Home

Honor and jedi academy?

Tarus

To clear things up:

By "noob" we don't refer to people who are new to the game. Noob means something entirely different. It refers to idiots who yell "CHEATERLAMER!!!1" if you grip-kick them. People who kick vote you off the server for "laming" when you use guns (guns = lamorz). People who suddenly turn off their saber when you're in mid-air DFA'ing and then run to the admin telling him to ban you for being dishonourable. People who abuse admin powers whenever someone does something "lame" like beats the crap out of Mr. Admin or uses a move/combo/power/gun in a way that Mr. Admin doesn't approve of.

Nobody (well, almost) complains about RPG-people on their isolated RPG-servers. It's just that EVERY ffa-server is filled with idiots who (god-knows-why) assumes that everyone else must live by their Code. On top of enforcing their stupid Honour Codes they also seem to be hypocrites. The second someone is labeled "lamer" (f.ex. if he kicks someone to death) everything goes. Suddenly all Honour is set aside and it's perfectly fine to empower yourself and grip the "lamer" to death then put him to sleep and go stand next to his helpless body and tell him just how "noob" he is.

Or perhaps Mr. Honourable Jedi'o just feels like fooling around...which means he can do all kinds of "lameing" but OMG if someone even looks at him the in the wrong dishonourable way... :rolleyes:

That's what I'm complaining about. That's what must not become of JA. I'm sure you see my point.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So noob is nothing but a normal curse now? Or how do you call it? It's just namecalling now? You say that you hate ppl who call you lamer, but you call them noob too! Even if they aren't a real newbie!

So why don't you just call them RPers or whiners or something? The use of the word noob can be pretty confusing :) In any way, you shouldn't just fight here with GC256, since I think he's not the kind of "noob" you are referring to...

Like I said, I really don't support the Honor Code. But I certainly HAVE seen some of those that have completely whipe me off the map with their lightsabers.

I come in, we initiate in a duel, he bows, I do the same, and we engage in a fight. I get beaten, " Good fight", blah blah. And I await for my next duel. Sure the player may put saber off and sit in the corner, telling everyone that he is changing something, but there is nothing wrong about this, at least in duel mode.

I don't like the honor code, but to say that those who do follow it can't play the game, and have no skill, is utter bull****.

I didn't know I was fighting with GC256. My complaints are directed at the rpg-saber-noobie-fanboi(/whatever you want to call them) people who ruined JO and are now trying to ruin JA.

GC256 does not seem to understand that this is a game that has no honour code. A game that has no rules. There is no such thing as "honour" in a computer game. There might be honour amongst your clan mates, sure. You may have a secret Jedi hand shake or whatever, but in a worldwide multiplayer game you can not assume that the 5 year old from India and some guy from Finland plays the game the way you want.

Do you see me trying to force everyone to fight only with medium stance (cause red is lame and blue = no skillz)? Of course not. That would be utterly stupid. That would be what 97% of people today are doing on servers.

You don't have to be a jerk just because you dont follow some code. If everyone could comprehend that they can not force their rules upon others, we'd all have fun.

Saber down = peace? Why? Not in my book. I see no reason for this rule. I see no reason why anyone would be saber down in a deathmatch. I've been killed countless times (and rightfully so) by people who have their saber down. It's a stupid rule that Mr. Honourable follows when he feels like it, Mr Casual Gamer is not aware of, & Mr. Play-to-win couldn't care less about.

Do you understand why it is troublesome that some people expect me to acknowledge this rule or some other silly rule in a game with no rules? It results in WHINING and there's nothing I hate more than whining. Every time I hear "You LAMED MEEE" I feel like strangling the whining idiot IRL.

To sum up: HONOUR CODES = WHINING. WHINING = BAD. HONOUR CODES = BAD.

That doesn't mean that I couldn't nod to a friend ingame. It doesn't mean that I'd have to kill someone who is AFK over and over again. Everyone can play the way they want to BUT QUIT BITCHING ABOUT HONOUR BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN A VIDEO GAME!

Thank you. :)

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not much of a [MP] player, just the occasional Jedi Master ...

But doesn't FFA stand for 'Free For All'? Which is defined as "A disorderly fight, argument, or competition in which everyone present participates"?

:confused:

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not much of a [MP] player, just the occasional Jedi Master ...

