Home

Hard contact

Alegis

Apparently a book is beeing released as well this fall

"hard contact"

hardcontact_full.jpg

Play the LucasArts game—read the book! On a mission to sabotage a nanovirus research facility on a Separatist-held planet, four clone troopers operate under the very noses of their enemies. The commandos are outnumbered and outgunned, deep behind enemy lines with no backup -- and working with strangers instead of trusted teammates. Matters don't improve when Darman, the squad's demolitions expert, gets separated from the others during planetfall. Even Darman's apparent good luck in meeting the Jedi Padawan Etain Tur-Mukan vanishes once Etain admits to her woeful inexperience.

For the separated clone commandos and stranded Jedi, a long, dangerous journey lies ahead, through hostile territory brimming with Trandoshan slavers, Separatists, and suspicious natives. A single misstep could mean discovery ... and death. It's a virtual suicide mission for anyone -- anyone except Republic Commandos.

but the jedi is 'woefully inexperienced' ... meaning he (she?) NEEDS the bada$$ commandos in order to survive. i like the addition of this character, it shows that the commandos can be more destructive and powerful than someone in tune with the force ... very different than the impression given in EP2 (and possibly EP3).

btw, the cover art of this book is where i got my avatar from ... :cool:

I've already planned to get the book, and I will read it. :p

I too think the story could have done without a Jedi, and focused simply on the squad doing their job. Although, if it's anything like the X-Wing novels (where pilot Corran Horn is 'attuned' to the Force), it might not be so bad.

Anyway, if it can tie in nicely with the game and flesh out the life of a Republic Commando, it should be an interesting read. That's one of the reasons why I liked the three short novels based around the life of Kyle Katarn - it added more substance to his character, and filled in some blanks around the games (Dark Forces and Jedi Knight).

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

lol thats pathetic zbomber :p

for some reason, i liked pre-OT books (jedi apprentice, phantom menace) but not post-OT books (NJO)

Pfft, YOU'RE pathetic! :p

Stories based off games always seem to bomb, I only like the cover art. :p

• 3 months later...

Interesting, but in all honesty I can't see the basis of a compelling story within this book. Commandos go in, Commandos come out, leaving a blaze behing them. Also, although I probably will purchase the game, it seems very un-atmospheric and dark. Yeah, maybe darkness can be extremely atmospheric but in the screenshots i have witnessed and the movie clips and inserts, the game just looks a bit bland. