Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by T7nowhere

Hey thanks Fred and cchargin. I think I missed the last KT release :o . well this one looks great. The project manager looks very interesting.

I have a couple questions.

1.)Do .nss files in the override section also get compiled? Im thinking that the project manager can be usefull even for non module mods. It would be great if the project manager could detect .nss in the override tree and compile those as well. :)

It does not, but it would not be difficult to add, and thus will be in the next release.

2.) Can the project manager delete files from override and modules folder? If not this would also be a usefull feature as I find myself going through several versions from the test phase to release and it would be great to be able to quikly remove the redundant files.

It does not, but it would not be difficult to add, and thus will be in the next release. Should have thought of that... I have it in the Module Editor, after all.

I also have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Include the ability to also have "streamwaves" and "lips" trees. these 2 folders are not used in to many mods , but they are sometimes :)

Are these files that are just copied into the respective folders, or do they need to be preprocessed in some manner?

Originally posted by darkkender

so does this mean we don't need mdlops anymore? or do we still need to have it in kotor's source directory for the rewrote mdlops feature to work.

It means that I took CChargin's code, rewrote a few things so it would work better with Kotor Tool, and included it in the Kotor Tool setup program so users don't have to find, download, and install it.

As an aside, I would recommend for anyone with programming experience to take a look at the Perl language; it has some interesting features and plenty of user-created and -supported content. I was able to figure out how to make the needed changes and build the new version in just under a couple of hours, and I've never coded in Perl before :)

Originally posted by stingerhs

fred, you just freakin rock!!! oh, and if you need $$ to buy tsl, then let us know. i'm sure we would be more than happy to donate to the cause. :D

Thanks for the offer to you and Darkender; I may take you folks up on it:D

Has an official release date been announced? I would imagine the developer is trying to get it out for the winter holidays...

You know what? Obsidian entertainment should hire Fred to make sort of a "Aurora Toolset" for Kotor 2 using his programing experience with Kotor Tool.:) :) This tool is developing so further that i think it can solve the lack of moding support Lucas Arts left us.:):cool:

Xavier2:)

I also have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Include the ability to also have "streamwaves" and "lips" trees. these 2 folders are not used in to many mods , but they are sometimes :)

Ok thats all I can think of now. I'll be back after I have used the project manager more.

Regarding the streamwaves folder; do you just need to be able to copy files directly to it, like the override folder, or do you also need to be able to create folders with your files in them in it?

Originally posted by Xavier2

You know what? Obsidian entertainment should hire Fred to make sort of a "Aurora Toolset" for Kotor 2 using his programing experience with Kotor Tool.:) :) This tool is developing so further that i think it can solve the lack of moding support Lucas Arts left us.:):cool:

I second that motion..! Do we hear a third?.. :D

Originally posted by Xavier2

I'm sure they have the toolset Bioware uses, but it would be an interesting job.

However, I wouldn't be able to share my creations with the public any longer, as I'd probably have to sign a confidentiality agreement. Just think of Edward T. Smith, the creator of nwnnsscomp and several other fine tools; he likely can't share information now that he's a Bioware employee...

Thanks anyhow for your "vote of confidence' :]

Besides Fred if you stay independant all odds are in our favor of continuing to get updates quickly and efficiently. Not to mention always having you handy for questions.

On the other hand you could goe to work for Obsidian create an online alter ego that creates fabulous tools for us all and as long as Obsidian never knew you would be in the clear.:D

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

It does not, but it would not be difficult to add, and thus will be in the next release.

Thanks

It does not, but it would not be difficult to add, and thus will be in the next release. Should have thought of that... I have it in the Module Editor, after all.

Thanks

Are these files that are just copied into the respective folders, or do they need to be preprocessed in some manner?

Yes, just copyed. Thanks again Fred.

Regarding the streamwaves folder; do you just need to be able to copy files directly to it, like the override folder, or do you also need to be able to create folders with your files in them in it?

Hmm. Thats a good question. So far I have only needed to add files into the main Streamwaves folder. I think If sound is edited or added in a specific module Then those wavs will have to be placed in those specific module folders to work. So I would say Yes we would need to be able to create folders within streamwavs as well as adding the files directly to the main Streamwavs folder.

ps. sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thanks

Hmm. Thats a good question. So far I have only needed to add files into the main Streamwaves folder. I think If sound is edited or added in a specific module Then those wavs will have to be placed in those specific module folders to work. So I would say Yes we would need to be able to create folders within streamwavs as well as adding the files directly to the main Streamwavs folder.

ps. sorry for taking so long to reply.

I've added the ability to compile any scripts found in the Overrides tree branch, as well as a Lips Modules branch, which behaves just like the Modules branch, but with a different destination. I also added the ability to remove any files associated with the project from the Debug and Release paths. I decided not to implement a full clean of these paths, however, since you could damage your KotOR installation in some cases. I'm beginning to work on the streamwaves branch and should have something out soon. Anything else that would look handy?

New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1763.28199 (2004-11-01)

Features/updates:

• Fixed a problem with form centering when the child form was larger than the parent
  • Added Lips support to the Project Manager
  • Project Manager now compiles scripts in the Overrides branch
  • Added debug/release directory cleaning to the Project Manager
  • Full BIF extract now working correctly
  • Added BIF and RIM subtype extraction, which allows you to extract all items of a type ("Blueprint, Character", for example) from a given BIF or RIM file.
  • The UT* editors now enforce a 16 character, lowercase ResRef.
  • The main treeview now remembers where you last left it open to.
  • Kotor Tool can now check for and download updated versions of itself automatically. Users have the option to turn this on/off via the Options screen.

Looks good Fred :) Keep it up and we will soon have a tool that can almost mod by itself :D ... I joined the forum about a week after the first version of Kotor tool was released (lucky me), it is amazing to see how far you brought this tool. Thanks to you, modding Kotor is now accessible to everyone :)

Originally posted by ChAiNz

Do you ever sleep? I've heard it's a good thing ;)

New version looks FANTASTIC! The BIF & RIM subtype extraction feature looks very interesting...hmmmm

NEW TOYS to play with...going now to get my copy... *click*

I do actually sleep about 6.5-7 hours a night/day :)

I am fortunate in that while I have a professional programming job, I do not have to go in to an office to do it. My team is spread out over 3 states in the U.S.A., a few in Europe and one in New Zeland, so hours are somewhat flexible, too. Maybe we can recruit tk102 at some point; we could use some Perl folks with that level of skill ;)

• Kotor Tool can now check for and download updated versions of itself automatically. Users have the option to turn this on/off via the Options screen.

one of your best features yet. with all the updates you release, it can get hard to track them all. thanks fred, and keep up the excellent work. :D

Originally posted by Darth333

Looks good Fred :) Keep it up and we will soon have a tool that can almost mod by itself :D ... I joined the forum about a week after the first version of Kotor tool was released (lucky me), it is amazing to see how far you brought this tool. Thanks to you, modding Kotor is now accessible to everyone :)

Wow, and you have over 1800 posts since then! I have only about 1/6th that :) I have a lot less to say here since I don't think I'm qualified to give much advice. ;)

I think the best feature will be the auto update, since people won't have to check the web sites as often to see if a new version is out, especially given the frequency of their creation.

I'm tossing around the idea of creating a better script editor, one that helps you fill in functions and other such things, but don't hold your breath :)

Any other ideas that would be handy additions?

Archived