Home

What kind of computer are you gonna use?

Goose_Of_Mercy

My two year old computer, so I'll have to get a new processor, since 800 mHz is a bit lower than the minimum. But the rest of the hardware should run it pretty ok, after all, I put in some 380 mb RAM in it, and the RADEON 64 mb card will handle the graphics well enough for me. Should do for now.

Originally posted by Kaiser Isaac

A bran new one..........But i only have geforce 2 vid card so i might upgrade it........ I think i got ripped off i boght a bran new comp that cost over 1,000 dollars and it only had geforce 2......:mad:

Well, the other specs might make up for it, but I doubt it. You should have a talk with him =).

GeForce 3, DDR 256mb 2100 RAM, Athlon XP 1800. It's nice... Not the best, but it will do.

A bran new one..........But i only have geforce 2 vid card so i might upgrade it........ I think i got ripped off i boght a bran new comp that cost over 1,000 dollars and it only had geforce 2......:mad:

ouch...one reason I save up enough money to ONLY buy alienware comps.

athlon xp 2200 (1.8ghz)

768 mb ddr 400 ram

radeon 9700 pro

i should run it fine...i hope.

imo, u can build the same computers that alienware makes, just without the insane price.

besides, building your own computer gives you a sense of satisfaction when it all works. (maybe its just me?)

I have just got a new computer...I actually bought it for this game :D The specs are 2 Ghz Athlon Processor, 512 3200RAM, Highest Class GForce 4 (256 Graphics 256 RAM), 80 Gig WD Special Edition HD, 5.1 Creative Sound Card (oooh I can't wait for all the detailed sounds that they added).....I think that about covers it all, I am going to run off of a cable connection and I have a 15.9 inch viewable monitor. I think I will run the game a little bit above the median of the graphic capability and turn all of the shadows and environmental effects on.

Ok i wasnt being spacific befor....so i will be now....

512 MEG DDR PC 2100 RAM, UPGRADEABLE TO 3 GIG RAM,

MS-6590 KT 4 ULTRA 2 MOTHERBOARD

80 GIG 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE, USB 2.0

52X CD ROM DRIVE

48X12X48 CD-RW DRIVE

FLOPPY, SUPER MIDTOWER CASE 300W P/S

64 MEG GeFORCE 2 MX 440 VIDEO CARD

8738MX SOUND BLASTER COMPATIBLE 6 CHANNEL AUDIO

W/SPDIF OUT BUILT-IN,

ALTEC LANSING SUBWOOFER +2 SATELLITE SPEAKERS

56K BLASTER MODEM V.92, 1 MONTH INTERNET

OFFICE XP MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD, OPTICAL MOUSE

3 YEARS PARTS LIFETIME IN SHOP LABOR

Athlon 2200+ System

17inch monitor

Is it worth over $1,000?????

Ok, yeah, I would say that's worth it. You probably could have gotten it cheaper if you built it yourself, but...you know. Those CD drives and monitor are the most expensive part I think. A little advice for the future; when upgrading your PC (for games), the graphics, CPU, and RAM should be the most important. Everything else is just vanity IMO (I'm using my mom's HP monitor that came with her pavilion, a CD drive that has been in a fire, and the same modem I've been using since 1996 :)).

Ok i wasnt being spacific befor....so i will be now....

512 MEG DDR PC 2100 RAM, UPGRADEABLE TO 3 GIG RAM,

MS-6590 KT 4 ULTRA 2 MOTHERBOARD

80 GIG 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE, USB 2.0

52X CD ROM DRIVE

48X12X48 CD-RW DRIVE

FLOPPY, SUPER MIDTOWER CASE 300W P/S

64 MEG GeFORCE 2 MX 440 VIDEO CARD

8738MX SOUND BLASTER COMPATIBLE 6 CHANNEL AUDIO

W/SPDIF OUT BUILT-IN,

ALTEC LANSING SUBWOOFER +2 SATELLITE SPEAKERS

56K BLASTER MODEM V.92, 1 MONTH INTERNET

OFFICE XP MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD, OPTICAL MOUSE

3 YEARS PARTS LIFETIME IN SHOP LABOR

Athlon 2200+ System

17inch monitor

Is it worth over $1,000?????

ouch....

looks like a lil bit overpriced.

but judging by your knowledge of computers, that 3 years parts lifetime in shop labor matters.

http://www.pricewatch.com is a great place to get computer parts.

also:

your geforce mx may be VERY crappy to use for this game...

