Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

I installed the newest version on 10/12 and since then I've had nothing but problems using it. The previous versions worked with very few exceptions, but this new one has my system doing loops.

The dialog editor has trashed many hours of work "on save", I get constant errors trying to extract/save various files and ultimately, my entire system becomes unstable.

I love the program, it's the swiss army knife of editing tools and I'd hate to have to stop using it if there's a fix for this. I've done numerous checks on my system to see if there may be another cause, but everything runs fine until KotOR tool crashes... from there, all I can do is reboot or other programs start crashing.

I can't tell if it's the program itself, or there's something corrupt in the .NET framework - or something else.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

1.0.1752.41487 (2004-10-19)

Features/updates:

• Added Most Recently Used files feature to File menu. It tracks the last 10 files opened. (suggested by ChAiNz)
  • Added the ability to handle Creature Items (attacks and hides) to the Inventory Editor in the Character Editor. (Thanks to Achilles for reminding me this wasn't done)
  • Fixed a bug that made the Trash function in the Inventory Editor unreliable. (Thx/to T7Nowhere)
  • Fixed a bug that would cause Kotor Tool to stop opening a set of files chosen via the Open GFF Files menu when one of the files in the list was not a GFF file.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

1.0.1752.41487 (2004-10-19)

Features/updates:

• Added Most Recently Used files feature to File menu. It tracks the last 10 files opened. (suggested by ChAiNz)

No doubt about it...you are...THA' MAN. You've just saved me tons of time with my "organized chaos" file structure ;) Thanks!

I should have added the MRU feature a looong time ago. It was pretty wasy to code (about an hour) and it will save me time during development as well.

Would anyone like a feature that implements the concept of a project? That is, a group of files that would be opened as a set?

Plus now you can put adjust things like Tk-47's and Cancerous Odor's 'hide' and give characters "monster" hands :)

The new Creature Item category in the Inventory editor is at the very bottom of the treeview, and has 4 sub-categories. The 'hide' items can be dragged onto the Armor slot on the Natural Items tab and the others can be dragged to any of the three "claw" slots on that same tab or to either of the Hands (right or left) slots on the Standard Items tab. I think that the third (rightmost) claw slot may actually be intended for "bite" type attacks, but I haven't been able to test that theory.

I should have added the MRU feature a looong time ago. It was pretty wasy to code (about an hour) and it will save me time during development as well.

Would anyone like a feature that implements the concept of a project? That is, a group of files that would be opened as a set?

If you mean like opening the files that group together like models "A" relates to textures "A01", "A02", etc. Then i should say definitelly!!!:D

What I mean is a logical grouping of files. Say you are working on a mod project that consists of p_cand.utc, cand_talk.dlg and cool_item.uti. Instead of having to find and open those three files each time you want to work on your project or even take the time to open them from the MRU list, you would open a "project" file that would in turn open each of the three files associated with it.

Later, the feature could be enhanced to show a treeview of the files so you could pick which one(s) you want to edit by double-clicking them. You could also tell Kotor Tool to make your project into a .mod file, since it would know which files belong in it.

What I mean is a logical grouping of files. Say you are working on a mod project that consists of p_cand.utc, cand_talk.dlg and cool_item.uti. Instead of having to find and open those three files each time you want to work on your project or even take the time to open them from the MRU list, you would open a "project" file that would in turn open each of the three files associated with it.

Later, the feature could be enhanced to show a treeview of the files so you could pick which one(s) you want to edit by double-clicking them. You could also tell Kotor Tool to make your project into a .mod file, since it would know which files belong in it.

That sounds great! ....but the only thing I would be afraid of is what if you had edited one of those files afterwards in GFF editor beyond KT's parsing parameters? (sorry, just playing devil's advocate :evil5: ). Might be a problem to watch out for...

If you could get past that potential roadblock, I'd say go for it! :D That and since my coding skills are 'nil' you can tell me to bugger off ;)

That's even better. It's always a nightmare organize this sort of things.

I have a sugestion. Maybe KT could create a project folder in explorer along with a KMM file? Just a thought...;)

It's like you read my mind Fred. It was tedious opening all the different editors from the menu. The keyboard shortcuts helped some. Now that you have shortcut buttons, it's not that tedious anymore. Although, this would make it extremely easy. Great job with all versions of the tool.

Originally posted by bneezy

It's like you read my mind Fred. It was tedious opening all the different editors from the menu. The keyboard shortcuts helped some. Now that you have shortcut buttons, it's not that tedious anymore. Although, this would make it extremely easy. Great job with all versions of the tool.

Well then, I'd better get to it! :)

Thanks for the compliment, too :D

Hey Fred Tetra i like the tool but i want to do some stuff but i have to be registerd and i e-mailed you already im just waiting for you to give me the key

If you go to Fred's homepage and download the latest version you don't need to register kotor tool ever and it's chocked full of updates and features that were not present in the versions that required registration.

Originally posted by Dak Vesser

I'm wondering when Kotor 2 "The Sith Lords" comes out, will it be compatible with kotor tools?. It would be interesting to see if the devs changed or encoded the files different or if they didn't bother.

