Home

Fan Art...your opinions required...STROGG-U-LIKE

StormHammer

Originally posted by Pedantic

Ummm...pretty good, but I agree that Kyle needs to visit Subway more often and Luke's face looks slightly...Beavis and Buttheadish. Sorry. :)

That was so funny Pedantic :rofl:

No offense of course Katarn07 but like someone said above you need to improve on the face and Kyle's gut. Other than that it looks good and I like your Skywalker. Looks real good.

As for Stormhammer I think it looks good except for the hair. She looks like she is wearing a Medusa wig. The eyes look a little pyscho too. May want to not make them that odd looking. And I was wondering about the blaster shot cause it looks like one went through her hand and like the other one is about to too. But other than that it looks awesome man. Something that should belong in a comic book :D

:lsduel::duel:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't really wanna make a cool picture and say I copied off of someone.

So I restarted not only the picture, but the whole concept.

He is still in the JK outfit, but has a Bryar Pistol in his right hand and the data disk of the message of Morgan in the other. He is turned around while running, blasting at an unseen foe. I plan on copying it when doe with Kyle, adding a background and have fun shading it.

I want your opinions since I left his torso, limbs, and weapons unfinished, but the camera I used disappeared! Grr, I have to go look around my neighborhood to find out who's it was and if I can borrow it for my own stuff.

Originally posted by StormHammer

Okay, I got to doodling last night, and decided to revamp my Mara Jade Fan Pic from scratch. I'd always intended her to be on the table of a cantina or something, so i came up with this...

MaraSketch1.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback, so I know I'm on the right track...or not...before I colour it. ;)

Thats awesome....i myself am artistically impaired :S

I like the rest better, Groovy. Especially the Goldfinger Grooveyfinger one :D

Also, I would like to show you this picture so you all say if he's to fat or has too small of a head. I am not sure he is for either of those, but I do know his legs are a tad to long.....

I plan on adding a neon lit sign behind him to be the light source, along with the blaster bolt that is exiting the page and entering an unseen cronie of 88's....

Also, Kyle's beard is not colored in, but instead I did each individual hair. Looks alot better, so I can show it being lighter in some areas than others.

Now why I came here, question for Stormy.

How do you know where to put the folds in clothes? I got Kyle somewhat posed like Mara, excluding his right arm which is facing downward. I am unsure as to where I would put the folds where the gauntlet wraps around and where the shoulder pad's band wraps around his bicep.... Also, have any suggestions how to make his hair more realistic instead of like a Ken-doll's?

Originally posted by Katarn07

I like the rest better, Groovy. Especially the Goldfinger Grooveyfinger one :D

[/b]

Yeah Jeezum Crow was not all that popular, it went streight to DVD pretty much. And Saturday Night Groover was like only released to private audiences in Tazmania, but has a large box office draw in Fiji.

Next movies coming up will be more successful, no worries!;)

Originally posted by Katarn07

Now why I came here, question for Stormy.

w do you know where to put the folds in clothes? I got Kyle somewhat posed like Mara, excluding his right arm which is facing downward. I am unsure as to where I would put the folds where the gauntlet wraps around and where the shoulder pad's band wraps around his bicep.... Also, have any suggestions how to make his hair more realistic instead of like a Ken-doll's?

Okay, here's a simple tip...go and put a long-sleeved sweat-shirt/jumper on...something a little baggy, and stand in front of a mirror. No, I'm not joking, and I haven't taken leave of my senses. Now move your arms around, twist your body, bend over...and keep an eye on the sweatshirt in the mirror. You should see that as you move, it creates folds in certain places. Usually, the folds tend to follow the line of action or movement. If you cross your arms in front of you, you'll see vertical folds down your front, if you bend over, horizontal folds, and so on. Getting realistic folds in cloth is sometimes difficult, and sometimes reality looks a bit odd on paper, so you have to find the right balance between realism and what feels right.

As far as anything pressing onto cloth, depending how tight the cloth is against the skin, you should see some puckering or gathering around the edges of that object, whether it's a belt, shoulder pad, the top of a boot, etc.

Anyway...using your own reflection as reference is such an obvious thing to do that few people ever think to do it. :)

Regarding hair...well, hair is very tricky. You can aim for realism, and try to render every strand, or just try to capture the effect of light and shadow. Again, you should refer to a good picture, or your own reflection, and really study how the light interacts with your hair. Keep in mind that hair itself is a fair light reflector, and don't forget about partings (left, right, centre). Because hair follows the contour of the head, remember to shade in a curve, from darker to light. Remember also that if you are going to have strands of hair across shoulders and the face, they will cast some shadow, which helps to place them in 3D space.

Looks like I'll have to write up another tutorial with examples soon. :D

Thanks. All I need now is a long sleeved shirt... :rolleyes:

I got the shirt torso down with that advice, I'll have to find a jacket or something for the sleeves. As for hair, I'll just experiment on another sketch until I have the right style I want.

Grrr, gotta get a scanner!

I have finished most of Kyle. After many attempts on his arms, my mom (who actually has constructive critism) got me to get his arms the right size. I have not detailed them yet, nor his legs which I do not think look right. Still not to pleased with his hair, but other than that, it looks good.

