Home

Honor and jedi academy?

Tarus

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's how I look at it. In order to keep flames and arguments to a minimum, each side of the argument should probably compromise a little bit. If someone bows to you and you think it's stupid (and for the record, I think it's extremely stupid) just go ahead and do it and get it over with, if you think they'll just start a flurry of whining. It is really easy this time around since there is a programmed animation you can just bind whatever key you like to in order to do it.

On the flip side, if you're big into this 'honor' thing and bow to someone and they don't bow back, shut up. Keep your mouth shut. Don't start up with this "OMG You're supposed to bow" bullsh!t because no one is 'supposed' to do anything - and you are just wasting your own and everybody else who is waiting in line to duel's time by arguing about it on the server. This idea that we "should" show a little respect is a joke. When's the last time you played Quake 3 or Counter Strike or something and someone stopped before they fragged you to bow. And no, the dynamics of the game are not different, don't even start that crap. If you disagree, just keep telling yourself whatever you want, but DON'T start telling everyone else.

Think of it like religion. You can believe whatever you want, but you're going to catch hell (no matter what side you're on) if you try to push it on someone else. But it's not religion, it is a game; this really shouldn't be this big of a deal, so just roll with the punches and keep playing. Being a good natured, understanding player who is flexible is the best way to truly show respect.

Originally posted by Mith[OmNi]

Then you'll get kicked for laming. I haven't been on a serious server where rushing your opponent and killing them while they are bowing was acceptable.

In other words: you haven't been on a serious server, ever. You have only played with people who follow dumb rules and kick people for laming.

*Kick people for laming*. Think about that for a sec. What the hell is "laming"? And who makes that decision? You?

Example: You bow to me. I happen to think that bowing is an insult. I think crouching & looking down is lame. I call you a faggot and start a kick vote to get you off the server or run to an admin screaming "Mith laaameed meee! Ban him!"

>> You get kicked.

So how do you feel now? Confused? Are you thinking "what kind of BS rule was that?! I can't bow when I want to without being kicked!?!? Ridiculous!"

See the problem? Would you want ME to go on to every server and enforce MY rules (bowing is laming)? That would be fun, eh? Think of all the whining and crap I could start with that? I'd yell "LAAMER LAMER LAMMERR" 24/7 for as long as it takes that everyone alters their way of playing. >> No-one dares to bow anymore, because they know some idiot is ready to kick-vote them off if that happens.

The result? The result is that I am happy and I can play a totally Cool Star Wars HONOURABLE Jedio game that's just-like-teh-moviez where no-one ever bows.

Or maybe I should just STFU and play the game the way I want to without silly bowing and let others play the way they want?

bowing isn't a big thing by itself, but its the root of this rpg nonsense. first theres bowing then there saber down then theres no fighting on ffa's or using guns in a guns server then there is no violence allowed and then you have to do good deeds to the elderly in servers.

you think i'm joking but i'm really not

Then you'll get kicked for laming. I haven't been on a serious server where rushing your opponent and killing them while they are bowing was acceptable.

Then you obviously have never left your little "perfect world." Get out from under the rock you are hiding under and realize that in the clan scene, there isn't any of this honor bull**** and its a straight out Jedi symphonic asswhomp fest.

You want to see a serious server? grendel's ffa server (64.246.59.197:28070).

No not really, here is what would (and does still to this day) happen:

I "lame" some RPG noob.

RPG noob: "LAMER"

me: stfu

RPG noob: "everyone hunt the lamer"

RPG noob #2 "yeah let's get that lamer"

RPG noob #3 "press K and duel me you ****y"

The Lamer hunt begins! <insert duel of the fates music here>

"RPG noob was sabered by me"

"RPG noob #2 was annihilated by me"

"RPG noob #3 received a kick to the face by me"

RPG noob "****ing scripter"

RPG noob #2 "****y *** force whore I bet he has no saber skill"

RPG noob #3 "press k and duel me you ****y"

"RPG noob was sabered by me"

"RPG noob #2 was annihilated by me"

RPG noob "this is bull**** I'm getting an admin"

RPG noob #2 "yeah ***got when he gets here you're going to get banned"

RPG noob # 3 "****ING MOTHER****** DUEL ME!!11111"

/me disconnects and happy to know another pack or RPG noobs have been frustrated to the brink of a mental melt down over a silly video game.

:cool:

oh and as for the “serious server” comment.

Like the others said, if your idea of “serious” servers are only the little saber off = peace isolated RPG play grounds then I feel sorry for you.

There is a whole great big world out there full of servers (or was in jk2 for quite a while) where people connect and….. just kill each other in a rabid frenzy all trying to win the map/round/match.

And *gasp there are also servers (look at the three in my sig) where people who’s *only interest is in *competitive play go to compete with each other.

We don’t bow, we don’t role play, and we don’t spend 30 minutes /amsitting on the “pad” debating the latest version of the newest yoda skin.

We play.

And yes, we (I’m speaking about competitive players in general, not one clan/player) are much, much better players than everyone else *solely because of that.

I'm talking about NF Duel servers moron. In FFA I couldn't care less if people bow or not.

Moron? Very un honorable and un Jedi like...

But then again as we've proven so many times, the newbies who cry about honor are the most hypocritical obnoxious players in the game.

Thanks for proving once again this remains true.

That *tongue in check example is what you would call… um an example.

Actually I mentioned “all trying to win the map/round/match” so as to show you we non role playing newbies actually play all game types.

We all know the silly little RPG newbies infest all game types, especially NF dueling. You don’t need to remind us of that.

And yes, there are plenty of NF duelers who play only for the competitive draw of the game.

