things, and it's not like it would look really crappy.

Besides, soon the consoles WON'T have good graphics. What do you mean "today"? Like we didn't have good graphics before? Whatever is currently on the top is ALWAYS good- NES was good when it was released, and soon we'll look on the Xbox and say "MAN that had crappy graphics".

I'd have been thoroughly pissed if KOTOR had been CEL shaded.

I think it has to apply to the games. Any cartoon game will look good with it. JSRF looked good.

I couldn't imagine a serious action game with CEL shading though.

Besides, soon the consoles WON'T have good graphics. What do you mean "today"? Like we didn't have good graphics before? Whatever is currently on the top is ALWAYS good- NES was good when it was released, and soon we'll look on the Xbox and say "MAN that had crappy graphics".

That's all relative. Like the PS3 will top the XBox the same way the XBox topped the PS2. It'll go on and on.

Who said "today"? I don't see that anywhere.

Originally posted by Hannibal

IMO the capabilities of the consoles are so great now I'd like to look at the graphics and think how great it looks.

Today. Now. Whatever.

And why can't you have a serious action game with cel shading? Its simply another graphical style. Thats like saying you can't have a serious action game that uses bump mapping a lot, or a serious action game that takes place underwater.

And rogue, what do you mean cel shading has no textures? Cel shading is simply putting black borders around objects- if I take Deus Ex 2, put black borders around it, are all the textures suddenly crappy? No.

Cel shading is good for games like DBZ and old Animies that some of you seemingly don't know about.

X box of course is more powerful, just a PC in a different package, unfortunately not a uniqieness to the engine unlike the emotion engine=more powerful built on with time.

Ps2 has the overall better games, and the big hits, but if your a PC gamer who wan'ts a console or play more PC ports then Xbox is yours.

Originally posted by Aerothorn

And why can't you have a serious action game with cel shading? Its simply another graphical style. Thats like saying you can't have a serious action game that uses bump mapping a lot, or a serious action game that takes place underwater.

I didn't say you couldn't. I said that IMO(which is all that I can state) that I don't feel that serious games should have CEL shading. I couldn't imagine Halo would be as popular if it was CEL shaded. I know I woudn't buy it.

Archived