But doesn't FFA stand for 'Free For All'? Which is defined as "A disorderly fight, argument, or competition in which everyone present participates"?

Tends to be more like "walking around Bespin saber down trying to look all Jedi while performing various emotes like kissing and sitting"

On most servrs you might get to fight but only if someone accepts your duel-challenge (happens occasionally). This way you get a honourable one-on-one fight where guns and force are out (even though it's a Full Force FFA All Weapons server, lol!) and kicks don't hurt.

Failure to comply with the honour code that the admin in question enforces at that time results in being slapped/sleeped/whatever after which you must say: "Yes, kind powerful Sir Admin-89, I admit I did a horribly unhonourable thing. You are right, I'm a lamernoob and not worthy to gaze upon your magnificence. I swear I'll never do that again. Sorry. Yes, I understand. Sorry again. Please don't hurt me anymore."

:rolleyes:

For the record:

1-I am very "newbie friendly". Always have been, always will be. New guy asks me a question, I take the time to answer it and help him out.

2-I have no problem with role playing. I have no interest in doing it myself, so I never have once in my life set foot on an omni mod server. They obviously enjoy what they do on their rpg servers so I see no reason why I should go there and ruin it for them. The omni mod crowd does not come to our servers and demand we all pretend to be space bar tenders. They are players just like us enjoy something and are respectful enough not to try and enforce their will upon others.

3-My definition of a noob: A person who does not understand what is going on, yet instead of asking questions like the "newbie", he flames the living hell out of you because he can't accept his own ignorance.

Example.

I grip kick a "newbie" to death.

Newbie "Hey how did you do that move, I've never seen that"

I grip kick a "noob" to death.

Noob "WTF ***hole stop ****ing hacking! ADDDMIIINNN!!! KICK HIM HE'S ****ING CHEATING!!111"

Newbies may have no clue what they are doing but they are not bitter little trolls who vote people off servers because they can't cope with losing, unlike noobs and their "lamer!!!" bull****.

And what Luc said about "Honor" people being the biggest hypocrites in this game could not be truer.

Go look through some of the threads in the Valley that I posted demos in.

It never fails, oh sure they preach honor and respect but the second you bull doze them they call you every four letter word in the book, gang up on you, cry to an admin to sleep/kick you or even the admin himself uses that garbage from the admin mods to empower himself and "teach you a lesson".

Funny thing is, even an empowered admin is pretty easy for me to take out so you can only imagine what kind of a blow to the "I'm a real jedi!!!" ego that must be for him so I'm sure you can guess what comes next...

/kickban

Originally posted by JaledDur

Chatboxes are in Quake3. It wasn't something that was added to JO just because people whined.

Chat boxes were not seen until 1.03. That means 1.02 was played without *surprise!* CHATBOXES! Now you go ahead and cycle back through the VotJ forum and count all the whining due to chat kills, especially during the 1.02 era when there were no chat boxes.

Here's your complementary shovel, the stables await.

Origionally posted by Luc Solar

Tends to be more like "walking around Bespin saber down trying to look all Jedi while performing various emotes like kissing and sitting"

On most servrs you might get to fight but only if someone accepts your duel-challenge (happens occasionally). This way you get a honourable one-on-one fight where guns and force are out (even though it's a Full Force FFA All Weapons server, lol!) and kicks don't hurt.

Failure to comply with the honour code that the admin in question enforces at that time results in being slapped/sleeped/whatever after which you must say: "Yes, kind powerful Sir Admin-89, I admit I did a horribly unhonourable thing. You are right, I'm a lamernoob and not worthy to gaze upon your magnificence. I swear I'll never do that again. Sorry. Yes, I understand. Sorry again. Please don't hurt me anymore."

Booyah!

Okay so I'm back. Curiosity got the best of me, what can I say. I will not argue with any of you anymore but I'd just like to clear a few things up.

1. I don't like Star Wars. Never have, never will. So don't go assuming that I love RPing or whatever. I just play JK2 for the fun of it. I don't feel like a Jedi when I run around.

2. I enjoy fighting just as much as the rest of you. See, I think you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. Just because a server has "honor codes" doesn't mean that everyone is RPing. For example, the server I play in is usually in Bespin or Deathstar most of the time. So, heres what happens. An FFA is taking place in the middle of the map (Streets, hangar depending on the map) while the people who don't feel like fighting keep their sabers off and watch/chat/whatever they want. I'm always in the middle of the fight, killing whoevers in my way, but if I see someone who doesn't threaten me, I won't go for the cheap, unsatisfying free kill.

