Home

Are we FORCED to use the saber staff?

Toa Tahu

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the way they said it,it sounded like,"You will be given the opportunity to use the saber staff..."

It really sounded like you're forced to use it when it comes.Or at least,when it comes,you'll be forced to use it like how guns are useless against Jedi(try using a conc to any of the Jedi's in JK and see!)

Personally, I am interested in trying out the dual handed sabers and 'light staff', but would prefer to stay single saber. It really depends on what advantages / disadvantages there are to each. I don't see it much different from the stances, where there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and so long as there is balance in what each saber gives you, it should be more interesting to play. For instance, if they made it so the lightstaff had 'blue stance' blocking abilities front and back, and powerful swings front and back, and kicking ... it would be nearly impossible to balance. But perhaps with a single saber you could perform force powers which still blocking with the saber, or something. They just need to find a way to balance the offence, defense, acrobatics and force power abilities of the three potential types.

I would actually like to see you limited to what you carry in terms of sabers as well as guns. For instance, carrying the lightstaff means no 'regular saber', or two sabers cuts out a gun, or something like that.

Mike

No offense,terror,but I remember saying,"...are given the opportunity...",and that suggests that it is indeed 'a treasured' option,and since it's treasured,we MIGHT have to be forced into using it.

No offense,just suggesting.Anyway,what would we do if we were(please,no) forced to do so?

If we were forced? Well I'd ask another apprentice at the academy to slice the thing in half, give the other half to Luke so that the next fresh student to the academy has a freshly sliced saber to start with and I can go back to using a single saber of sorts XD and if no helpfull apprentices are available I'd break it on my knee or against a corner of the very solid temple walls or something. ^_^

As long as I can stick with my single blade, I'll be happy. And I suspect that this will be the case.

The only fear that I have is that the single blade will be less powerful than the other styles.

Originally posted by Prime

As long as I can stick with my single blade, I'll be happy. And I suspect that this will be the case.

The only fear that I have is that the single blade will be less powerful than the other styles.

From what I've read, they (Raven & LEC) are very sensitive to the balance issues people were concerned about from JKII. I suspect that while they may feel that most will want to 'have a go' with two sabers or the saber staff, they will realize that others will want to do the whole game with a single saber. Just as 'real' jedi use a variety of saber blades, styles and force powers.

Should be interesting to see - I think we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Mike

actually both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon did do fine against him on their own, untill Maul decided to play dirty =p whopping someone in the face with your hilt and then stabbing them during that moment where they're stunned isn't exactly honorable combat, nor is pushing someone down a deep pit and then kicking his saber over the edge. But pointing being they both did very well holding off two blades with just one of their own.

Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

actually both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon did do fine against him on their own, untill Maul decided to play dirty =p whopping someone in the face with your hilt and then stabbing them during that moment where they're stunned isn't exactly honorable combat, nor is pushing someone down a deep pit and then kicking his saber over the edge. But pointing being they both did very well holding off two blades with just one of their own.

Personally, I found that in that battle sequence the difference was that the Jedi were trained to fight 'honorably' and Maul was trained to win. Qui-Gon was matching him, albeit defensively, until he tired. Obi-Wan had the advantage, but failed to forsee Maul's Force Push level 3 out of the saber lock ;) Seriously, Star Wars Insider did a thing about the '7 forms', and described Maul as a type 7, combining strength and speed.

So it is the Jedi, not the saber ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Personally, I found that in that battle sequence the difference was that the Jedi were trained to fight 'honorably' and Maul was trained to win. Qui-Gon was matching him, albeit defensively, until he tired. Obi-Wan had the advantage, but failed to forsee Maul's Force Push level 3 out of the saber lock ;) Seriously, Star Wars Insider did a thing about the '7 forms', and described Maul as a type 7, combining strength and speed.

Mike

i agree completely

Originally posted by PromoSidone

Prime, nor Obi and Qui could not defeat maul alone, because he had a staff saber.. i think they will make the staff saber more powerfull than the normal one.... it makes sense dont u think?

I really hate arguments based on the movies. This is a game and if a game has 7 different totally unbalanced saber styles along with 16 equally unbalanced sabers, all we got is ONE style and ONE kind of saber. The rest is obsolete.

A crappy, unbalanced game is a crappy, unbalanced game even though Lord Vaderz really did block a blaster shot with his hand in Teh Movie(!!1).

Balance is something that makes or breaks a game. I couldn't care less whether or not Obi or Yoda or Master Skywalker could beat Maul.

(Besides, Obi *did* beat Maul.)

Originally posted by txa1265

Mike

I also agree. Qui-Gon and Obi-wan lived in a time where the Galaxy was at relative peace, and spent much of their time doing non-combat related activies, such as diplomacy. Darth Maul, on the other hand, spent his entire life being trained to be a fighting machine.

So I think that Maul's talents in combat, not the fact he used a double-bladed lightsaber, were responsible for his effectiveness.

Regardless, a padawan learner with a single lightsaber gave him all he could handle :)

Archived