Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I tried to open TSL classpowergain.2da to give my chracter more force powers per level, but it seems to be different than the 1st KOTOR 2da. You can't do anything from that file. I'll have to figure out where to change that. I'll play through TSL first, but i want my next game to be a little different. I'll also make enemies stronger.

In any case. When can we expect Kotor tool for TLS Fred? :D

Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo

well hoping you can make a new extractor tool for kotor 2.....i really need it. :D

Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?

Doing area mods with a lot of files often give me headaches on finding the ones i need to edit while testing. If it turns out to be a list with 40-50 files it's kind annoying. Although KT Project Manager organizes the files properly and it is fine, i believe that doing subfolders for each type of file (utc subfolder, .dlg subfolder, etc) in a mod, could help a lot.

And it is good to know KT works ok with TSL. As soon as i get mine i will try something.

Originally posted by Darth333

Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.

that i already know....the only problem i have is i cant put the .mdl and .mdx in one file (to .mdl)....i cant load it into max.

Kotor Tool uses a subset of CChargin's MDLOps code to extract the models from the game. The problem is that in Kotor 2, the model format has changed somewhat, which will necessitate a change in the converter code.

I don't have my copy of kotor tool in front of me right now but isn't there an option to turn off the mdlops features in kotor tool? If so then that should be pretty simple for extractions. I know I was planning to sit down and fire up my hex editor again, for some model files.

Also Fred might you be able to provide a feature much the same as tk102 did with KSE which is have KOTOR tool look for to seperate working directories for kotor 1 and TSL? And then have 2 expanded file tree's.

You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.

Actually, I am working on the implementation of Kotor II features.

Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".

Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".

That is completely understandable. I had to go through a lot of code to allow that to work correctly in KSE. However, FWIW Fred, the reason I decided to go the route I did, was because that's what I thought a master like yourself would do. :) (bow)

And how I envy the Unity of KotOR Tool -- especially the way a single Manage Paths menu applies to everything. :rolleyes::xp: (I've got my work cut out for myself for the next month...)

You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.

believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates

from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.

Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo

believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates

from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.

Just double click on the .mdl file desired, check the options on the form that comes up and it will extract the file in a format that NWMax + 3DSMax can import. The model and all of the textures will be placed in the directory kotor tool install directory\working\Exported models. (if you picked "each model in its own directory, those directories will be placed in the working directory)

It is not necessary to use extract0-2 to do the conversion.

^^^^

No, <|EJK|>Twingo it is for KOTOR models only. TSL uses a different model format.

Originally posted by Darth333

It is funny though in TSL I cannot find any .dlg files in any of the modules.

^^^^

yeah funny thing that I was going through the modules folder and realized wow there are 3 erf files for each area. My words to myself were WTH. What's even harder is trying to make a guess at what each of the area's are by just there file name they are just number strings great for warp commands bad for trying to figure out which one you need.

Originally posted by RedHawke

I wonder who the klutz was at OE that put them there? :roleyess: I hope we can still pack them into .mod files like we used to... :eek:

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fred! :D

You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.

You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.

I've already made three modules for the easy swoop racing mods and it works fine :)

However, once packed as a .mod file, I had to use another utility to extract files from my custom modules as Kotor tool would not list the files starting with a number instead of a letter in the ERFs :(

Archived