Home

Space Shuttle Columbia Has Broken Apart Upon Re-Entry

Boba Rhett

Anyone remember Reagan's speech after the Challenger tragedy (almost 17 years to the day, by the way)? Some of you might be too young to remember it, but there was this beautiful line towards the end of it. I think it went something like this :

We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them - as they slipped the sillowy (sp?) bonds of earth to touch the face of God.

:( Everyone here in Florida is really bummed out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reagan paraphrased Pilot Officer John G. Magee, Jr. - a moving poem that has always touched my soul.

The Human race is diminished with the loss of the Columbia astronauts. These were men and women not like us - they were the finest Humanity had to offer - the very best of the best. Not because they were smarter, although they were that. Not because they were more physically fit, which they likely were. But because, like children, they still believed in ideals. They saw Humanity, not for its petty differences, but for its vast potential for greatness. And toward that end they selflessly volunteered their very lives, despite knowing they may not make it home.

Courage is a word used to describe heroes, and perhaps that's a fitting term. Because courage doesn't mean blindly rushing into harm's way. No, courage means fully understanding the danger, even being afraid, but doing it anyway. This is the very stuff astronauts are made of.

So in the name of progress, a dear price has been paid, and a planet mourns. And yet, I can't help but think that the Columbia-7 are smiling down on us, having died the way they lived, as shooting stars. May they forever sail among the stars.

Rest in peace, Columbia.

Originally posted by Vagabond

Reagan paraphrased Pilot Officer John G. Magee, Jr. - a moving poem that has always touched my soul.

The Human race is diminished with the loss of the Columbia astronauts. These were men and women not like us - they were the finest Humanity had to offer - the very best of the best. Not because they were smarter, although they were that. Not because they were more physically fit, which they likely were. But because, like children, they still believed in ideals. They saw Humanity, not for its petty differences, but for its vast potential for greatness. And toward that end they selflessly volunteered their very lives, despite knowing they may not make it home.

Courage is a word used to describe heroes, and perhaps that's a fitting term. Because courage doesn't mean blindly rushing into harm's way. No, courage means fully understanding the danger, even being afraid, but doing it anyway. This is the very stuff astronauts are made of.

So in the name of progress, a dear price has been paid, and a planet mourns. And yet, I can't help but think that the Columbia-7 are smiling down on us, having died the way they lived, as shooting stars. May they forever sail among the stars.

Rest in peace, Columbia.

Very well said Vagabond.

My heart goes out to the families of the Columbia-7.

RIP Columbia-7 you will always be remembered as heroes in my mind and I give props to you.:)

But let's see it this way: If a scientist dies because of an accident in his labratory, would he then be a hero? He most likely is more of a benefit for the world than an astronaut.

How come you are a 100 times more worth than a normal human if you're an astronaut? (and you "were" a thousand times worth a normal human being if you die:rolleyes: )

Still not to be rude.

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

But let's see it this way: If a scientist dies because of an accident in his labratory, would he then be a hero? He most likely is more of a benefit for the world than an astronaut.

How come you are a 100 times more worth than a normal human if you're an astronaut? (and you "were" a thousand times worth a normal human being if you die:rolleyes: )

Still not to be rude.

Because you arent doing anything extraordinary.

Or at least something that wasnt "cool".

Seriously,how many scientists are called heroes?

Edit- Also, there are thousands of scientists. But only 50 or so at the very most of actual astronaughts. You need to do something unique.

And also,which will grasp media attention(Keyword:media) more?

Scientist died in tragic lab explosion.

OrTragic loss of the Cloumbia shuttle,along with 7 astronaughts,one of which is Isrealic.

Let's not get stuck into a debate about the merit of scientists. Seven people died, that is what we are concerned about........

There are a limited number of people who have actually left the earth and it's atmosphere, I consider any of these people to be pioneers, and in that way heroes as well. These astronauts go where 6 billion others do not, off the face of this earth, and into outer space.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

Let's not get stuck into a debate about the merit of scientists. Seven people died, that is what we are concerned about........

There are a limited number of people who have actually left the earth and it's atmosphere, I consider any of these people to be pioneers, and in that way heroes as well. These astronauts go where 6 billion others do not, off the face of this earth, and into outer space.

But do you know who made those few pioneers able to leave the atomosphere? Scientists.

Anyways,it's really tragic that they did die. So close to home,too...

This squabbling over who is more heroic is sickening, especially in the face of such a tragedy. We all have our own personal feelings on what constitutes a hero. For me, and many others, strapping yourself to 3,785,000 pounds of fuel, hurtling yourself into orbit, conducting scientific work for the betterment of Humanity, in a vacuum, against the backdrop of lethal radiation, and then plummeting back to Earth through temperatures exceeding that on the surface of the sun, and doing it willingly - to me, that constitutes a hero. And I am thankful to them, and their families, for the sacrafice that they so selflessly made.

Which isn't to say that these are the only heroes in the world. Teachers, single-mothers, doctors, anonymous philanthropists...the list can go on, citing people from the lowest to highest levels of society - all heroes. But that's not the point.

A nation, and much of the world, is in mourning. Seven astronauts, a space shuttle, their scientific work was lost, with the future of manned spaceflight less certain. Whatever value you place on the work these people did, be proud of them.

You know, all this talk about not wanting to slow the Space program down is ,I think, nosense. What do they find in space? They go up, collect a few moon rocks, look at the world, say "Wowie, I'm in space", then come back down. I don't think they should put more money into the program. We don't get anything out of it! It's kind of funny...we can put a man on the moon, but we can't clean the trash on the streets? We can't feed all the hungry in the world? We can't find homes for the homeless? It's very sad. I just don't see the importence of going into space when we have so much work cut out for us on earth.

Originally posted by Skate Boy

You know, all this talk about not wanting to slow the Space program down is ,I think, nosense. What do they find in space? They go up, collect a few moon rocks, look at the world, say "Wowie, I'm in space", then come back down. I don't think they should put more money into the program. We don't get anything out of it! It's kind of funny...we can put a man on the moon, but we can't clean the trash on the streets? We can't feed all the hungry in the world? We can't find homes for the homeless? It's very sad. I just don't see the importence of going into space when we have so much work cut out for us on earth.

Earth wont last us for a while..we're already draining out it's resources MUCH faster than it can produce them..we need to go to other planets to house more people and build more farms.(Yes,farming is possible on another planet.)

Originally posted by Tyrion

Earth wont last us for a while..we're already draining out it's resources MUCH faster than it can produce them..we need to go to other planets to house more people and build more farms.(Yes,farming is possible on another planet.)

Well, at least we can try to do something! There is plenty of food in the U.S. alone to feed lots of people. *sigh* But, no, we want to kill them instead.:disaprove

Originally posted by mace_sundancer

there's more to space travel than collecting 'moon rocks' and going wow i'm in space! a lot of important medical and biological research is done in space...

Why can't they do that on earth? Is there something about space? If there is, please tell me.

The reason the space program continues is beyond even experimentation to understand physics and biology better.

Eventually, when the human race have, basically, ****ed up this planet as much as possible, we are going to need to colonise, just as in history, with settlers travelling to new lands.

Only this time, the stakes are a damn sight higher!

(PS - on happier, if somewhat unrealted note, as a FFVII fan - Tyrion - impressive Siggy Pic.)

Originally posted by nova_wolf

The reason the space program continues is beyond even experimentation to understand physics and biology better.

Eventually, when the human race have, basically, ****ed up this planet as much as possible, we are going to need to colonise, just as in history, with settlers travelling to new lands.

Only this time, the stakes are a damn sight higher!

(PS - on happier, if somewhat unrealted note, as a FFVII fan - Tyrion - impressive Siggy Pic.)

That's where we are different. I don't believe God will let the earth be like that. I don't want to get into a religon discussion here, so I'm gone.

