Home

Fan Art...your opinions required...STROGG-U-LIKE

StormHammer

Okay, I got to doodling last night, and decided to revamp my Mara Jade Fan Pic from scratch. I'd always intended her to be on the table of a cantina or something, so i came up with this...

MaraSketch1.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback, so I know I'm on the right track...or not...before I colour it. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's awesome stormy... she doesnt look 55 years old like she did in the last one :) I thought she was some kind of hideous witch.....

Looking fannnntastic matey ;)

And when you gonna get round to that gonk death picture u were gonna make me? :D

Can't wait to see this one coloured, if you're going to colour it :)

:eek:

Wow! Damn, I really wish I could draw that well :(

IMO, you're certainly on the right track Stormy - most impressive! :D

*edit*

Posted by GonkH8er

It's awesome stormy... she doesnt look 55 years old like she did in the last one :) I thought she was some kind of hideous witch.....

*giggle* Well that's one way to put it... I prefer to be a little more diplomatic :D

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

*giggle* Well that's one way to put it... I prefer to be a little more diplomatic :D

Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic piece of artwork... It just didn't look like her in my opinion :) Awesome nonetheless....

[belgiumEvilDrVoice]Cooool.[/belgiumEvilDrVoice]

That looks alot better. It reminds me of the Ka'pa the Hutt level from MotS while you go through the cantinas to get to the skylight... That is really amazing. I like that one alot better. Hope you do a painted version as well.

I love the alien's features, along with the tipping cup and card game. I didn't notice the Ithorian on the balcony at first, nor the shadows up there. Very good ;)

Originally posted by leXX

Wow, very good indeed. Just one thing... maybe you could make her a little...well...more attractive, and make the hair more neatly flowing.

You didn't see the painting... did you??? :D:p:D

This is alot better, and never tamper with something that good. When I tamper with my art, it ends up all erased and in the trash all because a simple remark like, "That legging is to big." or "The sgt stripes are to small." "Add a T in there." "Put a infantry marking on his helmet." "Why do you always put a cigerette in the guy's mouth?"

My response to the last one should be, "I don't know? The guy is just standing there by a bombed-out Frenh village, is not in combat, and all the others end up in the trash because of you!"

I have A Level Art. If there is one thing I've learnt, it's that it's better to have good constructive critisism rather than hearing... 'oh it's excellent' all the time. I'd much rather someone was truthful with me, because that is the only way we ever improve. :)

He posted his picture here to hear feedback, and that is what I'm giving him. I feel a lot of people are not honest when giving people feedback. I'm always honest.

Well, I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with her hair, but if there was something to fix on the face to give her a more feminine look, I have ne clue what it'd be, so I'll keep my mouth shut so if you do decide to correct it, you won't correct the wrong thing because of me.

leXX, I think you should say what is wrong with the face to make it more useful constructive critism.

It's not that I can't draw that, (well, my face for Mara would have alot more contructive critism than what leXX gave) but I cannot shade like that.

How do you do that? I can do the outline, but not the shading. What does one use for that.

Why did I sign up for Spanish over Art? Man, I could have done alot better things with art than how to cojugate in 3 different tenses and not knowing any vocab...

Originally posted by GonkH8er

LOL :D Yeah...I'm inclined to agree with you. Mind you, maybe that's how she turns out in the end...

And when you gonna get round to that gonk death picture u were gonna make me?

Don't worry, mate. I haven't forgotten. I already have a very rough colour scene sitting on my HDD...but I've been waiting for my skills to catch up with my concept. It's going to have some serious work done on it soon. ;)

Can't wait to see this one coloured, if you're going to colour it

Yep. It will definitely be coloured...eventually. ;)

Originally posted by leXX

I have A Level Art. If there is one thing I've learnt, it's that it's better to have good constructive critisism rather than hearing... 'oh it's excellent' all the time. I'd much rather someone was truthful with me, because that is the only way we ever improve.

He posted his picture here to hear feedback, and that is what I'm giving him. I feel a lot of people are not honest when giving people feedback. I'm always honest.

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I want as much constructive criticism as possible, and I'd prefer people to be entirely honest. although perfection is an unobtainable goal (simply because an artist is never happy with their work), I try my best to strive for it. I've got a way to go yet, and for anyone afraid to hurt my feelings...don't be. That sketch still needs work. :)

I agree that the hair needs some work to tidy it up, and her features need a little tweaking to make her more attractive. The roof and balcony also need work.

Originally posted by Katarn07

How do you do that? I can do the outline, but not the shading. What does one use for that.

Well, I've answered your PM on this...but for anyone else interested...

I used a standard A4 sketch pad, and 3 Staedtler Tradition pencils, graded F, 2B and 4B. I started with F (the harder grade), to sketch the outlines lightly, the 2B for standard shading and the 4B for darker areas.

