Home

How Come...

DemonKing

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember the guys on the Death Star and Star Destroyers with black uniforms and a black helmet that resembled the Rebel helmets on the Tantive IV and Yavin Base?

Those guys were Imperial Naval Troopers ... shipboard troops ... and the Stormtroopers were infantry.

• 1 month later...

actually, stormie armour DOES deflect blaster shots...to a certain extent (that's why they're white...white surfaces reflect light). they can't really BLOCK shots off...just deflect some of it's energy to prevent fatal injuries. however, if the shooter is too close or the blaster too powerful (like han's blaster was...those DL-44s kick ass!), the deflector effect of the armour is negated.

stormies are a lot like marines in the sense that they're superior to regular army troops (yes, the imperials have an army with inferior soldiers. they even have naval troopers...those black guys with the funny helmets?) like marines, they're very versatile (hence the sandtroopers, snowtroopers and swamptroopers. lavatroopers, tho?!). they don't belong to the navy per se (just coz they serve aboard imp stars doesn't mean they're navy...army troopers & material like AT-ATs are stationed there too). i guess they're an intermediate group-like the marines.

also...i've come up with this theory on why the emperor's finest legion of troops was defeated by a troupe of furry, rock-wielding bears.... my guess is that the emperor evaluated those stormies on their superficial discipline alone (eg. the sharpness of their drill, the loudness of their cheers, the grace of their annual dances ...:p) ...after all, he did say FINEST and not the BEST (didn't he?). the adjective 'fine' is more relevant for superficial discipline than combat skill, imo...anyway, what i'm saying is that the emperor based his opinion on them on the sharpness of their drill & such...

the problem is that superficial discipline doesn't translate to true combat skill. the british in WWII were adept at superficial discipline, more so than the Americans, but their combat skill paled in comparison with their American counterparts (hence dunkirk and the fall of the lowland territories to Hitler...). the legion of stormies the emperor was talking about may not have been skilled at combat...it may not have had any combat experience at all.

and all this coupled with their lack of training against ewoks...u'll have a stormies massacre on the rebel's hands...

that was the RAF which did all that. the RAF was, to be sure, fantastic and valiant (and succesful) in it's efforts to deter the nazi invasion of europe.

the same could not be said of britain's army. they had really performed badly in the early years of WWII. they got their asses kicked by the wermacht in europe, 1940, and then again by an inferior (numerically) jap army in the malayan-singapore campaign, 1942, once again by an inferior german force in tobruk, 1942, and again by an inferior german army in the greek island of leros, 1943. their ONE victory throughout the early stages of the war, at El Alamein (late 42), was over an undersupplied, outgunned, outnumbered and outmatched Afrika Korps. in comparison with the americans of the 101st airborne @ bastogne, or the 2nd rangers @ pointe-du-hoc, or the 16th and 116th infantry regiments @ omaha beach, the british really sucked.

my point is, however, that at every point in the war, the british, while generally inferior to the americans in terms of fighting skill, were of a superior standard of superficial discipline. their drill was sharper, their uniforms better polished and their dress more in order, but they paled in comparison to the americans when combat skill was taken into account. had the emperor based his evaluation of his "legion of my finest/best troops" on, say, a parade which those units fronted where they displayed their cool drill maneouvres rather than an exercise of military skill or their level of combat experience, he would have been fooled into thinking that these fine troops would do well @ endor.(i might add that it's more common for the high-ranking imperial officials to be given a drill parade to witness as they arrived to inspect the unit rather than a military exercise) as the british have showed, however, superficial discipline does not translate to fighting skill. hence, the legion of the emperor's finest troops got defeated by a group of small, furry, intellectually- and technologically-inferior ewoks.

• 4 weeks later...

Lucas was using the same device he used at the end of A New Hope: the human spirit overcoming technological superiority.

This theme was inspired by the Vietnam War, when the biggest and the best military in the world was defeated by technologically inferior guerilla fighters.

However, looking back the Rebels were basically lost in Endor. The Ewoks helped a bit... their most prominent attribution to the battle was their ingenious traps, which got most of the AT-STs out of the way. Close in the Ewoks weren't doing very well. The only thing that saved the Battle of Endor was that Chewie captured an AT-ST of his own.

Just think what our impression of Ewoks would be if it wasn't for Luke and 3PO. Maybe Lucas should've gone for the PG-13 and had the ewoks cannibalize some annonymous Rebel Soldier before Luke's little trick...