"mx" cards do not have hardware shaders and lighting and stuff.

i say upgrade to a geforce 4, they are quite cheaper than the radeon 9700s. or u can upgrade to the radeon 9500/9600 (around $150 price range).

the radeon 9500 is like the 9700, but clocked a little slower.

the radeon 9600 is similar to the 9700, but on a smaller process, therefore easier to overclock.

both support hardware T&L and those pixel shader stuff.

actually upgrading to any directx 9.0 video card would be better than "mx"

Originally posted by Jackrabbit

I'm using my mom's HP monitor that came with her pavilion, a CD drive that has been in a fire, and the same modem I've been using since 1996

lmao.

same here.

actually since i upgraded to dsl, i have left my modem in my desk drawer since 1996. also using my floppy drive from my old 386 computer. lol.

u never really leave your old computer behind...lol

Originally posted by sexxxy_mark

imo, u can build the same computers that alienware makes, just without the insane price.

besides, building your own computer gives you a sense of satisfaction when it all works. (maybe its just me?)

I don't need satisfaction...

Alienware comps are gods. I sacrifice a fatted calf or small child to mine every week.;)

as for the upgrade...go for it. Graphics Cards are easy to upgrade...GeForce 4s are lower in price now that the behemoth ATI cards came out...so grab something like a 4400 or 4600 GeForce card...or if you have the cash...go with the behemoth ATI Radeon™ 9800 Pro 256MB.

I'm about to build a new computer as well and i've been reading TONS of stuff. The place I go for all my hardware is http://www.newegg.com. I went there and got the prices for your rig Isaac...

512mb pc2100 RAM $62.00

MS-6590 KT 4 motherboard $104.00

80gb 7200rpm HDD OEM $76.00

52X CD ROM DRIVE $22.00

48X12X48 CD-RW DRIVE $40.00

Case w/ power supply $60.00

64mb GeFORCE 2 MX 440 $37.00

Sound (onboard) $0.00

Altec lansing 2.1 speakers $65.00

Athlon XP 2200+ $73.00

17" monitor $150.00

modem, keyboard, mouse, internet, tech support ~$250

total, including shipping in the US

$939

Thats saying that you are spending around $150 for those 3 years parts and labor...

I dunno, I would suggest anyone should try building their own computer time permitting. Its really not that hard at all and there are tons of articles online. You can save alot of money this way and get exactly what you want. :)

As for me, i'm building this :D :

p4 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB, 256x2 pc3200 RAM, 80gb 7200rpm HDD, 48x12x48 CDRW, 19" nec fp912sb monitor, hercules fortissimo III sound card, ati radeon 9700pro, klipsch pro media gmx d-5.1

all for $1601 from newegg.com ;)

Originally posted by setsuko

Funny thing is that even though i kept my old floppy drive when I built this computer, I have yet to use it a single time since then. And that is more than two years ago now. Oh well, I guess floppys are sooo 20th century! :D

LMFAO.

i've used it to transfer homework as a backup...but...LOL

i think its dusty inside. email is a good floppy disk.

Originally posted by darthfergie

I don't need satisfaction...

Alienware comps are gods. I sacrifice a fatted calf or small child to mine every week.;)

o man, im not saying they suck. heck, i'd love to have one. i like their new case designs.

i'd kill for one of those labtops tho.

gaming on the go.

Actualy Devlyyn Sarr the whole thing came to around $900+ but i hade my casing for everything made black......and the black casing cost over $300........but it wasnt my mony.......and i think the black looks cool anyway........well i am probably gonna upgrade to a g-force 4.......and i hope i do not lag on swg......all i worie about is 56k......:(

i am sad to say i won't be playing at release...........i despirately need to upgrade my comp...

i am to embarrassed to say what my comp is at now but i will say what i am getting :)

i am gonna pick up a pentium 4 3.6ghz, 512 ram, and a geforce 4

and possibly a new sound card but i think mine is fine but it might have been installed wrong

but o well i will be a happy gamer

i am surprised i have been able to play any games on this comp up to this point.....................i thought i had an awesome comp untill i heard the specs for swg

so so naive................

Originally posted by setsuko

Funny thing is that even though i kept my old floppy drive when I built this computer, I have yet to use it a single time since then. And that is more than two years ago now. Oh well, I guess floppys are sooo 20th century! :D

yeh i dont even have a floppy on my BRAND NEW COMPUTER WHICH I GOT YESTERDAY!!!!!!

its really sweet the deluxe tower case is black and glows blue where the dvd drive and cdr drives are and glows green at the back as well as one side is see through so you can see al the parts:D:D yes ladies and gentlemen style is everything:p

its cpu is AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ not the greatest but more then enough for me right?

im quite proud of my graphix card too

GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X, Leadtek

its a beast it runs really smooth :D not the best but again its good enough for me

with that theres things like 512 ram @ 333mghtz which i can easily add more.. im not gonna bother going into anymore detail but you get the general idea right?

I too am ashamed to mention the specs of my computer. It was good... like about 3 or 4 years ago. Computers get out of date so quickly... I can barely play any of my games at the moment. But anyway,

I think I might be getting a new computer soon. Pentium 4, 3gig+, not really sure, 512 ddr umm... not really sure about graphics card. To tell you the truth, I don't really know much about them, all I know is to get either a G-Force or a Radeon. But, I won't be playing swg until late november, or sometime around then and hopefully I'll have time to play.

Archived