Home

hey What kind of names would be good

forgottendeath

Well, mister Unknown_warrior, what do I think of your name? Nothing, since you didn't specify for what use. You see, names are like tags. It's the inital thing people define you with, especially in situations where you have no appearance. What works and what doesn't work is highly up to what situation you are in. Some names always work, but are therefore not as thrilling. Like Bob Smith. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with the name Bob, just saying that Han Solo would have to work hard to earn his reputation if that was his name. If we flip the coin, it'll propably be easier to get an office job if your name is Bob Smith than if it's Han Solo. Some names always works, but other names are restricted to specific arenas.

So, basically, this discussion has been about two kinds of names: names for the forums, and names for SWG.

First, the forum names. Here we are used to some pretty weird names, everything from actual RL names to items, activities, and general mystery. Simply put, everything that isn't immediately repulsive works, and original names are often rewarded with people being more curious about you.

In SWG though, there's a whole new thing that influences everything: continuity. People don't like running across avatars called "Barbara Stevenson", because they are not used to SW characters called that. 'Non-starwarsy' names reminds the players of the real life, and therefore, it hinders the illusion of SWG actually being "living in Star Wars". So, the best thing if you respect the other players (and for your own enjoyment) is to think up a name that fits the continuity. Wookies are called things like Churaaak, not Phil, for instance. Compare your made up names with actual Star Wars names, and after a while, you'll recognize which names "sounds like star wars" and which doesn't.

If you are interested in more RL related thoughts of the impact of names, do ask. It's always fun to actually get use of those university classes. ;)

well.. my forum name is a long story...

i joined on 20 September 2001 on the Rogue Squadron forums.

under the name of Wraith 5.

3 months before i joined i read the Wraith Squadron X-wing books. I thought Kell Tainer was pretty cool.

on the 18th of October 2001, i joined at Galactic battles.com. (yes my current join date) But again.. some guy had the name Wraith 5.. so again i registered under Wraith 9. (BTW.. it was the same guy from XWA that had Wraith 5 there ).

About a week after that i joined at X-wing Alliance.net...

back then the Lucasforums did not excist yet.. and all the forums that are now under the LF were seperate forums. so i had to register again... but because there already was a guy named Wraith 5, i had to register inder a different name... i went with my second favorite character... Garik Loran. Wraith 9. (note: yes i made a mistake back then :p)

Then in December.....

I had 300 posts on GB

16 posts on XWA

and 680 on RSN

The merger happened.... and it seemed i coulndt acces my Wraith 5 account on RSN.... but becuase all forums merged into the LF... all names merged into one database..... so the one who had a name first.. gets the name..... and because the other Wraith 5 joined sooner on XWA.. he gets the name.... so i was stuck with my Wraith 9 account from GB .....

because i had 680 posts on RSN back then.. i asked if i could get my posts back. so the got rid of all the extra Wraith 5 and Wraoth 9 accounts and restored all my posts.. and i got 996 posts when the forums were merged....

then after a month or 2 i realize i have the wrong call sign and i get it changed ....

Thats my story of my forum name :p

and my ingame name.. i just made up.. and it is starwarsy :p

Originally posted by setsuko

Well, firstly, make the name look like a name. Sounds obvious, but it deserves an extra consideration. I'll never respect someone who's name is "Eveil Budasss", simple as that.

Pairing an initial name with a last name that isn't a proper name works sometimes, though. Rithak Keenclaw could work for a trandoshan, etc.

And... well... Kull is very close to the f-word in swedish. So I would never take a character called that serious, either. But that's a totally different thing. ;)

jesus setsuko i hadnt even thaught of that till you brought it up ...... maybe its because i even think in english half of the time nowadays but still

swediot: It's propably because you don't spend enough time with swedish 20 year olds, so you don't a proportional amount of lingo and cusswords! :)

EDIT: oh, and on a more PG level, 'Kull' is also the name for the game you yankees propably knows as 'tags'. So I don't really associate the word with barbarians, fantasy and big swords, I associate it with my work as a kindergarten teacher. ;)

more on names

i like dume or usely names for chats or message boards

In game i go with the flow in learn what others like

so in game i would realy go kull just was useing that as a example but here is one i was thinking about for a trandris o i can't spell the lizard poeple :)

I was going to use shade cuse shade is a something that is nothing but is allways there hint like me never to bold but allways pointing out something

Or darkness one of my more well know names in the M.U.D world

( what you see when you see nothing at all) a riddle that the answer is darkness I like that hu

Kinda of like my lost but not forgotten most don't know what that means well it goes with my name can you get it ? :) good luck its a harder riddle

:guard::snow::trooper: faceless yet you know

Well...here's a system that some people like:

Sample person's real name: David Peabody

(i dont know where that came from, just popped into my head)

You take the first three letters of you last name (Pea)

and put with the first two letters of your first name (Da)

New SWG first name = DaPea/Dapea/Da'Pea etc. etc.

THEN

You take the first three letters of your mothers maiden name

and put them with the first two letters of the city where you were born.

Tadaa.

Of course some people just mix up random names from various sources. My name is a mix of names from Star Wars, Star Wars books and Dune

Darth7384 Sound's ok i think you can use any name well ill be using ReAPeR it sound's ok and it isn't that bad.

And BobaFettWp in the future try to use the edit button located in the right bottom corner of your post.As it's actually agaist the Forum rule's to double post but just try to use edit button in future

:)

(Just a friendly suggestion hope you won't get offended)

I tend to go through ancient language dictionaries and find words with meanings that relate to the type of character I decide to create.

The name I am using here is a name I created while playing a MUD based loosely on Ancient Rome. The character was a thief with an attitude and I wanted something that described this without being too obvious. Using an online Latin-English translator I came up with Volaticus Baru:

Volaticus - winged, flying/inconstant, unreliable/flighty

Baru (from barbarus) - barbarian/foreigner/rude, uncouth, rough, savage

It had a flow to it that I liked, a sort of musical sound. Those are the kinds of things I look for when creating a character. That, and being appropriate to the gameworld I am playing in.

I believe a name goes a long way in the development of one's character and also plays a large part in how others perceive you. But that's just my feelings... :)

Archived