Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

I forgot to mention that you can make Kotor Tool check for updates manually from the Help menu.

You can also set how "automatic" you want the process to be from the Options screen, "Other" tab. Checking the first box means that every time Kotor Tool starts, it will check to see if a newer version is available, all silently in the background. The second check box controls whether or no it downloads an update if one is availabe without asking.

If a new update is available, and it is downloaded, you can choose to install it immediately. Kotor Tool will quit, the Installer will start up and once you click a few buttons, it will remove the old version by itself (finally!) and install the new one.

You'll have to start the new version yourself, for now, until I remember how to add that to the installscript :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My team is spread out over 3 states in the U.S.A., a few in Europe and one in New Zeland, so hours are somewhat flexible, too. Maybe we can recruit tk102 at some point; we could use some Perl folks with that level of skill.
Interesting. After the past two weeks struggling with robot problems in the wee hours of the night and morning, freelancing sounds more appealing.

New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

1.0.1768.17182 (2004-11-03)

Features/updates:

• Fixed a bug in the Project Manager that prevented Lips files from being handled correctly
  • Added support for StreamWaves files and folders to the Project Manager

If you downloaded version 1.0.1763.28199 (2004-11-01), you should get the updated version automatically.

I would like to give a sugestion. Sometimes we are not able to work on our computers at home:( . It would be great if KT could work regardless the instalation of Kotor game.

If so, we could work on previously extracted files, like models, textures, dialogs, etc., anywhere and test them later at home.

I guess what i am trying to say is that a version of KT without the extracting features, only the tools would be great.

Anyway, KT is awesome Fred.:)

Xavier2

Originally posted by Xavier2

I would like to give a sugestion. Sometimes we are not able to work on our computers at home:( . It would be great if KT could work regardless the instalation of Kotor game.

If so, we could work on previously extracted files, like models, textures, dialogs, etc., anywhere and test them later at home.

I guess what i am trying to say is that a version of KT without the extracting features, only the tools would be great.

Xavier2

:eek: I would never get any work done Great idea...I'd just have to 'restrain' myself from loading it at work ;)

Originally posted by Xavier2

Xavier2

You really only need a small subset of all of the data installed by the game to use Kotor Tool. Legally, you should have the game only installed on one of your machines, but that's not for me to regulate. I haven't done any testing on this, but I think you'd only need the following:

At the least:

• Create a directory that will mimic the KotOR installation directory.
  • Create a registry entry identical to the one KotOR makes, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bioware\SW\KOTOR) with a Path string value set to match the directory mentioned above, so Kotor Tool knows where everything is.
  • Copy the chitin.key and dialog.tlk files into the directory.

For most GFF file-based editing, you'll need to add a data sub-directory with these files in it:

• 2da.bif
  • templates.bif

This is just an example; if you try to open something and the file(s) needed are missing, Kotor Tool will generally post an error letting you know, and you can then copy it/them over and try again.

I'm not sure I see what the benefit to the user would be in having a version that didn't include the main treeview.

The application's size would not get substantially smaller, since the editors make up the bulk of the code base. Also, the files I mentioned earlier are required no matter what.

Neither of these even addresses the issue of the hassle involved in maintaining two versions of the code (even with conditional compilation and build flags).

Perhaps you'd like to explain further?

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

I'm not sure I see what the benefit to the user would be in having a version that didn't include the main treeview.

The application's size would not get substantially smaller, since the editors make up the bulk of the code base. Also, the files I mentioned earlier are required no matter what.

Neither of these even addresses the issue of the hassle involved in maintaining two versions of the code (even with conditional compilation and build flags).

Perhaps you'd like to explain further?

OK. Picture this. If you have KOTOR and KT at home you could work on weekends and extract, say 2 models, it-s texture, an .utc, an uti, an area, app.2da, heads.2da and 5 dialogs to make a mod.

After extraction you can call them anyway you like to make them a part of your mod. After the weekend is gone you probably wasnt able to finish your mod.

Now, the models and textures can be worked anywhere you like, since you need KT only for extraction.

If, (and only if CHAINZ:D) you have some time, somewhere else than home, to work on app.2da, heads.2da, .utc, .uti, the area and the dialogs you will need a 2da editor, a dlg editor and so on.

In order to do that you will have to either install the various and sometimes unfriendly to users editors around or install the wonderfull KT and the game.

The first option is doable, but rather unproductive since KT covers all their ground.

The second option, although you offered a possible solution, may lead you to legal and hardware trouble. after all you can run KT in almost any hardware, without the need of the game minimum requirements.

That way one can work on spare time, anywhere, save the edited files and later, at home, load them into the game.

I hope i have clarified. I sugested because, in my case, i found a window of free time, when i could work on mods outside home.:D

Unfortunately, Kotor Tool must have those files I mentioned. In order to make things that are compatible with the game, it must use the same points of reference. You can create your own from-scratch dialog, 2DA files and scripts, but most of the other editors look up things in the aforementioned files, just like the game does when it is running. If you're worried about the legal aspect, you can buy a copy of KotOR for about USD $9.99. That's a small price to pay for a dedicated modder, IMHO.

So, I really don't see myself branching off another version of the tool. I already have 422 hours of development time into the current one, and that comes from spending a significant amount of my free time coding. Just look back through the thread and you'll see that I have put out as many as 5 updates in a week's time; this is because I'm busy coding pretty much whenever I'm awake. I've decided to scale back my tool-time (heh heh) as the various holidays come around, but updates will still be coming out.

Just look back through the thread and you'll see that I have put out as many as 5 updates in a week's time; this is because I'm busy coding pretty much whenever I'm awake.

And it shows! Just FYI, my version got it's first "auto-update" the other day. The function works like a charm, just so you'd know...

:):thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Kotor Tool must have those files I mentioned. In order to make things that are compatible with the game, it must use the same points of reference.

So, I really don't see myself branching off another version of the tool. I already have 422 hours of development time into the current one, and that comes from spending a significant amount of my free time coding.

Thats ok Fred. It was not my intention to give you much trouble on developing this. In my poor programming knowledge it seemed a simple task. If not forget i mentioned.

Xavier2

Originally posted by ChAiNz

And it shows! Just FYI, my version got it's first "auto-update" the other day. The function works like a charm, just so you'd know...

:):thumbsup:

Well that's some really great news!

I hadn't heard any complaints, and it's hard for me to test it, so it is a relief to hear that it is working as planned. I really got tired of answering email from folks that had downloaded an out-of-date version from pcgamemods, were having trouble, and didn't bother to check the official site to see if there was a newer version available!

Once I hear that the function is working from a few more folks, I'll post the self-updating version to pcgamemods, too.

My only problem with the auto updater is that kotor tool is on a machine that does not access the internet and it searches for a active connection and pops a error as soon as I start kotor tool which gets annoying after the 20th time in one evening. That and I'm not sure if I've missed it but I can't seem to get the mdlops or nwcompiler to work within kotor tool.:confused: maybe I fowled up the install but I doubt it.

Originally posted by darkkender

My only problem with the auto updater is that kotor tool is on a machine that does not access the internet and it searches for a active connection and pops a error as soon as I start kotor tool which gets annoying after the 20th time in one evening.

Hey Darkkender, if you go into Tools> Options> Other, you can uncheck the option for Check for program updates at startup.

Darkender:

Open the folder that Kotor Tool resides in. (If you mouse over the shortcut on the Start menu {at least in XP}, you'll see the path. By default, it will be "C:\Program Files\Fred Tetra\Kotor Tool\")

Open the settings.xml file by double clicking it and look for the following two properties. Do yours have the same values?

<bCheckForUpdatesAtStartup>false</bCheckForUpdatesAtStartup>

<bDownloadUpdatesAutomatically>false</bDownloadUpdatesAutomatically>

As for your nwnnsscomp and mdlops problems, could you be more specific? Do you get an error message?

If you used the Kotor Tool setup program, it installs the correct versions of both of these tools for use by Kotor Tool. The versions available elsewhere won't work with it. Actually, the original mdlops will usually work most of the time, but will occasionally have trouble due to the GUI popping up. The version installed by the setup program does not cause this problem.

One other more remote possibility is that Kotor Tool's registry entry is corrupt. Using regedit, (and if you don't know what it is, skip this step!), look at the Path key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SCM\Kotor Tool and make sure it is the same as the path you found in the first paragraph.

As with most software, when all else fails, go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and uninstall Kotor Tool, then manually download the latest setup program and run it.

Hope this helps!

Well I was actually considering just that a clean sweep install after doing a complete remove and cleaning the directory.

as for nwncompiler and mdlops should they have there own menu options or where should i find them at since I'm beginning to think there in the module editor which I'm not using because it keeps asking for lip files and everything else to create an area which I'm not trying to do yet.

I know I think I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too as well as have my neighbors cake all at once right.;)

Archived