3. Please don't criticize the way I play. It may shock you, but the majority of servers in the game follow the Saber down=peace rule. That is the purpose of admins, by the way. Lamers are not appreciated in these servers. In fact, my old clan, DLO, was dedicated to setting straight these lamers. (DLO stands for Death to Lamers Order)

Thanks a lot. You play your game your way, I'll play mine my way. I paid the money for the game and no one's stopping me from playing how I (and many other people) enjoy playing the game.

Originally posted by GC256

1. I don't like Star Wars. Never have, never will. So don't go assuming that I love RPing or whatever. I just play JK2 for the fun of it. I don't feel like a Jedi when I run around.

Wow ...

I'm not going to say anything about how you or anyone else chooses to play - I think that so long as everyone can find a place it is fine by me.

It is just that you don't like Star Wars ... yet you play JKII. I love JKII, it is my favorite game ever, but I hold no pretense that JO, JK/MotS and DF are my 3 favorite games at least partly because they are Star Wars based action games ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Wow ...

I'm not going to say anything about how you or anyone else chooses to play - I think that so long as everyone can find a place it is fine by me.

It is just that you don't like Star Wars ... yet you play JKII. I love JKII, it is my favorite game ever, but I hold no pretense that JO, JK/MotS and DF are my 3 favorite games at least partly because they are Star Wars based action games ...

Mike

LOL I hear that!

Okay I apologize, I was a bit too harsh on you Star Wars fans. I must admit, Star Wars is pretty cool. I have the Phantom Menace on tape and the Clone one on DVD. I've also seen the first three and they were alright. Just not my cup of tea. ;) . I like JK2 because it's an awesome action game. It also got me a tad more interested in the Star Wars universe as well. Don't you guys think that's good though? A great quality game like JK2 can bring in all types of people, even though they may not like Star Wars. To me, that shows what a great game it is. I've been playing it non- stop since release and still having fun with it. It's just about the only PC game I've ever played. :)

Also I may be picking up KOTOR and SWG just for fun. Not because they're Star Wars games but because of how good they are. I can't pass up a good game.

EDIT: Do you recommend me picking up the earlier games in the series? I've heard some good things about them. Don't worry txa, I'll purchase them legally, just like I do with any other game/movie/CD (and that's not sarcasm).

Originally posted by GC256

Okay I apologize, I was a bit too harsh on you Star Wars fans.

Also I may be picking up KOTOR and SWG just for fun. Not because they're Star Wars games but because of how good they are. I can't pass up a good game.

EDIT: Do you recommend me picking up the earlier games in the series? I've heard some good things about them. Don't worry txa, I'll purchase them legally, just like I do with any other game/movie/CD (and that's not sarcasm).

I didn't think you were harsh at all - just frank. I was just surprised, that's all ...

As for KOTOR and Galaxies ... well, KOTOR in particular is just such a great game it is getting play with all kinds of non-SW and non-RPG people ... I'm a non-RPG'er, and am drooling in anticipation of the PC version ... I can only imagine what hardcore SW and RPG people are feeling.

I always assume that people are honest, unless they show evidence otherwise. I would strongly recommend JK and MotS, they both still play well on newer PC's (I just replayed them a montth or so ago). I also recommend Dark Forces stronly ... it is a truly great game. It may be a problem on a newer PC (but, if you can play Doom or Duke3D ...), which is why it has permanent residence on my Mac. All are likely available for pretty cheap on eBay.

Mike

i never really like posting on these things... cuz its not like you can change a community's mind with your opinion... and its not like i care to... but i recently found out some stuff about jedi academy from a reliable source and was told about a frikkin "bow" button. i feel like venting now...

ive missed playing jk since 1.03 & 1.04 came out (wasnt the same for me), and also since people stopped doin the promod thing... so recently i popped in the O.G 1.02, did some NF duels... man... didnt realize it was such a frikkin mortal sin not to bow. gettin called a noob left & right... never had this issue when i 1st started playing when this game 1st came out... ugh... all the honor crap...

now theres gonna be a bow button? sh*t, i can see it now... all the commotion over a freakin animation put in the game just for asthetics... anyone reading this who finds bowing to be the honorable thing to do & mandatory in a duel... WHY?

