Home

05.11 The Revolution begins *SPOILERS*

Zavior

Are you going to see Matrix: Revolutions?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to see Matrix: Revolutions?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, I'm poor
    • Yoda!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it yesterday night, bitch all you want but that movie was awesome. The Zion defence's and such alone made it worth going to, those were awesome. Inspiring too

See ing Captain whatever just standing there, last one left around, shooting at like 800 sentinals, it's sweet. Till, you know, he dies and such.

Originally posted by ZBomber

Rogue = Of course nothing says hes dead. You have to put the pieces together.

And actually, if you remember, he gets unplugged after he explodes.

However, at the end Santi says to the oracle, "Will we ever see him again?" The oracle relplies "I suppose we will" or something to that effect. So Neo is sort of dead, but a good chance of him returning, due to the unbalanced nature of the matrix.

i herd someone say they should make a sequal to enter the matrix....enter the matrix is matrix reloaded on ghost and niobies side....you see you drive the car around while the high speed chase is going on and at the end of it their ship breaks down and they wait and wait then in revolutions they find them

you get it

and theres somethings i dun get

after smith kills neo what happens to make them all die

and what happened to the oracle ...why did she change and look different

Originally posted by Death_Jedi

and theres somethings i dun get

after smith kills neo what happens to make them all die

and what happened to the oracle ...why did she change and look different

neo is plugged directly into the source, once smith took neo's body it was then he who was plugged directly into the source. then he was simply deleted by the machines and the matrix was reset.

the actress who played the oracle died inbetween the making of reloaded and revolutions. in the enter the matrix game they tried to explain her change of appearance by saying she changed 'shells' as the merovingian was after her.

btw, did anyone notice that the bench that the oracle was sitting on at the end of revolutions said "In memory of Thomas Anderson" ?

My thoughts (spoilers galore, of course):

First off, what was the purpose of the little side-trek in the beginning, where Trinity, Morpheus and Seraph went to "negotiate" with Merv? It has no relevance on the plot and neither does Merv or Persephone for that matter. However, the sentient programs in the beginning wanting to protect their "daughter" was neat (and allowed the Wachowski's to indulge us in nominalist philosobabble), and I really thought that the idea of a "sub-dimension" in the Matrix was cool.

The fighting before the night club was horrible. They didn't just mirror the lobby fight from the first Matrix movie, they ripped it off with one merciless, not allowing it time to mend its still fresh wounds and slapped it together with a reverse-gravity gimmick in an effort to give us something new. God-awful - too short, not enough "oomph" in the sounds and not cool kung fu-disarming moves. The actual BDSM club fight wasn't really much better. While better, because of its frantic-ness, it too was just not cool enough for my tastes, not long enough and contained no gorgeous kung fu. What I would have liked to see was a massive kung fu fight against the (human) club members with the heroes trying to minimize the damage by throwing them into walls and generally paving a way to the now-panicking Merv. With a pumping techno soundtrack going, of course.

And for f*ck's sake, use the characters you're throwing at us! The Merovingian is so supa-cool I almost needed a fresh paper towel when seeing him on screen the first time in Reloaded, but in this one, he hardly gets any dialogue, much less significance (though he didn't have that anyway as revealed later on).

What about Zion then? Yes, I admit the battle against the robosquids was cool and tense. For the first 10 minutes. Then it just turned into a battle royale with Mr. "I'm screaming my head off" Mifune, some "Just gimme a chance, sir" Kid and the rest of the "No, we did it" characters. Oh, and not to forget the endlessly circling squid swarm trying to disorient us all to death.

Y'know, there's nothing inherently wrong in such a film, but it's not Matrix enough for me. It turned the film into an unfortunate Attack of the Clones parody. It's called the Matrix for a reason - fights take place inside the Matrix with kung fu versus deadpan enemies, with the "Real world" being a backdrop, NOT the center of the action. And really, when the mechs ran dry of ammo and they showed the nervous ammo-carriers waiting for the bay doors to open, I liked it. But the Matrix is not Saving Private Ryan, no matter how much I like that movie. They did manage to capture the hopelessness of the situation well, but you can only take so much circlestrafing robosquid in a Matrix movie. I want my kung fu dammit.

Onto Trinity. What has she ever done to the instructors? Did she manage to dropkick the Wachowski's between Reloaded and Revolutions so they decided not to give her any worthy action scenes in this movie? As much as I preferred the old leather outfit from the first movie (the new sunglasses are butt-ugly, too), she did get some truly cool fight scenes in Reloaded that kicked mucho ass. In this movie, all she gets is a watered-down repetition of the lobby fight and a little 'rassle with Bane. I didn't have any problem with her dying though - there's no way she could have continued with Neo and no way in hell any of them would have ever gotten back from 01. Nice and neat death scenes (though not in the middle of a heroic action scene - shame on you, Wachowski), and Keanu is even close to acting here as well. Cut about half a minute of crying and I'll call it a day.

As for the final showdown, it starts out well. Very well, even. Powerful chants blasting our ears as Neo's walking down a soaking street in a Smith-infested Matrix. Some cool one-liner exchange first to really drive home the seriousness and then the two combatants go at each other in an all-out sprint for victory. They close and start using some of that kung fu the directors must have saved up during the shooting, and then... they fly. Ok, cool, I suppose watching several minutes of kung fu aint that exciting after all, so they decided to spice it up a bit. But when they wanted to pay homage to friggin' Dragon Ball Z I lost all passion for the characters. No matter what anime has taught us, I find it NOT cool to see two arch enemies in a superpowered jousting match - back and forth they go, each time they meet they send massive waves of evaporated water spreading outwards. Woohoo. I had at least expected some decent collateral damage, y'know, falling buildings and a destroyed city scape. But nope. All I get is Vegeta and Goku (or what the hell they're called, somebody help me out here) going at it and smashing into each other at mach 7 in consecutive rounds.

When the directors finally depart from DBZ-world, I'm being attentive again - I liked the scene in the crater with Smith taunting a visibly battered Neo. Oh yeah, and the "Fist-meet-raindrops-meet-face" shot was cool as well, at last something tasty to make up for the dull fights before. What I didn't really appreciate was how the subtle religious undertones turned not-so-subtle with the angelic wings and the beaming white cross of light in Neo's chest. Eurrgh. Just a minor complaint, but one that bugged me none the less.

As for the ending, well. Well. Well errr. Ok, I could have dug it, really, if the fight leading up to it had been far grander, and if I didn't like the old Oracle better. I know, not the director's fault she died, but breaking the continuity of the characters just left me with a dry taste in my mouth. I liked the conclusion to the story - that the humans and machines made a truce - there was no way they could have conquered the machines and seeing the baddies wipe out humanity would have sucked major donkey dick. Still, it feels a bit like a hollow ending, even if it couldn't really be that much better working on the film's premises - the machines still control most of the humans left, and the peace will not last forever. And yes, Neo will come back as well - the anomaly occuring hasn't been eliminated. There really wasn't any way humanity could have "won" in this film, as they have proved themselves inadequate of taking care of themselves. The machines really do a much better job, perhaps even cradling them, nursing them until something like the Oracle decides it is time to release them. I like it, but I guess it is not for all.

When leaving the cinema, I didn't have that weird sensation the night after watching the first Matrix movie - the one that had me blown away at the awesomeness of the idea of the Matrix and the ultramegasupercool kung fu. I don't know, maybe I'm just too old now for that sort of (simple) mindgames, but I decidedly missed the action in this one. No heroics to match Boromir's death scene in FOTR, either, which is a shame, as the movie was clearly trying.

So, did I like the movie at all, really? I'm still trying to figure that one out, but I wouldn't say it was a waste of a good 3 hours. I missed a "Freeway" scene, or a "Lobby scene", one that could equal the two. As the trilogy progresses, it's dealing less and less with the content of the actual Matrix (there were little to no humans trapped in the Matrix in this movie (if you count the club members as S/M-programs)), and it's dealing more and more with the bloated, superpowered arche types of Neo and Smith. They're cool, sure, but I liked the grittiness of the first film where you had actual dialogues with the humans inhabiting the Matrix. They made a bunch of new, cool characters used to explain something. These new characters weren't explored at all - how about a conclusion to the Locke-Niobe-Morpheus love triangle, or a proper showdown with the asinine Merovingian (instead of just using him to provide an obstacle and then letting him sit and rot once the heroes are done talking to him). The Merovingian in particular I found a better character than Smith or the Architect.

Luckily, like the Star Wars movies, you can choose to just watch the first and ignore the sequels if you don't like them, as the first film is a tied-up story in and of itself. You don't need need to see the Matrix sequels, though I'm glad I dead as they're still nifty things, even if not as good as the original.

Yeah, this review was getting bloated a couple of hundred words back, so I better stop now.

neo is plugged directly into the source, once smith took neo's body it was then he who was plugged directly into the source. then he was simply deleted by the machines and the matrix was reset.

hmm, interesting deduction...i always thought of the "neo being the positive" and "smith being the negative"theory, where they are both equal in power and strength, and when smith mixed with neo, they canceled each other out, resulting in smith being destroyed...and wouldn't you think since smith had allready taken over all the programs in the matrix that the machines could have deleated him allready?

btw, did anyone notice that the bench that the oracle was sitting on at the end of revolutions said "In memory of Thomas Anderson" ?

thats also very interesting...im gonna have to watch the movie again!:)

and i think there should be another movie, even though there is like a 99% chance there wont be...but i mean, it could continue what the machines were doing, and take neo's body away, like "reinstall" all the emotions, personality, etc. neo had in the matrix, give him some new eyes, and send him off to Zion! hell, it could be called "The Matrix: Resurrection"!:D

Originally posted by ET Warrior

However, at the end Santi says to the oracle, "Will we ever see him again?" The oracle relplies "I suppose we will" or something to that effect. So Neo is sort of dead, but a good chance of him returning, due to the unbalanced nature of the matrix.

Are you sure they say that about Neo? I thought they were talkin about something else. And when Neo and Smith were killed, I think it balanced the Matrix....

Originally posted by Alexi Vocheski

.and wouldn't you think since smith had allready taken over all the programs in the matrix that the machines could have deleated him allready?

i think if they could of they would have done. smith was out of control and neo was the only one who could stop him. thats why the machine boss thing agreed to peace if smith was stopped.

Archived