Home

ed, zoom: message received

Ikhnaton

i'm on vacation so i don't have as much time on the puter as i normally do. i posted a thread in the admin forum to see what is going on. the intronet is too spotty here for me to do a detailed inspection of the Harbor. Hopefully i can find out what the story is.

Muchas gracias, mi amigo!

Sorry, I had no intent to spoil your vacation,.. and looking back at my PMs to you there might have been a bit of momentary-frustration-overreaction-venting-out in it.

But as it stands now, relations between our parties seem to have become a bit, shall we say, strained.

By the way: ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR VACATION! That's an order! :D

You deserve one! Have a good time,.. and bring back slides for us all to see! ;)

Cheers!

Ike is a friend, and an admin. I make no apologies for trying to find out more about the situation, and the official view from the top than I do already. As an admin I knew he could get that perspective far faster than I would ever be able to alone.

At the time I wrote my PM to Ike the mods at MI had been less than forthcoming about the intentions behind thier actions. I logged on yesterday to see most of the active threads there locked,.. and the few threads that were active seemed to be sarcastic and mocking of the situation.

(Personally, I feel that those mods should have dropped out of character to do official business, and leveled with the current users that big changes were being made, and why they felt it was nessisary. The attitude that comes across to me is that the moderation team there has almost total distain for the folks they are being required to moderate. This might just come down to differences in our individual senses of humor,.. but I think that to be an effective moderator you have to know when the situation calls for seriousness. I believe a sudden and total 180-degree change in official policies would qualify as one of those situations.)

At that time I was more than a bit frustrated the sudden and total crackdown on what those mods have chosen to define as "spam" there, and I have made no secret about my feeling that the way that has been chosen to "clean up the Harbor" is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I also included a bit about how if the administration team sided with the MI mods that I would let the whole thing drop, and never speak on it again.

That's why it was done via PM. If I had wanted to I could have gone straight to the Forums Feedback area and started a new thread, but I didn't feel that was warranted in this case.

*nods in agreement*

It's usually prudent to notify people before a change in policy, as not doing so tends to piss people off... Like when my cable ISP decided to move everyone's bandwidth cap to half what it was, and did it without telling anyone. They weren't legally required to notify us, but it pissed a lot of people off, and they lost a lot of customers to the local DSL service, since the lowered cap speeds were the same, and the DSL was $10.00 less (if you didn't have cable TV... and most here use satellite).

Other forums around here offer the same, or possibly better, product than this "new" Harbor, and without the (aparently) tight-ass moderating team. Migration will happen, and the Harbor will end up a ghost forum.

Constant bitching ain't a thing, the thing is, is that he went to that said forum to find a lot threads locked, unfairly at that. If it had been one thread or so things would be quite different I believe. The mods decided that they'd change their status on "spam threads" without anyone knowing. And since it's a community forum that really hampers on what you post.

Originally posted by Nitro

Other forums around here offer the same, or possibly better, product than this "new" Harbor, and without the (aparently) tight-ass moderating team. Migration will happen, and the Harbor will end up a ghost forum.

A "ghost" forum would be better than the festering pit of horrible that the Harbour has turned into. In case you're not aware, The Harbour that once was is now gone. The new Monkey Island forums (complete with asskicking template), are the product of merging three forums together: The Scumm Bar forums, The Brimstone Beach forums, and the EscapeMI forums.

Because the EscapeMI forums still had a couple of regular posters, they decided to keep "The Harbour" as the off-topic forum. As a result of this, the users who were regulars at The Scumm Bar boards (myself included), and the Brimstone Beach boards have been put off. Lots. This means no more nice threads, and lots more retarded posts in the main Monkey Island forums.

The original EscapeMI crowd have basically left entirely now, mainly due to the game being 3 years old and sub-par. This leaves RemiO (The ScummBar) and Mymipage (The Brimstone Beach Club, essentially a subsidiary of the Scumm Bar), with a set of forums that they're not happy with.

I think this gives Remi and the mods the right to fuck shit up, since they're doing it for the greater good. It's not really an issue that should concern admins that have absolutely nothing to do with this forum. As for other moderators popping in to offer their two cents, that's not needed either. The Scumm Bar has been around since '96, the Harbour since around '99/'00. I'm pretty sure the mods know what they're doing.

I can't speak for Zoom, but I never asked Ike to intervene... I was just looking for any info he could give.