1: its a videogame... i wont even show my boss, the man who provides me with $$$$, any kind of honor or respect, much less someone competing against me in a videogame... besides... like someone said in an earlier post, its earned, not given...

2: why does bowing have to signify that youre ready? when u start a match the annoying chick voice says -BEGIN- ...i dunno bout u... but thats a hint & a half for your ass to be ready to fight.

3: saber down means dont attack... chat box is up means dont attack... and its desrespectful when someone frags u during any of the above... i personally think its disrespectful when you stall a match with useless chatter, changing your settings when your ass shoulda been ready from the get-go, and claiming yourself a non target with your saber down... if u get killed with your saber down, maybe you shoulda had it up, jackalope...

now dont get me wrong, im not knocking everyone who bows or whatever, well maybe i am, maybe im not... but i do think the whole notion is F-in rediculous... but im really attacking people who flame\kick\etc. those who dont bow or show in-game honor... its not necesary, its a game, if u enjoy doing these things to enhance your gameplay experience, F it, by all means go ahead, but some people dont agree with unwritten rules... some of us are in it to win, to compete, to have fun, to just play. So why cant it be just left at that?

yea i realize i may have popped off a lil too much and gone off on a tangent or two, and some of you are gonna flame me, whatever... im just a lil irritated at the thought of a bow button as a game feature... now, the end of this argument could be "u dont like those rules, then dont play on that server." but what i wanna know is, why should i have to limit myself to where i play & who i play with... i know people who play on various servers who bow just cuz they dont wanna get booted... some of those people say it ruins their gameplay experiences, that its freakin annoying but they feel the gotta tolerate it, just to be able to play on a low ping server with the game version & mode they want... so, to end this rant & sum up... why cant it just be bow if you want, or not... show respect or not... just play?

What's funny is that I find all this honorable/bowing/saber-off stuff to be very un-Star Wars-ish...I thought that the Jedi were supposed to keep the peace and when violence was necessary, they used it...none of this bowing to your enemy ****...

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Chat boxes were not seen until 1.03. That means 1.02 was played without *surprise!* CHATBOXES! Now you go ahead and cycle back through the VotJ forum and count all the whining due to chat kills, especially during the 1.02 era when there were no chat boxes.

Here's your complementary shovel, the stables await.

Booyah!

Yeah, it was *still* in Quake3. The fact that the first release of JO didn't have it can be seen as a bug that was fixed in the next version. To sum up my opinion on the matter, chatboxes didn't create any problems; people would still complain about being killed while typing or changing configs whether there were chatboxes or not. its not like they're going to go away now because a segment of the JK population wants all fragging all the time with total disregard to being nice to anyone at any time. Basically there is no honor code in the game for me -- if I'm in a good mood, I'll be nice and play along or not kill you when you chat (well if you arent treating the game like a chatroom). If I'm in a bad mood, prepare to die. I think there are a lot of people out there that share the same view.

The one thing I hated most though about JO was how it devolved into a bunch of asshats walking around and meditating in Bespin, then getting pissed off if you dare suggested that maybe someone should whip out a weapon and start fighting.

Depends on the rules of the server....

Honor? Its not as much about the Honor as it is the satisfaction of the kill. In a duel, I want my opponent to be ready for me when I attack.

You want an example of an Honorable duel... Duel of the Fates.

Jedi Academy has a bow emote that deactivates your saber(s) and lowers your head. It also has a meditation emote and extra taunts.

Edited to please the poster below.

Originally posted by Mith[OmNi]

How this should have looked:

Honor? Its not as much about the Honor as it is the satisfaction of the kill. In a duel, I want my opponent to be ready for me when I attack.

Jedi Academy has a bow emote that deactivates your saber(s) and lowers your head. It also has a meditation emote and extra taunts.

Please be liberal about use of spoiler tags to allow is to stay 'pure' is we want to. While your info was hinted at here

For Duel: Maybe there aren't sounds (other than the taunt sound), but maybe there are, now, a formal set of gestures/anims you can bind to keys.
by ChangKHAN, but not stated explicitly, making it a spoiler.

Thanks,

Mike

[edit: moron me ... quoted the spoiler when asking for spoiler tags!!! Let's try [/stupid Mike mode off] ... have to wait to see if it worked ;) ]

Archived