Home

How Myst - almost - killed traditional, classic adventures

Myst was revolutionary. It showed gamers that computer games didn't have to look like ass. Myst killed adventure games. Not only did it kill the genre, it gutted it and tossed its intestines around like confetti. Myst sold so many copies, other adventure game companies decided to copy it. Thus Myst clones were born and thus adventure games as a genre died.

Do you know any arcticles that treat this subjcect more precisly?

Edit: and I'm not talking about guts tossing...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "whole" thing you mentioned is just a news posted here .

I really didn't see any point in posting link since apart from the quote I posted here there was nothing relevant to the topic.

And the initial point of this topic is someone giving me links to articles about "myst killed adventures" not discussing the problem - at least not until I get my hands on fully shaped theory :)

I remeber someone on AG.com forum posted some links to such articles once and as I find this concept of "Myst killed adventures" intersting that's why I'm asking.

I don't like Myst (mostly hate it :p )

but Myst didn't kill adventures.

It just gave gamers another way to play adventures.

It's just a new way to play them....not abandoning the previous ways...

To say Myst killed adventures is like saying that...

Broken Sword 3 and 3D in adventures shall kill adventures :D

No, consumers killed the adventure. The main crowd of gamers go for action games like Half-Life, GTA, or RPGs and strategy games. People bought Myst because it looked cool at the time. Myst spawned many clones yes, but we still got many classic adventures during the past few years (MI3, Grim Fandango, GK3, TLJ) that have not sold well compared to their genre counterparts. It is easy to see that gamers, hardcore or mainstream, love games that give them variety (Half-Life, GTA, Warcraft, Morrowind, Everquest, The Sims, EA Sports games, FF games). All the popular games let the player play the game their own way. Adventures, because of their linear nature, will never be popular again in their classic form.

When you start thinking of a way to make adventure games more interactive, they start overlapping other genres anyway. The best you can hope for is action and roleplaying games adopting the storytelling from adventure games, not the other way around.

Originally posted by Wajus

Of course it didn't killed adventure games but it almost succeeded. Anyway they had to be resuscitated after Myst finished with them.

nope...absolutely don't agree....adventures never died and never have they reached their grave...

But that's an old subject, is it? :D

Meh, the main-stream standard just changed. If we're gonna blame Myst for how the casual gamer's mind works then we could just as well argue that Quake - almost - killed the traditional, classic adventures. The reason traditional adventures became less profitable, and thus less popular amongst publishers, is because it just wasn't mainstream to play them, cause the beautifully rendered 3D stills in Myst were more "pretty" or the real-time 3D of Quake was much more "advanced" according to your avarage Joe. It's the same reason the Playstation is doing so well. It's not hip to have a GameCube cause it isn't "mature" enough. And it's not cool to have an X-Box cause it's made by "bloodsucking Bill Gates and his Micro$ucks company".

The gaming-population is to blame here, not the games. The main-stream games simply follow the minds of the people.

Yes blame stupid human beings for adventure games failure. I think it's not that simple.

Myst succeeded because it was evolutionary at that time, it atracted gamers with superb graphics - just compare Myst to GK1 or Discworld 1. People lost interest in "pixel hunting" adventure games because Myst offered them something new. And because adventure games stopped offering new oportunities and new ways of story telling they became obsolete at that time. Both, in ways of technology and in concept.

Myst is petty repairman's wettest of dreams: you're in an abandoned dimension, fixing absurd machines - functions of which you cannot even guess - every one of those could be a toaster-elevator, or a nucular (sic) bomb - all the while the fate of the universe rests on yours shoulders, in a story that is next to nonexistent. Horrible.

Originally posted by tabacco

That'd be cool... a machine in some age somewhere that if you fix it blows you up and kills you ;)

KARALOL

the best end for a myst game....:D

just compare Myst to GK1

Yep, you are correct. I mean Gabriel Knight has far better grafics than Myst...:p

Originally posted by Wajus

Yes blame stupid human beings for adventure games failure. I think it's not that simple.

Myst succeeded because it was evolutionary at that time, it atracted gamers with superb graphics - just compare Myst to GK1 or Discworld 1. People lost interest in "pixel hunting" adventure games because Myst offered them something new. And because adventure games stopped offering new oportunities and new ways of story telling they became obsolete at that time. Both, in ways of technology and in concept.

Still don't see how Myst can be blamed for that. It's the way the market works. Genres that don't evolve, become less popular. Because, like you put it, people lose interest. If we're going to blame anyone, blame the people that lose interest in the genre. And when did I say they were stupid?!

I wouldn't say it was Myst itself that affected the genre... well, not directly. It was the hype that followed Myst. I think Myst was similar to Syberia in some ways -- it was the first adventure in a long time (ever?) to get so much mainstream attention. People who had never played a computer game (let alone an adventure) were hearing about it from the mainstream press and trying it out. Those who had never played an adventure game thought it was not only revolutionary, but that it was the be all and end all. With that amount of hype -- whether or not it was deserved -- there's nowhere to go but down.

When Syberia came out, I really worried that something similar would happen. I'm glad it hasn't (yet)... but not much time has passed. I do think it's dangerous for a game to get too much praise. It's like when a band has a really good debut record, and then their follow-up flops. They can't live up to the hype of the first one, and the band falls into obscurity. If you're Joe Average, and Syberia is the first adventure game you've heard of since Myst, of course you're going to think Myst and Syberia are the only two adventures ever made. And if whatever follows Syberia does not live up to the hype, it's easy to say "oh, the genre must be dead" and write it off. It'll maybe be another 10 years before a game gets so much hype that the mainstream, non-adventure-junky wants to try it out. But it's their loss! In general, my opinion is that people who say the genre is dead are missing out on a lot of great games... and I'm glad I know better.

:) emily

Also, very importantly, many of us here have forgotten the technicalities behind Myst's soaring popularity and hype. Myst was the game that convinced people to upgrade their computers, because it was the first game offered on cd-rom, a far deeper pocket for storage than floppies. It was originally intended for the Apple Macintosh, with the Miller brothers wanting to take advantage of that system's [at the time] superior graphics and memory capabilities. Once the mainstream got wind of this, Myst skyrocketed.

Not only did people realize it was possible for them to enjoy a staggeringly beautiful game on their home PCs, but they also knew that this opened up possibilities for interactive multimedia applications beyond games. Before Myst came out everyone was wondering whether it was worth it to spend a few hundred dollars more for a computer with a cd-rom drive, especially when they were highly dependent on floppies. Myst helped to save the cd-rom. In this sense, Myst has made you its bitch. Myst pwnz you, so don't be dissing it! :p

Archived