Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Originally posted by Indy4

Jedi Knight IV is registered by Lucasfilm

Not only that...you will also find that JEDIKNIGHTV.COM is also registered to LucasFilm. :eek:

Jediknightvi.com is still available, though...

Does this mean they intend to make Jedi Knight III, IV and V?

OMG...that would be incredible! :cool:

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Solo4114

Intriguing...

If this is real, here's hoping Raven doesn't screw this one up. A few hints on how to make JKIII more fun than JKII in multiplayer:

1.) MORE GAME MODES. And more DIVERSE game modes. Don't just stick us with more of the same old DM-based crap. That's fine for some, but for others of us, it's getting boring. Try supporting CTF more this time, and maybe, just maybe, give us that SAGA game mode that was supposed to be in development. A class-based game mode would be a welcome change, wherein you could play as a gunner, or force wielder, but not both (or if hybrids are allowed, they aren't masters of either school of weapons). If this is not included, then please, give us some GOOD CTF maps and at least as many as you give DM maps. And don't just make the CTF maps converted DM maps, please.

2.) PLEASE balance the force powers well AND keep them true to the films. HAving people running around whoring pull/push and kick and such gets old VERY fast and really destroys the immersion factor of the game.

3.) Speaking of immersion factor, let's see some more blaster based weapons this time around, and less "flaming plasma ball of death" or "bouncy orbs of exploding death" guns. Try to keep the guns more related to the films. You can still have diversity of weapons and have them perform in a way that sticks with the films. There's nothing wrong with having strong guns in the game, but could we please keep them relatively closely related to the underlying source material this time around??

4.) Sabre combat. Hooboy...if you're basing 70% of the game on sabre combat, let's make DAMN sure that it's done right THE FIRST TIME this time. Towards this end sabres should be pretty much lethal no matter what swing or stance you're using. This means NO UBER MOVES. If you include an uber move that is a quick insta-kill every time, guess what: that's all people will ever use. If you keep all the attacks equal in lethality, people will actually bother to learn some skills at this game, and will take the time to use more than just one move. Sabres should also be able to block, but that blocking should depend on which stance is being used, how you're moving, and perhaps how skilled you are in that stance. At the very least, let's NOT have the random blocking from JKII. Take a look at ProMod for some underlying code ideas. Acrobatics are cool, naturally, but please, no stupid backstab crap, no DFA stuff, etc. Oh, and one last thing: don't make MP combat differ from SP combat. If you let us do it in SP, let us have the ability to do it in MP and have the combat systems work the same (same blocking, attacks, techniques, etc.). If you want to add MORE to the MP (IE: these powers are included in MP only, IN ADDITION to the SP powers), that's cool.

5.) RELEASE IT WHEN IT IS GOOD AND READY. Do NOT kick it out the door early. I for one will not buy an unfinished product. Towards this end, can we please check to see that MP bugs like the original DFA bug and the backstab bug from 1.03 are eliminated the first time around? This will help contribute to keeping the community in relative harmony because they won't have to relearn how to play the game.

6.) RELEASE A PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER DEMO BEFORE YOU PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME. When the hell is LucasArts going to learn that releasing a demo can only HELP your game and your development team??? What is up with releasing a demo months after you've released the game itself?? If you let us play the game in a beta form in the MP demo, guess what, that gives you feedback BEFORE you release the final product, and it lets us playtest and bugtest for you. We'll spot all the little issues that you might miss in Q&A because...well...because we're geeks and that's what we do. :)

And here's hoping someone's actually reading this who has the ability to implement these suggestions. :D

Wow, I actually agree with you here. The idea of removing special moves from saber combat is a good one, there aren't "special uber moves" in swordfighting, there are attacks of opportunity. Maybe have it so that if you successfully execute a combo of attacks that are blocked (not parried) then you sufficiently weaken the enemies standing so that you can execute an overall more lethal attack. Ie there are attacks can't be blocked, but they are only accessible as a finishing move, like in a real swordfight.

If you get my drift...

well it's been rumored that this game will be on the D3 engine not Q3. also each map is supposed to be able to support 128 (64 vs 64) players.... hope these maps dont become more windy than chicago. also this is an entirely new game not an expansion pack (which is also rumored to be in the works). in anycase most of this stuff isnt idle speculation and if i remember correctly alot of the game's development is going to be in europe so naturally a euro mag would have it first.