EDIT: You know, I don't normally like arguing in these kind o threads, but I'm in a arguing mood today(And Yesterday).:D

you know what, i think out of everyone who has no connections to the astronauts, my swim team feels the worst, at our conference meet (on saturday the 1) they announced that the shuttle had broken up and the astronauts had died, but we didn't hear it so our seniors decided to lead us in a team cheer, we were the only ones talking and once we realized what we had done we felt awful stupid and bad, cuz we were doing our team cheer during the moment of silence, you have no idea how embarassing and sickening it is when you do something like that, we all felt the same way, sick and embarassed, we had about 4-5 people telling us "shut up!" "guys, guys not now!" i thought with that hanging on everyone's heads we woulda swam really bad, but we all did well and took home our 10th conference title in a row, going for 7 state titles in just under 2 weeks, i know this isn't really the place to say that, but still, i felt really bad, still do, but also, i am very sorry that they died and all, but they aren't really heroes in my mind, also, i heard that bush was upping the funding for NASA, don't know how reliable the source is/was (radio) but that's what has been said

now that really makes me angry. the reason the earth is going down the toilet is because not enough people are trying to stop the earth from dieing. i mean like we could invest all the money for space travel in saving the enviroment, cutting down gaseous emmissions, alternate energy sources, for a few decades, then we could still live here, i mean why look elsewhere, when you CAN STILL SAVE EARTH AND LIVE HERE? i think that is an extremely viable option.

FLuX-

We need to do both. Yes, we need to drastically improve our stewardship of our homeworld. However, we also need to step from the craddle and venture into the void. If we were content to stay where we were, our distance ancestors never have climbed down from the trees and began walking upright, or even climbed out of the oceans to begin with. Life is not content to stay in one place - it needs to maximize its prescence.

But aside from the philosphical and spiritual reasons, there are very real pragmatic reasons for Humanity to colonize other worlds - life on Earth is always at risk for a planet-killing asteroid impact. It has happened periodically in the past, and it will continue in the future. In fact, most scientists who study such things say that if the past is any indication, statisically, we are due for another catstrophic impact.

And looking even longer term, within the next 4.5 billion years, our sun will go red-giant, and vaporize the inner planets of our solar system. True, none of us will be around then, but I happen to be fond of our world, our people, our life, our spirit, and I'd like to see them carry on.

So, we can either stay in our warm, safe tide-pool, not venturing forth onto the cold, hostile beach of space, or we can do what we've always done - knock down new frontiers, adapt, and never look back. I believe even now, the Columbia-7 would say that the choice is clear.

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Not at all... :disaprove

:mad:

Just trying to get an answer on why astronauts are worth more than other people.

But aside from the philosphical and spiritual reasons, there are very real pragmatic reasons for Humanity to colonize other worlds - life on Earth is always at risk for a planet-killing asteroid impact. It has happened periodically in the past, and it will continue in the future. In fact, most scientists who study such things say that if the past is any indication, statisically, we are due for another catstrophic impact.

Yes, but what if we forgot about going to the moon, and instead used a tenth of that money to develop a system to protect us against asteriods? Then we'll be much safer and we won't need to move either.

I really don't see the point of space travelling, but it is important to do research about other planets and the universe, we can learn a lot by doing that. But I just have a little feeling that the only reason for humans to go to the moon is to show "We are the greatest! We can walk on the moon!". But just imagine how much good those money could be used for.

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

...I just have a little feeling that the only reason for humans to go to the moon is to show "We are the greatest! We can walk on the moon!". But just imagine how much good those money could be used for...

No, it's insurance for the survival of our species. We need to first colonize the moon, then Mars, and so on. If we have siginificant Human colonies on several planets, Humanity could carry on if the Earth were struck by a planet-killing asteroid.

1. Darky made my sig pic. So give kudos to him,not me.

2. Alot of experiments require no gravity,so they have to do it in space.

3. At the rate of out birth to death rate,we need to find more housing lands and more farms.(I think another billion people will come in 10 or 20 years..)

4. Tied into fuels. Nasa's other job,which is tied into space travel,is to find more efficient ways to use fuel.

Archived