Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The screenshots do show a big difference but it still looks like JK. Are there going to be mappers that update the geometry to be more JA-ish?

It depends on what you mean. Part of the motivation for this project was the fact that JK managed to capture a look and feel that they subsequently lost in their later incarnations. So the fact that it looks like JK is not a problem! What I'm talking about is the scale and scope of the levels--especially the Nar Shadda levels.

If what you mean by "more JA-ish" is a more refined look to the textures and geometry, then I agree. :)

Shamus, I would love to help with doing trailers and stuff for the JKDF2 Mod and help be an adviser to the mod since I have been an active member of the jk series since JKDF2 released. I do movies mostly now here in JA. I am over Jedi-Outcast Movies. I have put out the series JA: Clone Wars and I work with SJC doign video projects for his maps and stuff. I hope I can be some help to you, since I could be a great asset to the team and remember the "golden years" so greatly.

The maps are going to be very similar to the originals (with architectural improvements, etc. of course) since those of us who are mappers are using converted versions of the original .jkl files as reference materials for height and scale.

Speaking of which, Shamus, I've run into some scale issues on level 14. I'll explain in more detail on the team formus, if you'd like. Yun is also finished, as I've mentioned before. I don't know if I've uploaded the file but I'll check in the morning.

Hey the Yun model ain't that bad but if anyone checked out jk3files recentlly you know that Inyri Forge there has made Yun's hilt which is the best ever made.And she's cerently making a Yun skin which the outfit omg looks exectly like Yun's its still being fixed but it kicks ass.The only thing that is off besides the unfinish body is the face so if anyone has a close up of Yun's face plz help her out.

here's the Yun skin tread

http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=212549

And if anyone likes the hilt here's its thread

http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=212026

Now not to say the other is bad but when ever this Yun is finish I would conseder this one.

ok i read the faq but i didnt see an answer to the question that has been nagging at me for a while, i dont know if anyone else has asked it baecause i cant be bothered reading through the whole thread.

how are you going to do the darkside lightside shift?

it would be a bit pointless if you just did it as a choice thing at the end like in JA. i always liked the way it worked in DFII, you kill a load of innocents and your become gradualy evil, please tell me you are going to firgure out a way to do it in this mod.

That's why we're still here to answer questions. :)

Basically, this depends on us finding the right people to code/script. The JA "moment of decision" is an alternative but for the sake of accuracy and the fact that JK's "morality scale" is such a better concept, we would like to try and preserve it in the mod. I'm not sure if JA has anything like this that we can use as a template, though.

That's why we're still here to answer questions. :)

Basically, this depends on us finding the right people to code/script. The JA "moment of decision" is an alternative but for the sake of accuracy and the fact that JK's "morality scale" is such a better concept, we would like to try and preserve it in the mod. I'm not sure if JA has anything like this that we can use as a template, though.

Yeah there are a few things like that in our mod that we're trying to figure out first. My recommendation is to first speak with Razorace and see how plausable it is to do. The lightside/darkside choice (like in JA) would be cake to do. However, the morality scale like in JK would be a bit harder, and would take some more in depth decision making. I don't imagine that it would be that hard to do

...the morality scale like in JK would be a bit harder...
Well it might be possible with the new quake3 code. I am a little bit of a C++ fella, and I think you could have some sort of a running score (can be positive or negative integer. Positive = lightside, Negative = darkside). So if a player had Heal with 4 stars (score = 4) and Choke with 3 stars (score = 4 - 3), the score total would = 1.

The actual decision (made by the computer) might be as simple as:

if(intscore < 0)
{
// run code that will execute dark side script;
}
else
// run code that will execute light side script;

Of course, the real trick, as razorace pointed out, would be to save the score from one map to another. In reality, you would only need to save an integer, would would be only a few bytes of memory.

I am not sure how the alignment (light side/dark side) works in the original game. I think it is only on your force star count. Is it at all based on what you do in the game? (a.k.a. killing innocents, using darkside force vs. lightside force, etc....) Does anyone have clue on that one?

Killing innocent people nudges you down the dark path, killing innocent droids does as well, but not as much. Assigning stars to a specific Force power nudges you a bit towards whichever side of the Force that power draws from, but actually excecuting powers during gameplay has no effect on your morality. (I used to think it did, so when I was playing a dark side game, all I would do was grip people and never use my weapons at all, in hopes of falling to the dark side faster. Little did I know that it did not do dittly squat.)

Killing innocent people and droids.

Well that might be hard to do. I suppose you could code something to count the deaths of people that are on team_player & team_neutral vs. team_enemy. If I'm not mistaken, JA already has a system of counting the kill score as well as counting the amount of times you use force powers. You guys might be in luck here.

For something as complex as this seems to be, the mod would have to be ported to MP. Since I'm not working on scripts or anything and just building the architecture in SP, porting shouldn't be a problem, at least not at this point. Now, finding people who understand the Icarus, MP scripting, etc. to do this for us is the "real" tricky part...

Archived