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

Well they look nice but Hekx... on your 3rd post of pics, look at the one on the right middle... it looks a LOT like the JKO level on Yavin with a little fog added in... hoax?

nah the green isn't green enough. its not that map either, the pillars are round in that shot, and are much wider

[edit] nevermind i looked at the second set lol! my bad

Originally posted by Nookie

^_-

I don't think we'll be able to fight the reborns again, because the 3 last pictures seem to be graphical comparisons between JK3 and JK2. Maybe the one on the JK3 side, next to the padawan Reborn will be the new kind of Dark Jedi recruits or Reborns in JK3. You never know.

And everyone, I believe it isn't an expansion pack, it's a whole new game, because as the summary said, it's on another modified engine, but has completely different features. Expansion packs merely run from the old game files usually.

The graphics do seem to have been improved, but i'm wondering if they'll be good enough to compete with modern day graphics. Especially with BIG maps running on a Quake 3 engine. Sounds a bit worrying.

well. i don't recognize the top and bottom pics on the right (texture or structure wise)

Aoshi, I think I heard it's on another modified Quake 3 engine. Where so you get these rumors?

Expansion pack? Where did you hear that? :D That can sustain us with fresh jedi knight until Autumn, when it is supposed to be released.

I wonder when they'll release a basic storyline. First DF game not to be played as Katarn:(. Oh well, he'll probably be important anyway (I think I heard that you are one of his students in JK3)

Originally posted by Solo4114

Intriguing...

If this is real, here's hoping Raven doesn't screw this one up. A few hints on how to make JKIII more fun than JKII in multiplayer:

1.) MORE GAME MODES. And more DIVERSE game modes. Don't just stick us with more of the same old DM-based crap. That's fine for some, but for others of us, it's getting boring. Try supporting CTF more this time, and maybe, just maybe, give us that SAGA game mode that was supposed to be in development. A class-based game mode would be a welcome change, wherein you could play as a gunner, or force wielder, but not both (or if hybrids are allowed, they aren't masters of either school of weapons). If this is not included, then please, give us some GOOD CTF maps and at least as many as you give DM maps. And don't just make the CTF maps converted DM maps, please.

2.) PLEASE balance the force powers well AND keep them true to the films. HAving people running around whoring pull/push and kick and such gets old VERY fast and really destroys the immersion factor of the game.

3.) Speaking of immersion factor, let's see some more blaster based weapons this time around, and less "flaming plasma ball of death" or "bouncy orbs of exploding death" guns. Try to keep the guns more related to the films. You can still have diversity of weapons and have them perform in a way that sticks with the films. There's nothing wrong with having strong guns in the game, but could we please keep them relatively closely related to the underlying source material this time around??

4.) Sabre combat. Hooboy...if you're basing 70% of the game on sabre combat, let's make DAMN sure that it's done right THE FIRST TIME this time. Towards this end sabres should be pretty much lethal no matter what swing or stance you're using. This means NO UBER MOVES. If you include an uber move that is a quick insta-kill every time, guess what: that's all people will ever use. If you keep all the attacks equal in lethality, people will actually bother to learn some skills at this game, and will take the time to use more than just one move. Sabres should also be able to block, but that blocking should depend on which stance is being used, how you're moving, and perhaps how skilled you are in that stance. At the very least, let's NOT have the random blocking from JKII. Take a look at ProMod for some underlying code ideas. Acrobatics are cool, naturally, but please, no stupid backstab crap, no DFA stuff, etc. Oh, and one last thing: don't make MP combat differ from SP combat. If you let us do it in SP, let us have the ability to do it in MP and have the combat systems work the same (same blocking, attacks, techniques, etc.). If you want to add MORE to the MP (IE: these powers are included in MP only, IN ADDITION to the SP powers), that's cool.

5.) RELEASE IT WHEN IT IS GOOD AND READY. Do NOT kick it out the door early. I for one will not buy an unfinished product. Towards this end, can we please check to see that MP bugs like the original DFA bug and the backstab bug from 1.03 are eliminated the first time around? This will help contribute to keeping the community in relative harmony because they won't have to relearn how to play the game.

