Home

The Return of the King (**Contains Spoilers**)

Jrob

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BawBag™

Hmmm, nah. The Silmarillion took ages to actually settle into and was written in a completely different narrative (or some such). Plus it was rather boring. *shrugs*

I disagree that it was boring, and took ages to settle into, but I'm not really into flame wars, so I guess you can get away with that. ;)

Anyway I think these 3 films have accomplished more than any movies made in my lifetime. :)

There's a true statement if I ever heard one.

Originally posted by Andy867

Who cares about the animation, as long as the story was true to the book. Look at todays animation, it sucks worse than it did back in the 80's. Even with today's technology, they make the people looked screwed up worse than the hunchback of notre dame.

I think that they could have made the animation a bit better, don't you? Story is the most important aspect of a movie I'll admit, but presentation is right after it. It really degrades a show if one of them is totally missing.

Originally posted by toms

i went from disliking sam to feeling sorry for him

and the last one with sam was pointless.

how could you dislike Sam Gamgee? :D That last ending was in the book, how could they have possibly cut that out? That was the last part of the whole trilogy: "I'm back"

I thought the funniest part was actually Sam's line of "And this is for my old gaffer!" because it was so unexpected and so like Sam. The jokes with gimli were so obvious to me, I don't know why but I just saw them coming and didn't think it was that funny (altho it did make me chuckle a bit :p). One thing people laughed at both times I saw it was the part where Theoden looks up at Eowen and suddenly has that WTF? look on his face :p.

Originally posted by toms

(e) Too many endings. Ok, so most of them were needed, but people started getting restless, and the last one with sam was pointless. They should have ended it with the ship sailing off into the sunset (and the 3 ringbrearers aving goodbye, the sun catching their rings).

Wait a minute... I just remembered that I left the movie a minute earlier in the ending... tell me more about the three ringbearers.

Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

Wait a minute... I just remembered that I left the movie a minute earlier in the ending... tell me more about the three ringbearers.

Agreed, I can't say how many times I thought it was over. I've never encountered a movie ending such as long as this one lol.

Dammit, the ending was the best part of the whole film. The reason it was so long was to completely resolve the plot, to give a definite sense of closure to the whole trilogy. And toms, I'm sure they considered every section of the book very carefully...I mean the attention to detail is incredible. But come on, in the last film they had to get through 1 1/2 books (as a lot of the TTT in the books is in the ROTK film, like Shelob); it was bad enough them having to announce it would be over 3 hours long, any more would have been just too much for a movie (though I wouldn't have complained XD).

Though Tyrion is right, I'm sure all the "missing scenes" shall be unveiled come the Extended DVD release ^_~

Originally posted by IG-64

I thought the white tree was gonna be bigger and prettier, I must have missed something

I think it was because of the dark times, and that it symbolised the end of Mankind (if i remember correctly)... I also think it had something to do with the madness of Denethor, and the growing power of Sauron...

Joe,

Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond are the keepers of the three elven rings. The rings went with them over the sea.

As for the tree, it shriveled up and died when the last king of Gondor died. Then Aragorn came along and planted a new one in its place.

A little fun fact about that old tree, they buried it, rather than burning it.:D

Originally posted by wildjedi

As for the tree, it shriveled up and died when the last king of Gondor died. Then Aragorn came along and planted a new one in its place.

My brother tld me that the other day, I had forgot when I posted :o

Well, just saw ROTK for the 2nd time, and my neck hurts.. Went to the 2:45pm show and it was packed. G/f and I had to sit in the 2nd row from the VERY VERY front, which was only like 20ft from the actual screen itself. but it was awesome to see again. My girlfriend and her brother, who was in town on military leave, absolutely loved it. And I loved it even more because they asked me all kinds of questions last night, and I said I couldnt say anything, so they were under the impression that what they asked was right, because of my smirk, but in reality, I had fooled them completely:)

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

Speaking of hurt, did anyone else feel like a part of their ass had died by the time it was over? If it weren't for smoke breaks, I might have left a piece of me in the theater that night.

Nope, my ass was just fine actually. I had no problem sitting through the entire movie either time, or the Two Towers EE or the FOTR EE or TTT or FOTR. (guess I am getting used to long, kick ass movies)

Ok, I saw the film yesterday and I can safely say that its a great film. I'll go over what my favourite part was first:

In the battle of Minas Tirith when the Witch King says 'No man can defeat me!'. Then Merry stabs him in the back, and Eowyn takes off her helmet and says 'I am no man' and kills him.

P.S. The Witch King pwnz! He's my fav character by far, even though he dosen't have very many lines. His mask and all is just too cool. So my av has changed.

Now the bad bits:

What toms said about them cutting out Christopher Lee. In the book, the Scouring of the Shire was one of my fav parts. Also, they could have made the Battle of Minas Tirith (or is it Gondor?, same thing I guess) seem more atmospheric, like they did with Helms Deep.

Hopefully the film will convince even more people to read the books and then they'll find what they were missing out on. LOTR is both my fav film and my fav book. :D

After seeing the film a 2nd time, I thought that Bilbo from the back as he is walking towards the ship heading to Valinor, looked like one of those trolls from Harry Potter or whatever they are, from like The Sorceror's Stone especially because of the height and white hair and how it was "styled".

Archived