Well, if they have changed things, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make Kotor Tool work. Assuming I can save the $$ together to buy a copy :)

I don't know about any of the other kotor tools, though. (Other than tk102's, of course. I'm sure an expert like that will make his work :D )

v1.0.1760.23873 (2004-10-26)

Features/updates:

• Fixed a bug that would prevent .mdl file extraction
  • Added rewritten version of nwnnsscomp (customized for Kotor Tool) to setup program
  • Added new Project Manager function
  • Updated Help file (read it!!)

Note: Kotor Tool now requires a new version of nwnnsscomp. This is included and installed by the setup program. You are strongly advised to uninstall Kotor Tool before installing the new version. Your settings will be preserved.

There's a whole section in the Help file on how to use the new Project Manager, but here's a brief overview:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating a new Project

To open the Project Manager, from the Tools menu, choose Open Project Manager. An instance of the Project Manager be displayed.

From the File menu, choose New Project... to create an empty project and specify a few details about it.

First, you'll need to select a name for your project. It is mainly used to identify the project's top node and may be used to name a .ZIP archive of your whole project in a future release of Kotor Tool.

Next, choose the location and name for your project's file. This file contains all of the settings for your project.

Finally, choose the directories for the Debug and Release versions of your project. The idea is that you specify your SW:KotOR directory for Debug mode and a separate directory for Release mode.

In both modes, The Project Manager will:

• Copy the Override files in a directory named Override under the directory you specified for that mode.

• Build each module's files into a .mod file with the same name as the module and write it to a directory named Modules under the directory you specified for that mode.

The project's properties can be edited by choosing Project Properties from the File menu or by right-clicking on the project name in the treeview and choosing Project Properties .

Once you have created a new project, you'll see the project tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working with the Project files

There are two sections to a project, the files that go in KotOR's Override folder and those that are compiled in modules that go in the Modules folder. Here's

Overrides

• To add files to the Override folder, either right-click on the Overrides node and choose Add Files... or drag and drop the files directly on it.
  • To exclude an Override file from the project, right-click on the file you want to exclude and choose Exclude file from Project.
  • To remove all of the Override files from the project, right-click on the Overrides node and choose Exclude All Files...

Modules

• To add a module, right-click on the Modules node and choose Add New Module..., then enter the name for the new module and click OK.
  • To add files to the module, either right-click on the module node and choose Add Files... or drag and drop the files directly on it.
  • To exclude a module file from the project, right-click on the file you want to exclude and choose Exclude file from Project.
  • To remove all of the files for a given module from the project, right-click on the module node and choose Exclude All Files...
  • To completely remove a module from the project, right-click on the module node and choose Remove Module...
  • To remove all of the modules from the project, right-click on the Modules node and choose Remove All Modules
  • To rename a module, right-click on the module node and choose Rename, then enter the new name for the module and click OK.

Note: Excluding files from the project does not delete the files; it only removes the references to them from the project.

Editing files from the Project Manager

You can edit many types of files by double-clicking on the name of the file you want to work with.

Supported file types are:

• Text type - .nss, .txt
  • GFF type - .dlg, .utc, .utd, .uti, .utm, .utp, .utt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building the Project

Once you've added your files to your project, you can build it. The Project Manager does the following things to build your project:

• All files in the Override portion of the project tree are copied to the Override folder
  • For each module, the files under it in the project tree are added to a .mod file of the same name. Any scripts (.nss files) are compiled (to .ncs files) before being added to the .mod file

As your project is built, a progress indicator will show the current status.

If your project contains a script that does not compile, that script will be identified and the Build process halted.

That's a generous offer that I may take you up on

Lots of people would have you to thank for helping ensure they can mod KotOR 2, as well!

Hey I may not be the best modder now but you know I would be thanking myself the rest of the time if you keep turning out revisions to kotor tool as awsome as this latest one. Imean really we're getting close to an all in one package. Next thing I know Your going to figure out away to have kotor tool load nwmax for gmax or some such thing. shoot if you ever change the gff editor side to not need the gameresources from the 2da files I might have to clear out my directories of the 1/2 dozen other tools I have to keep handy.

v1.0.1760.40805 (2004-10-26)

Features/updates:

• Added a version of Charles Chargin Jr.'s mdlops program, rewritten for better Kotor Tool compatibility, to the setup program.

Thanks to Charles for his permission to include his application!

Hey thanks Fred and cchargin. I think I missed the last KT release :o . well this one looks great. The project manager looks very interesting.

I have a couple questions.

1.)Do .nss files in the override section also get compiled? Im thinking that the project manager can be usefull even for non module mods. It would be great if the project manager could detect .nss in the override tree and compile those as well. :)

2.) Can the project manager delete files from override and modules folder? If not this would also be a usefull feature as I find myself going through several versions from the test phase to release and it would be great to be able to quikly remove the redundant files.

I also have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Include the ability to also have "streamwaves" and "lips" trees. these 2 folders are not used in to many mods , but they are sometimes :)

Ok thats all I can think of now. I'll be back after I have used the project manager more.

Archived