6.) RELEASE A PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER DEMO BEFORE YOU PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME. When the hell is LucasArts going to learn that releasing a demo can only HELP your game and your development team??? What is up with releasing a demo months after you've released the game itself?? If you let us play the game in a beta form in the MP demo, guess what, that gives you feedback BEFORE you release the final product, and it lets us playtest and bugtest for you. We'll spot all the little issues that you might miss in Q&A because...well...because we're geeks and that's what we do. :)

And here's hoping someone's actually reading this who has the ability to implement these suggestions. :D

Woah, you know what you want, don't you? SAGA has been done and there was a released map of it, but I haven't seen any others. I agree with you. Who could argue with the demo release, but wouldn't a multiplayer demo have to be a bot match, otherwise half of te servers would be demos.

JKV.com has been registered by Lucasfilm? :eek: Already? :D That's reassurance that it won't end there.

Fastest growing thread EVER. +45 posts in one day! Everyone wants JK3. I wonder how many threads on this subject there will be until Fall. Then, it will have its own forum.

Originally posted by Bart Skywalker

P.S. Did anyone else take the survey? If yes, are any of the features said to be in it ones that you wanted?

Yeah, I took the survey ;). When I was reading the summary of the JKIII features I could not believe it... I still can't. So many of them are things I had planned to do in Rebel Operations, such as the character creation and non-linear missions. Wow :eek:. Well, less coding for us I guess :cool:.

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

I think the chance of a German publication getting the scoop on a state side release is pretty slim but you never know.

:cool:

Well, my dad goes to yugoslavian sites, (were yugo) anyways, he goes there to get info on the war and stuff. they tell more there than they do here in the US...:confused:

Originally posted by Bart Skywalker

I hope you will be able to fly ships. I took a Lucasarts survey about JKIII and said I wanted ships most of all. I hope they listened.

I'll go out on a limb here, since it is obviously still the Quake3 engine (:() and say that most likely there won't be... and if there are, they won't be very spectacular. Think swimming with more health a model around you, and a mounted weapon.

Frankly, I hope this time around Raven will actually release the recourses needed for real mods to be made, unlike what they did with JK2, and obviously Lucas Arts didn't seem to care enough to push for it.

Another thing, you will notice the frown about the Quake3 engine. Sure, it is cheaper, and faster, because they don't have to license another engine and create all new resources, but there are various problems with the Quake3 engine, that I haven't seen any game correct, in this case mainly with the lighting, specifically, dynamic lighting. Mind you, when you shell out the cash for the license (Which I am sure because Activision publishes for id, the cost is minimal), you get the full engine source, so you can change it all you want.

Has anyone else noticed that when they use their lightsaber, it doesn't light up a dark room? Do you wonder why? Quake3 has this nasty little problem with the dynamic lighting model. The engine wasn't made for dark places, and as such it wasn't really a big problem. You see (for anyone familiar with Photoshop, you will be able to visualize this), Quake3's dynamic lighting using a multiplicative algorithm. What this means is that when you have a dynamic light, the color and “brightness” is multiplied against the lighting and surface it is contacting. So, if you have a room with patches of lighting, or texture color (Which are combined to create the rendered surface which is then used as the base brightness) less than a unit of “1,” (Which is actually 255, or white) there is a nasty problem. You see, if any RGB-L(luminosity) value is less than pure white on the rendered pixel before the lighting, you will end up with the dynamic lighting, actually making whatever is below it, darker.

Here are examples from an old screenshot where even the sabers them selves were using multiplicative filtering. What I have done is just created a second layer and either multiplied, or added, except on the "normal" one.

Normal (Nothing done)

Multiplied

Additive (Photoshop Screen)

As you can see, there is clearly a difference. Most new game engines use additive lighting, or some form of it for their lighting techniques. You can see clearly why it is an advantage. One, it actually lightens the area, and two, it is actually easier to calculate, even for a computer adding is easier. This is, as far as I can tell, what the lightsaber it self uses to blend in the retail release of JK2, yet as you can see, the dynamic lighting does not. Sure it is easier to change the code for a shader than it is to change the code in the engine, but isn’t it worth it? You can see the problems even in official maps, although it was never a gameplay problem.