Once I get it up here, get your guys feedback, and finish it, I'll copy it and add a background. Kyle has no saber in Nar Shaddaa, so I was thinking Baron's Hed or something as the backgrounds...

By the way, of your unreal sketches, this one caught my eyes and I think it is awesome.

GinavTitan.jpg

I also like the stranded Bounty Hunter, is that new? I don't remember seeing it. Keep up the good work ;).

Thanks again, m8. :)

That sketch still needs some work...although I'll probably make the necessary changes when I colour it.

The stranded Bounty Hunter has been sitting on my HD for about a year...I just never got around to finishing it, or showing anybody before now. I'm glad you like it.

What did you think of the site design?

Anyway...about getting a scanner...you might be able to find a cheap second-hand one somewhere that'll do the job. :)

Well, I don't like the site any better than the last, but it is no worse. What I liked was all the new content. And if it wasn't new, than I like the new site better because I didn't see any of it there before...

Now for a question

Originally quoted by Stormhammer at his site in the 10 Tips

4. If you want the focus of the picture to be an object or person, try to keep the background a bit hazy. It is tempting to add a lot of detail...but if you do, you will need to work all the harder on the main object of attention to make it stand out. It's often better to keep background details hazy and out of focus.

I have made a background by tracing Kyle's outline onto another peice of paper. If I had a camera, I'd show you. Tell me if this sounds like it has too much detail.

1) Zabrak bartender diving behind the bar, knocking over some glasses. Dressed in the pedestrian clothes men do in JK1.

2) Neon-lit sign over bar with Max's head (from Sam and Max) on it and it says some stuff in the SW alphabet on it (Welcome to Max's Place).

3) Bottom right hand corner, there is the head of a Gran facing upward as he screams, an arm is seen on the right edge of the paper. He was killed by Kyle just now before Kyle spun to face an unseen foe elsewhere in the bar.

4) Bottles, glasses, pitchers, etc are on a shelf behind the bar and it takes up the entire page.

I will snap a shot of this page as well as the real one of Kyle when I get the camera. In the meantime, if possible, tell me if that sounds like to much. Also, what do you mean out of focus? Like the Ithorian in the balcony of your sketch? In mine, Kyle is right at the bar, just spinning around (similar to what he does in JO after the Chiss sets him up)

It sounds like a good scene. :)

I would say the closer a character or object is to your main character or focus, the more detailed it should become. Take my scene, for example. I lavished a bit more detail on the Gran and Rodian, because they're right next to Mara. But Mara still has more detail, and darker lines and shading to make her stand out. I mean...you don't want to spend a load of time making all of the bottles in the background look great, and give them all detailed labels. What's the point? Kyle is your main focus, so obviously he should get the most attention when it comes to detail. Just sketch in some bottles (lightly), do some squiggles for text, if need be, and let them fade into the background. Of course you can still have other characters in the scene...and yes, the Ithorian in my sketch is a good example. He's still got a little detail, but he's not too prominent. I deliberately avoided using dark lines, and didn't use a great deal of shading.

So if you've got characters behind Kyle, sketch them more lightly, and give them enough detail and shading for you to see who or what they are, and where the light is coming from. If you have a character very close to Kyle, then spend more attention on them and make them more prominent. Just ensure that Kyle is even more greatly detailed, with crisper lines and some darker shading to make him stand out among the crowd.

Hope that helps. :)

That helps. The bartender is right there, so he would be more detailed, as would the dead Gran. I was just going to make weird glass on a shelf, something out of the original Star Trek. I have pinpointed the light sources (saber, neon sign, stray blaster bolt + splash, and Bryar pistol's muzzle... lots in other words.) I'll get that camera tonight and post the picture and the background...

Posted by Stormy

I finally got around to finishing the picture I promised Gonkh8er...oooh, a while ago now. ;)

[...]

As before, I'd appreciate any feedback. Be as critical as you want. ;)

"It was well worth the wait" :D

;)

As for criticism... The redness of Vader's(?) sabre is a little too washed-out... It could do with being a bit more menacing... It's sorta... pink :D

The Emperor-like dude could look a bit meaner and more annoyed, too, but other than that it's fantastic - lovely lighting and detail, as usual from you mate :D:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

As for criticism... The redness of Vader's(?) sabre is a little too washed-out... It could do with being a bit more menacing... It's sorta... pink

Yes, I agree. I was having problems trying to get it right. :( For some reason it just didn't come together this time. I'll have to brush up on doing sabers again.

Originally posted by GonkH8er

Funnily enough, the emporish guy kinda looks like me Add a little dark tringle of hair under his lower lip and it'd be pretty damn close

Heh...the reference pic I used was a bit too grainy. :D I saved those pictures too, you know, Gonk. :naughty:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. ;)

I was going to wait to comment on your work when I got that camera, but it ain't happening anytime soon... :(

I agree with the pink saber. And the Emperor dud would look more menacing if you did what was suggested.

Also, that Quake thing is awesome. I'm glad you explain your art on your site. It makes alot more sense. (check his sig if you are as baffled as I was)

Anyways, hope you back here soon. ;)

Archived