And yes, they think the silly little RPG saber rules the newbies follow are… well silly.

Roleplaying? Who said anything about Roleplaying? Rushing your opponent when he has a chat sign above his head at the beginning of the duel is a sad way to win. Its not about "honor", its about respect. Respect for your opponent. :cool:

When I kill someone in a duel, I want them to be able to say: "Wow, he has great skills" not "He rushed-killed me while I was trying to ask him a question".

If an opponent runs at me swinging his saber without bowing, I don't bow to him and then whine about it... I automatically assume he's never played before, and I'm always right.

Roleplaying? Who said anything about Roleplaying? Rushing your opponent when he has a chat sign above his head at the beginning of the duel is a sad way to win. Its not about "honor", its about respect. Respect for your opponent. :cool:

When I kill someone in a duel, I want them to be able to say: "Wow, he has great skills" not "He rushed-killed me while I was trying to ask him a question".

If an opponent runs at me swinging his saber without bowing, I don't bow to him and then whine about it... I automatically assume he's never played before, and I'm always right.

I agree. I don't like cheap kills, I like showing everyone in FFA servers that I'm skilled (in duels) and I don't have to be dishonorable yet I can still be competitive and win the round, which I do quite often.

They don't seem to be able to comprehend that it has nothing to do with RP, just respect. As I've told them, I don't watch Star Wars so it must not be that huh? What's your excuse now?

EDITED: For clarity

What I mean is that the same rules for Duel servers apply for dueling in FFA's, in my opinion at least. What's the difference? I also meant that he shouldn't force things on people (RPers, not me) and then expect them not to force things on him.

I found your last paragraph to be quite difficult to understand.

On FFA servers anyone and everyone you can see is fair game. Thats just a fact. FFA is about how fast you can kill, and anyone who bows or who cries because they got killed saber down is only kidding themselves.

Howevever, I find that "FK| Unnamed"s attitude that all people who bow are RPG players and the scum of humanity to be quite insulting.

On Duel servers, all bowing is a sign that says: "Yes I'm ready. Bring it" You shouldn't attack unless your opponent attacks you, or gives some indication that he's prepared. I ALWAYS bow to my opponent.

they are not forcing you to not bow, they just don't want waste time showing "respect". its annoying just like saying "I HAVE ENJOYED THIS ENCOUNTER MASTER JEDI AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT. UNTIL THEN I WILL STRIVE TO FOLLOW THE PATH OF RESPECT AND JEDI ESSENTIALNESS" after ever kill

You still don't understand do you? I'm not speaking for anyone else here.. but that's not what bowing is for. Just to indicate that you're ready, that's all.

To make things clear, for the last time.

I DO NOT like Star Wars!

I bow to show respect, so I know I'll get a fair fight in duels. I don't feel like a Jedi when I bow, I don't see the connection. You don't seem like you're able to understand that.

EDIT:

It's not like saying all that garbage, because first of all, it takes half a second to press the "C" button, and secondly because it's not meant to be like that.

i understand. for the first like 9 months of JO i did saber only and i bowed and all that stuff. after a while i realized bowing was kinda dumb and i preceded to nodding and eventually i didn't do anything exept fight. now i'm a gunner and obviously bowing is out of the question.

my beef is now with the retards that join gunning servers and call you a lammer for using guns or saber down killing.

also understand that starwars doesn't have anything to do with this respect/bowing so quit whining about how you haven't watched the movies.

Never said bowers are scum, well maybe I did somewhere but not recently...

;)

Serious though "respect" is kind of a silly thing to try to show via "crouch my reborn/boss model and look at the floor" don't you think?

How I show respect for players:

I don't insult them *just because they beat me <omg you ****ing lamer/force whore/kick lamer **ggot/fill in w/e here>.

I don't <sleep/slap/choke/fill in stupid admin mod punishment crap here> players on our servers *just because the guy logged onto a server and started...playing.

Server has rules?

Fine.

Ever tried “hey Padawan please don’t do that?”

No of course not, most of you were to busy power tripping over sleeping players like some kind of uber virtual e-GOD.

Bottom line is, I "respect" people who *don't try to impose their will upon others.

You want to bow?

Great.

I don't.

I would *never kick you off any of our servers for bowing. Granted I'm still going to attack you but I'm not going to make you stop bowing if you don't want to stop.

Would you kick me off yours for attacking when you bowed?

Of course you would.

Why?

Because for *you for to have fun, we all have to conform to your little self centered, self absorbed way of playing right?

That argument, the imposition of a persons will upon others is the very reason why that whole *ASC* thing got started.

It really had nothing to do with "honor" and the likes. It was all just a tongue & cheek joke poking fun at how idiotic and asinine people who *were trying to enforce their will upon other players were acting.

Just don't kill people when they're trying to bow to you.

Thank for validating yet another point I made about the imposition of will upon other players.

If I were you I would just stop replying to this. First the "moron" comment then this gem. All you are doing is sticking your proverbial foot in your mouth sir.

:cool:

I don't understand how you find people showing respect to be insulting or silly.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Thank for validating yet another point I made about the imposition of will upon other players.

Sorry, but unnamed hit the nail on the head here. Mith you say it's "showing respect", but who are you to say that? If someone else disagrees, are you saying they're wrong? You can view as it you will, others will see it as a waste of time and impractical. Nobody can be the arbitrary authority on the issue, but everybody can be respectful enough to not try to tell someone else the "way it should be". As far as killing someone who is trying to bow to me, well I wouldn't do that myself, but on the same token, don't bitch about it if it happens. It won't change a thing. Just keep the big picture in mind and go on. In essence, agre to disagree and don't get worked up about it.

Archived