Shading is all about determining the key light sources. Without light, we wouldn't be able to see a thing...so pinpointing the light source is immensely important. Obviously anything facing the light will be brighter, and it will be darker on the side facing away. In this scene I mainly focused on the lightsaber as the light source...and I really need to take into more consideration the hole in the roof, and the blaster bolt going over the Rodian's head. Basically, anything that obstructs the light will cast a shadow...softer shadows for more ambient lighting, and harder shadows for brighter light sources.

Anyway...you're right about the scene in MotS, Katar07. ;) It was originally going to be a cantina, but I decided to go for the scene where Mara 'drops in' on the Hutt. ;) All I need to do now is grab a screenie to get the necessary details for the background.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I appreciate it. :)

Excellent. My only critic would be her nose and eyes...they could be more feminine.

Personnaly i like constructive critisism, when i create my 3D models i think its very important to have feedback. Sometimes people can point out details that i missed and it makes a big difference in the end.

Amazing piece of work you got there, cant wait to see the final product!.

I copied your drawing all free hand, with a few minor (well, all except for one change) changes.

The main change is I made the person on the table Kyle with his saber aglow, only the blade is over his head instead of the other way.

The blaster on the bottom left is a DL-44 without a scope, I am still giving it a personalized touch, maybe some weathering on the muzzle...

The room looks a bit different. I intend to add some neon lighting for Miller Lite (in the SW alphabet of course!), add a few booths below the balcony, and add a droid scanner to the doorway (which is not the arch-like one you made, I made it a bit different, not sure how to describe it)

Both the Rodian and the Gran are there, but I intend to add a few attackers in the balcony, such as adding a blaster to the Ithorian and putting a Trandoshan where that shadow is on yours. Also, I changed the Rodian's outfit to the classic Greedo orange vest and jumpsuit, and the Gran is wearing what they do in JK and JO (Ree Yees outfit).

I am unsure of what to put on the table. I got a Corellian Ale bottle replacing your glass (will add Miller Lite on the label), may or may not add the cards, and if I do, will be sure to put some poker chips flying away with the rest of the table.

This is by far my best work for a Kyle picture. I plan on somehow getting it scanned and sending it to Acke with the proper note saying:

Although this picture was drawn completely free hand and not traced, the action pose of Kyle's and scene were inspired by Rob 'Stormhammer' Bowen's (hyperlinked) untitled sketch.

Thanks for getting me to draw again Stormy! Last picture I drew was weeks ago, and because of my friend, ended up in the trash because I erased his head about a half a million times...

*** I am printing that sketch so I don't have to sit here and do it... Also, you can see I am not that great of an artist since I have to copy someone else's work... :( Also, I have no clue where to shade despite your tips about the lightsaber. I'll run off some copies before coloring it and shading it. I don't do backgrounds well, just people. Aliens are easier than humans, too... Also, I got a tip for Mara. She looks cross eyed and her face is to bony. I think that is it. Might be wrong... :confused:

Originally posted by wassup

Very nice overall. But you gotta fix her nose...the nostrils are way too big. :D Oh and her hair, make her hair more flowing and fuller.

Nah...I don't think the nostrils are too big...I over-shaded the tip of her nose so it looks wrong. Well spotted. ;)

Katarn07...glad to be of help. ;) Was your friend being overly critical? Rule number one when writing/drawing...I never ask close friends or family members, because I usually find they're biased or just plain mean. I'd rather ask the level-headed people on these forums...

Oh...and you need to get a scanner - or borrow one. I'd like to see your work. :)

de.Legion...yes, I can see that the hand holding the lightsaber is a little too large and over-defined. *scribbles another entry on to-do list*. Thanks. ;)

Here it is. My little sister sat on it, so I intend to restart it. Since I will restart it, give me all the critism you want so I know what to correct. It is unfinished, like his belt, left hand, saber hilt, Trandoshan in balcony, Rodian, Gran, table needs something added to it, etc.

site1068.jpg

Here is a year old picture I dug outta a folder of my art work. I'd show it all to you guys, but I ran outta webspace due to my massive SW collection!!! Anyhow, here's Luke. I am not correcting anything, I am very pleased with this one, not that I don't have some better ones in that folder...

site1066.jpg

You've got some nice work there, Katarn07. :thumbsup:

I especially like the picture of Luke...nice level of detail, and it's all in proportion. :) The face does need a little work. Here's an idea if you want to explore shading on your existing sketches...scan-&-print or photocopy them, and try shading the copies. That way, if you make a mistake, you leave the original untouched. ;) The other advantage of doing this is that you can explore shading from different light sources coming at different angles on the same character.

Good attempt on the Kyle pic, too. His head needs to be slightly larger, and you can fill out his chest a bit more, while slimming his waist. Be sure to let us all know when you've finished it. :cool:

Archived