Home

Blocking Lightning, A Patch/Mod Idea

Toxie

Even those there's a few force powers you can use, wouldn't it be cool if you could do what Obi Wan did and deflect the lightning with your saber. Maybe you someone would come at you with lightning and then you would tap a key and he would raise his saber up, maybe even absorb some of his own force energy if you're running low, that's what it looked like Obi did. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to add this in an upcoming patch. I wish we could see more stuff from the movies in the game, and vice versa. Some of the moves, like lunge slash and kata would look cool as hell in the movies. What do you guys think about having something like this, would it add more balance, or take away more?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

It's called managing force powers and your force %.

Try it some time.

No need to be a smartass, I never said I didn't know how to use force counters. I just think this would be something cool to see, if you don't like the idea fine, but don't make assumptions like that.

No way, that saber absorb thing in the movie was bad ass. People bitch about everything in the prequels anyway. It looked cool when Obi did that, the way he looked when he did it, you could tell he had encountered stuff like that a million times and he knew exactly how to counter it. Dooku looked pissed off when Obi blocked that. If anything, the prequels need more little details like that added to the films.

Originally posted by Toxie

No way, that saber absorb thing in the movie was bad ass. People bitch about everything in the prequels anyway. It looked cool when Obi did that, the way he looked when he did it, you could tell he had encountered stuff like that a million times and he knew exactly how to counter it. Dooku looked pissed off when Obi blocked that. If anything, the prequels need more little details like that added to the films.

Given that the only dark jedi\sith Obi encountered before was Maul, I don't think he's had too much lightning thrown at him, let alone 'a million times'.

Why not just start blocking force chokes and pushes with the saber? Because it's a dumb idea, that's why. And so is the lightning in my opinion.

For a mod, sure. Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't have to download it. For a patch? No.

What? I'm sure Obi has encountered all kinds of dark jedi on his many quests throughout the galaxy. That's just in the games anyway, there's no saying for sure light good jedi can't use lightning and grip. Regardless of what you say, it was in the movie and Obi did know how to counter it so he had to have encountered these kinds of attacks pretty often outside of what happens in the films.

I think blocking lightning is a stupid idea because:

Only 2 sith have ever used lightning: the emperor himself and Dooku. Lightning is the king-of-all-forcepowers.

Every little Jedi has a lightsaber. If lightning really can be absorbed simply by flicking on your saber, then lightning becomes an useless noob power.

Dunno why Anakin got hit.. he had his saber out too. And dunno why Obi didn't tell Anakin that he could block it by holding the saber infront of him. Dunno why no-one told Luke about that. Dunno why the emperor didn't know about it when he started frying Luke. Dunno why Dooku didn't tell the emperor that "dude, no use wasting your force on lightning cause the jedi's weapon will simply absorb it all".

What I'm trying to say is this:

1) The idea was not well thought-out. Sure - it looked cool and all but if you start to think about it, it's clearly a bad idea.

2) this is a game, not a movie. Implementing something like that to a MULTIPLAYER game is not a good idea. It let's you feel a little like teh Obi-1 but screws up game balance (if there is such a thing) making one power useless.

Originally posted by Luc Solar

I think blocking lightning is a stupid idea because:

Every little Jedi has a lightsaber. If lightning really can be absorbed simply by flicking on your saber, then lightning becomes an useless noob power.

lolololol its not already a useless noob power?...

Anyway, maybe the devs could focus more on actually fixing saber damage scales, saber hit and saber defelection before they add extras. And they could find a way to fix s/o ctf too (cough...kick...cough).

Originally posted by Comm539

lolololol its not already a useless noob power?...

I was referring to the movies. Imagine Palpatine spamming lightning on some padawan kid with a 1½ ft training lightsaber causing 0 damage because the saber absorbs everything...

Then Palpatine is like "Oh for crying out loud!! Damn those lightsabers!! Now what am I supposed to do - Throw my walking stick at him!?"

I didn't have a problem at all with Obi-Wan blocking lightning with his saber. I don't hear anyone complaining about Yoda blocking lightning with his hand. Both Anakin and Luke were blasted because they weren't prepared for it. (Anakin charging forward and Luke didn't even have his saber with him) It shows that the Light and Dark sides are balanced to each other, that one side doesn't have an advantage over the other.

I think it could be safely argued that the lightning blocking in Ep2 wasn't a skillless maneuver that occured simply from obi1 having a blade in front of him.

It seems simple to balance - just make them have lvl 3 saber defense, have the lightning attacker in their crosshair, and have it cost a small amount of force in order to block. Then not just anyone with a saber could run around blocking it, and it would actually require a little more skill on the side of the attacker to hit their target instead of spamming an area.

Dunno why Anakin got hit.. he had his saber out too. And dunno why Obi didn't tell Anakin that he could block it by holding the saber infront of him.

Well, maybe Obi-Wan didn't know? Maybe it was just a reflex and he was just as surprised that it worked as Dooku was? Same story when someone holds his hands up in front of his face before crashing into a tree with his car: it won't save him but it's a reflex. Just this time it worked.

Besides, correct me if I am mistaken, but I do recall a scene - maybe from Eposide VI: RoTJ - where a lightsaber seems to deflect some of the emperors lightnings power. Has been a while since I saw that movie and I don't have a copy at home so I can't tell. Maybe Vaders saber? I am certain that I saw this happen before Episode II.

Actually, considering Anakin didn't block the lightning with his saber, yet Obi-Wan did, perhaps he had to use the Force to channel the lightning into his lightsaber?

So perhaps maybe Absorb was used in any case...

Because there is way more to the Force than what is overt; alot of it can not be seen, which is what gives it it's mystic aura and all.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

I didn't have a problem at all with Obi-Wan blocking lightning with his saber. I don't hear anyone complaining about Yoda blocking lightning with his hand. Both Anakin and Luke were blasted because they weren't prepared for it. (Anakin charging forward and Luke didn't even have his saber with him) It shows that the Light and Dark sides are balanced to each other, that one side doesn't have an advantage over the other.

I still don't buy it. Yoda blocking with his hand actually does make more sense to me. Yoda absorbed or at least redirected the force energy. A lightsaber by itself should not be capable of blocking the force in any of its incarnations, including lightning. Suppose, however, that it could block lightning. Lightning is not a single beam of energy. It's not like a blaster shot that you block and be done with it. Even if it did hit the saber, Obi would still have been fried just to a lesser extent.

So perhaps maybe Absorb was used in any case...

A valid argument, but it seems to me if he were capable of that, he wouldn't have even needed the saber in front of him, ala Yoda. Suppose, then, that he redirected all the lightning to his saber. Then why'd he let Anakin get nailed when he can redirect it? Any way you cut it, it just doesn't work in my opinion.

It is just a movie in the end, but that just didn't sit well with me.

Originally posted by Toxie

*proceeds to get his a** kicked by Dooku, only to be saved by Yoda*

As we all know, the Emperor and Vader would be sipping Mai-Tai's on Mon Calamari or on Kessel gettin zooted on Glitterstim if it weren't for R2, the true hero.

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Dunno why Dooku didn't tell the emperor that "dude, no use wasting your force on lightning cause the jedi's weapon will simply absorb it all".

LMAO

:lsduel::lightning

:joreth:wait til he gives up and throws his saber down

:ball::lightning

:ben:-Run...Luke...Run

:ball: -Daddy, hes laming me

;)

eniaC

Archived