Oh, and try to find the Star Wars Tales with the Ewok on the cover. It has one of the freakiest comics I've ever read :eyeraise:

good point, they seem like a bunch of brutal little buggars

btw, when in the movie are they actually called ewoks? how do we know that was what they were gonna be called when the movie was made? i think george lucas probably had some other name in mind but they wouldnt let him use it so they didnt name them in the movie and advertisers came up with a name for them

1) Big rocks fell on the head from a height? :confused: That's deadly...

2) Well, think of the armour of the knights. It could be pierced by other knifes and swords.

It keeps a safe...but not much...

They cannot die by something little. But a direct hit can make them toast :p

I want stormtrooper armor too. But I'm not about to pay $500 on ebay just so I don't get something that looks like a 10 year old's halloween costume.

Also what use is stormtrooper armour if it doesn't stop laser blasts or Ewok sticks?

1) To identify them as stormtroopers. Without the armor, say they all wore regular clothes, Luke and Han could have just walked around on the death star until they found Leia. That would suck.

2) It does offer some protection, as has been previously stated.

3) Fear. Look at those scores of troops lined up while the imperial march is playing in the background.

4) The actors can be as ugly as Jar-Jar and no one will notice. :)

3) Fear. Look at those scores of troops lined up while the imperial march is playing in the background.

yeah...but of course, the characters in the movie don't quite hear the imp march rage when seeing phalanxes of stormies lined up. :)

The actors can be as ugly as Jar-Jar and no one will notice.

lol...yeah, that's true... but it's not as if lucas was concerned with the actors' ugliness on screen when crafting the stormtrooper costume...

Nor could the charcters in the movie see the yellow text scrolling across the screen, and yet they knew what was going on.

;)

Anyway, maybe lucas was concerned. I mean, maybe they just couldnt find good looking actors?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I want Stormtrooper armor and I can assure you that it does NOT look like a child's halloween costume. Now I've made a list of things that Stormtroopers have done that prove their usefullness:

A New Hope

-Captured the Tantive IV

-Killed most of the Rebel Troopers onboard and captured the rest

-Captured Princess Leia

-Killed a clan of Jawas "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so presice" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

-Killed Luke's aunt and uncle

-Forced Han to retreat during his chase on the Death Star

-Forced Han, Luke, & Leia to retreat into the garbage masher

The Empire Strikes Back

-Drove the rebels out of their base on Hoth

-Took control of Cloud City

-Shot C-3PO

Return of the Jedi

-Gave Leia & Luke a challenge on the speeder bikes

-Captured the rebels on Endor

-Shot R2-D2

-Shot Princess Leia

-Killed some of the Ewoks & Rebel Commandos

and here's a list of things that stormies have done to manifest their stupidity & incompetence:

A New Hope

-Let a group of THREE infiltrate the most well-defended space station in the galaxy

-Couldn't take a position defended by a farmboy, a princess & a smuggler.

-got fooled by a droid--c3po, no less.

-Failed to take out a farmboy & princess

-retreated when charged by a total of ONE corellian lunatic(s)

-scored no kills

-all of this when they outnumbered their opponents by about 100000000:1.

Empire Strikes Back

-no, they didn't drive the rebels outa echo base. the walkers did.

-manifested stupidity by shooting a defenceless droid rather than capturing him & milking information from him

Return of the jedi

-they, the grand blaster-armed, heavily armoured stormtroopers of the imperial army, lost to a bunch of stone-wielding primitive teddy bears

-lacked competence to properly shoot of rebel leaders, instead concentrating on the damn ewoks

-cost rebel leadership nothing more than a small injury

I'm not saying that Stormtroopers are the best soldiers in the history of the universe, but there's some things you didn't consider:

A New Hope

-Han & Luke wore Stormtrooper armor and had Chewbacca has prisoner, the real Stormtroopers couldn't have done anything about that.

-Han is a letal smuggler, look what he did to poor Greedo! :greedo:

-The Stormtrooper thought that C-3PO was an Imperial droid, he had no clue that he was with the rebels.

-Scored MANY kills aboard the Tantive IV. An entire fleet of Rebel Troopers were wiped out or captured by Stormtroopers.

Empire Strikes Back

-The walkers invaded Hoth, the Snowtroopers infiltrated the base.

-They're very trigger-happy, C-3PO was in an unauthorized area.

Return of the Jedi

-The Empire trains the Stormtroopers to be over-confident and never trained them how to defend against primitive attacks.

Plus, you try moving, fighting, and seeing in that armor! Especially when you have a tribe of Ewoks jumping on your back!

Archived