Home

Half Life 2 COVER ART!

Bob Gnarly

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

JUNE 2003 edition?

hmmm...strange.

Just to let you know, PCGamer's labels on their magazines are a month into the future than the time they are shipped. So for example, June 2003 issue is shipped in May.

I am at a loss of words now...I will be back...I hope...*goes back to staring and :eek:

Originally posted by Lunatic Jedi

Actually, I believe Gordon's pansyness is what makes him such an endearing character. He's a personality that people can relate to: your run-of-the-mill lab geek turned-alien-killer/world-saver. He doesn't use berserk strength or huge weapons. He goes by his wits, utilizing whatever he can to tear aliens up.

He's a character whom the average person can relate to, and that's why he's such a popular video game personality.

I dunno, man... those were some pretty big guns I had him throwin around in Half-Life. (That laser guided missile launcher was incredible)

His personality really wasnt actually detailed at all. Some people spoke to him, and you got the impression that he was a technician. But keep in mind he was basically the "grunt" of the science lab. That meaning, he was the one that went in and got his hands dirty. I always had an image of him as the tough, slightly fearless geek...

Whatever. I guess people form their own perceptions of him.

I like the way they made most of the characters. Mostly Barney. He really captures the look of a cop down on his luck :)

The suit guy looks like a mike of Frankenstein and that in X-Files (the guy who replaces Mulder)

And from what i hear this games sound amazing in multiplayer.

------

as for the gordon freeman and the "issue" of how he looks and his "character/personality". who cares. He's multi purpouse. He appeals to different people in a different way.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

*SCREAMS WITH EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!* AAAAAAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAA!AAAAAAAAAAAA!

Let me finish thatfor you.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half-Life= best game of all time

Originally posted by Captain wing

*sniff sniff* My computer won't be able to play it.. :mad::(:mad::(

Then it's good then, that you'll have several years to upgrade it, before it's finally shipped.

You have no idea how much Halflife was delayed, because they "just wanted to correct a few bugs". Granted, the end result was a near-flawless game, but it also goes to show that the release dates given officially are about as probable as the Iraqi Information Minister actually being objective.

Half Life, how many times have I gone through that game over and over and over and over? And then Opposing Forces, and then Blue Shift. Now Half Life 2 comes along, yahoo! But wait AAH! ..... I won't be able to play it due to the current machine I own, which I lovingly call "piece of junk":indif:

My machine won't be the problem hehe :D HL2 is going to rock!! The screens look really great, unfortunately I didn't see any GOOD screens so far, only very blurry ones.

And it's going to be released on september 30, even better! It's great, first JA, then HL2 :D I'm waiting desperately for my PC Zone (Dutch version), which should come today...

I've read the PCZone (UK) preview, and if you can get past the journalist's incessant drooling, there's a lot of great information in there. I might attempt a summary later on, but considering there are 11 pages making up the article (there are some pretty large graphics taking up a lot of room, mind you), it could take a while.

Basically, they've been working on it since 1998 (since after Half-Life was originally shipped), and they've built an engine from scratch, which is called the Source engine. It's very mod friendly (they designed it specifically with that in mind), while also being very powerful. They've concentrated a lot of resources on making believable in-game characters (the models are about 5000 polys), with proper lip-synching, facial and body animation. You still play Gordon Freeman - but this time not in Black Mesa (hooray!), and it looks like you get a sidekick for at least part of the game. The story is still pretty heavily under wraps, but you do get to encounter some of the enemies from Half Life, along with lots of others (50 in total). They reckon the SP game should last about 40 hours, and the whole thing is a lot bigger than the original. They've built on the Havok physics system, and the lighting looks nice in the screenies too.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's so much more...

Archived