At the time you had just locked everything down, without a hint as to why and what you were hoping to achieve.

I also don't believe I ever claimed they didn't have the right to take these actions... but I, for one, would have appriciated a warning and/ or an explanation before all the threads were locked.

I disagree with the way you are going about this,.. but whatever...

As I said somewhere else: It's your board,.. you are going to do with it as you wish.

Carl: Like Ed said...we were just trying to find out what was going on. ;)

Not posting anymore at MI is the option I'm taking (alothough I reserve the right to visit on occasion the friends I did make there.) The whole strong-arm, lock all the threads down moderation approach in unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. If one can call an unpaid job performance unprofessional, then that is the term I would apply to the Monkey Island moderation team. :mad:

I'll say what I'm thinking--they saw a bunch of new faces from the Star Wars forums sneaking in, and they cleaned up shop. Forums merging, quality of posts dropping, whatever...sour grapes, I call it.

If you guys really didn't like the quality of the topics in the Harbor...why didn't anyone say so? :dozey: that's why I'm not buying that explanation for the crackdown. It was politics.

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit

I'll say what I'm thinking--they saw a bunch of new faces from the Star Wars forums sneaking in, and they cleaned up shop. Forums merging, quality of posts dropping, whatever...sour grapes, I call it.

Just to let you know, the crappy posts I was referring to were not yours, which were actually fairly entertaining. :¬: It also doesn't have anything to with the "Joshi locks thread" shock horror dilemma - the mods weren't against you at all, they just had to respect Neil's decision. It wasn't fair to post that thread publically, it just encourages him to stick to his guns rather than facing the humiliation that comes with having to open it again.

I think there's already been a slightly positive change at the harbour anyway, and I don't think anybody is discouraging the appearance of Mega Max.

Scabb: we posted concurrently. ;) Anyway, the thread about my topic being closed was in the feedback forum, where it belongs. When folks post 'Why did you close my thread?' in the community or off-topic forum, that's when it's bad form. That was resolved well, I thought, re-opened and Neil willing to give it a chance. I understand that he's new at moderating...there were no hard feelings there.

Then two supermods swooped in and re-closed it, along with a number of other topics, without warning or explanation. That is unfair moderation, uncalled for...and yes, I resist it. :dozey:

As far as I'm concerned, my appeal and the closings the next day were separate events. Might not be how everyone sees it, but there we are.

Admiral: It was a baseball bat. I went for the 'hard kill.' ;)

As far as I see it, I have made my concerns public; and I believe I have made my points rationally and clearly for all to see,.. so I'm out for now.

I will return to the Harbor,.. but maybe not right away. Give it a while for the blood to cool down, and the hackles to relax on everybody's neck,.. firstly my own.

There are still issues to be resolved,.. and I do think of the issues surrounding this event as merely symptoms of a much larger situation I believe is brewing just beneath the surface...

But that's all I want to say about that at the moment.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

You don't like it, don't post there. I don't see what you expect to come from this constant bitching.

dude, why is it every time i see a post by you, it is just dripping with negativity?

as an admin, i'm partly responsible for the forums as a whole. I don't tell people how to run their boards, but if there is a problem, wherever it is, it's my job to see to it that it is resolved, either by me or the leaders of that particular forum.

If two respected members of my forums bring something like this to my attention, it deserves my taking a look at it to see what the problem is.

carl, why would you have a problem with me being concerned about it unless you think there is something i shouldn't see?

You don't like it, don't post there. I don't see what you expect to come from this constant bitching

Women who fought that whole Suffrage deal were also called whiny and bitchy. This isn't such a big deal, but by the same token just because a bunch of people are politely bringing forward a complaint doesn't mean they're whining and bitching. I don't exactly know if you're just sucking up or what, but I suggest you re-read what's been going on. There is no whining or bitching here.

FOR TOO long the mods/admins have been able to do pretty much anything they want, and the members can complain, but nothing gets done. The first step is to stop calling people with complaints "whiny" and actually deal with the problem, for a change.

When there is misunderstanding between the moderators and members of a forum, and the members seek to open a dialogue about it...the last thing they need is to be labeled as 'whiners' and ignored. It's only bound to produce conflict, as we've seen here. If the MI mods had let their intentions be known, none of this would have happened.

I'm in favor of improving that relationship. :max:

Archived