I guess you could say it was just another thing Raven didn’t do that limited what people could do with the game. I seriously hope that it is rectified; as well as some other much more minor faults that I can still see in the JK3 screenshots. (Such as the lightsaber blur’s abrupt stop when pausing.)

Bottom line, in JK3, what I want to see, is additive lighting (a minor engine change as far as I can tell), as well as the following:

The entire source (not the engine it self) for the game, single player and multiplayer released.

Model animation source and format data, as well as a greater community focus, IE Lucas Arts and Raven not totally ignoring fans pleads for things like the single player and modifiable animation source.

Many mods overlooked the Quake3 engine just because of the dynamic light problem. JK2 has many others.

But who am I? A famous mod maker; an industry insider; A fan that just wishes for once an out of house, multi-licensed game would be treated like something other than just an instant moneymaker but will not even come close to having his wishes listened to or implemented?

I think we know the answer to that one. But for the sake of the argument, let’s say I am both A, B, and C, just so I have some credibility.

And for the record, I am not some raving Star Wars zealot. Frankly, I am just sick of the Quake3 engine sitting around with hardly any real changes being done to it. I am a fan however, but I really could care less about sticking to what George Lucas has said and written, or says he had, years after the fact. I just want one Star Wars game, that can actually be all that it can be, as well as being very modifiable, even if allowing mods could possibly mean that mods could go against what is official! (OH NO!#!$!) That isn't to say, that that is actually the reason JK2 was limited, just throwing it out there however.

KotOR is probably going to be a great Star Wars game, but modifiability will not going to exist, JK3 has potentially re-opened the doors for the current community and future mods. I just hope the door isn’t once again, slammed in everyone’s faces.

Here's to hope. *raises can of pop/soda*

Edit: It is possible that this is real, but for LEC to not announce it and it only be on one site, have incredible resemblence to JO and KotOR, and be very close to April Fool's day...

Reasons why this is a hoax:

It's close to April Fool's day.

LucasArts is infamous for wanting to make the most amount of money possible. The earlier a game is announced, the more attention and hype it attracts which ultimately leads to more money. LucasArts would never announce a game so late, especially when it's 60% done.

LucasArts didn't even announce it.

The Twi'Lek model looks incredibly similar to the Twi'Lek model for JO.

The lightsaber and blaster effects look incredibly similar to JO. Infact, they are identicle.

It's close to April Fool's day.

LucasArts wants money. Lots of money.

To those who really think this is an April fools joke all together (The screenshots may or may not be), Activision slipped word of a new Jedi Knight game about a month ago, which seems a bit early for something that would be a massive multi-corporation April Fools Joke.

Activision publishes for id (Who made and own the Quake3 engine which JK2 and what seems to be JK3 is based on), and is the main corporate buddy for Raven. Lucas Arts would do most of the legal type deal making through Activision.

The models do look higher quality, sort of along the level between ST: Elite Force, and Elite Force 2... they both use the Quake3 engine, but are made for different levels of systems. That and, to make the most money may not have all to do with when they announce something, rather than just saving money by having Raven re-use and build upon what they made for JK2.

The character customization may seem beyond the scope of the engine, but skin color could be done using a back to front end line in the config that would tell a shader what to do. Pretty much using the same config back-front end link, they can make "variable" lines in the model's shaders to make parts of models appear or not exist, like bags, belts, shoulder pads etc, that can be seen in many custom Quake3 models, although it is more of a per-skin thing.

Besides, they would probably wait for E3, when they really can get the word out. How many times has Lucas Arts announced games recently, NOT at E3?

If you must, I suppose you could probably think of JK3 like a standalone add-on, which have become all the rage. (Mainly because they can charge $50 for them, and stores are more likely to carry them because of that. Retail stores are why $20 add-on packs don't exist anymore, $30 is the minimum it seems.)

1.) I hope this IS a joke

2.) Because it's way, way, way too early for JK3 and when they do make it it needs to be a much more significant jump in technology.

3.) I was just thinking a few days ago that I hoped Raven would make an expansion pack for JK2, like Mysteries of the Sith for JK1.

4.) Nobody who has been with the series long should be upset if they do make an expansion and it isn't Kyle... it wasn't Kyle in MOTS.

5.) boinga1, is your icon racist???

Archived