Home

WIP: AT-AT

Duncan_10158

lauser, you are right if you say we dont know much about big models or vehicles in a large map, but as i put these first versions of the ATAT in game i didnt notice any 'KILLING the framerate' problems. fact is that this ATAT has about the same count of polygons like a playermodel in highest LOD, about 2600 if i remember right. it will have about 400 frames of animation, what is nothing compared to the 10'000 frames of a player model. the skin size is about the same as the one of a player (this could be a problem cause of the size of the model the surface is very big and the skin could look washed out a bit, perhaps we will size up the skin).

in fact, we will know if it works when we have a first time the ATATs walking in a map. i expect it to work perfect, but if there will be frame rate problems i can still try o add a LOD support.

Mark, the skin looks impressiv! keep up your great work and take a thought of RaSiN_HeCks suggetion, rust and blaster marks, you now.

Manquesa, did i get you right, its possible to let a second driver to controle gun turrets but they cant aim, right? if additional drivers could aim with their guns, that would be perfect for ex. for the federation gunship. perhaps also for the ATAT but i am planing to give the ATAT a very slow turning rate but the head can aim horizontal and vertical faster then the hole vehicle turns. i think this way the ATAT is more fun to play then just one driver driving and anotherone aiming the guns.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now hang on I didn't say you don't know much. I think you know what I'm saying. Try not to take it out of context. I would be willing to build a HOTH map to suit this GIANT. My partner would compile it on his machine since his does the best compile I've ever seen. 20,000 UNITS square sound alright? By 3000 UNITS in height? I'm just picturing the INSANE mapping that would go on to make such a map!!

UNLESS someone has made it already then nevermind.

Probably not to much detail in the map....mostly terrain and turrets. I'm also thinking this would be better suited to a SIEGE map. Maybe even EXPAND the default SIEGE map that comes with RADIANT!! Yeah!! All you would have to do is increase the size of the STARTING AREA and awaaaaaaaaayyy you go!! SWEET!! The rest or the terrain would have to be a model and then clipped to keep the framerate stable. Which RAVEN did anyways. Sorry I'll shut up now.

Let me know if this is a feasable idea...:D

Originally posted by Duncan_10158

Manquesa, did i get you right, its possible to let a second driver to controle gun turrets but they cant aim, right? if additional drivers could aim with their guns, that would be perfect for ex. for the federation gunship. perhaps also for the ATAT but i am planing to give the ATAT a very slow turning rate but the head can aim horizontal and vertical faster then the hole vehicle turns. i think this way the ATAT is more fun to play then just one driver driving and anotherone aiming the guns.

Yes it is possible but it's a bit buggy. Asteroids will be released sometime next week (unless something goes horribly wrong in our beta test this weekend), once that's released check out my Y-Wing Vehicle that's in it. The Y-wing has a turret on top and I currently have it set up to be AI controlled, meaning that the computer controls it, it automatically aims and fires at enemies. And when a passenger is in the vehicle, the passenger becomes the gunner (of the turret) and controls the turret (and yes he can aim it) There's a tag you add called bolt_gunnersview which you specify in the .veh file so I think you can actually name that tag anything you want so long as you point to it in the .veh file. But that tag puts a camera there where the tag is which will be the view of the gunner. What I was saying about not being able to fire is that the driver cannot control the turret, only a passenger can, which is why you'd want to set it up as an AI controlled turret for when you have no passengers. But the driver does still have the ability to fire 2 different weapons same as if there weren't any turrets.

But the whole thing is very buggy, the timing is off between the server and client pc's for that which makes the whole thing very Chuggy. Making it very undesireable to play that way. So we may not include the passenger controlled turret option with the y-wing because of that, but hopefully we can work it out.

Basically, the gunner pc is unable to accurately predict where the pilot pc plans to fly/move the vehicle, so the chugginess is just a by-product. I believe that if the OJP or one of the other Mod makers worked hard enough, they could make a hack that basically but the pilot and gunner in some kind of mini-synchronous mode, which would allow for a better change of getting it to work. It would kind of be like a buffer for information, it might take up a little bandwidth, but it would ensure better results than "Chugginess". but if this is even possible, I am not sure. Just my .02 on how to theoretically fix the 2 passenger feature.

Wow, you guys actually got the turrets working?

I've been trying for ages on the Lambda, but all I've got so far is the gunner's ability to aim up and down...

Anyway... lausa, maps can have a custom draw distance. Using a distance small enough, and with the correct fog settings, map size should never be a problem! Hoth has very heavy weather at most times, so there is an excuse for using a ton of fog to get decent FPS with a tiny draw distance.

Originally posted by lauser

Now hang on I didn't say you don't know much.

you are right, you didnt say that, i did! :D

honestly, you are right with your critic, its possible that everything turns out not playabel, but lets say the force leads me the right way. and lauser, you are very welcome to make a map for the ATAT, its true that most of the maps are to small i and i cant realy test it on them.

multible drivers, i can see the problems thats causing and i hope they got solved. but for the ATAT i think we should stay on one driver. the ATAT has only two types of weapons and both are linked, at lest in horizontal, together, so they cant be aimed independently. i think this is better for only on driver. the ATAT will turn vers slow but the head will follow the crosshair much faster.

in the last few days the ATAT didnt make much progress. still the death animations to do, i havent heard from Mark for a few days and Phunk is working on another project right now. so dont expect it tomorrow.

If you wanna get techniqual it can hold more then that you said Rasin. I remember from the techniqual book that I have said alot about it, even including a hanger bay for Tie's if im not mistaken. I would have to get it out and take a look at it.

Can vehicle have parts which can be shot and destroyed without

destroying entire vehicle ?

Could it be possible to add grapple hook which can be used also

on that vehicle so that players could lift them selfs up like Luke in

the movie... ??

If Yes and Yes then... It would be nice if that is the only way how

infantry guys could destroy them... (at first cut hole to its bottom

with saber and then throw/shoot explosives inside...)

Archived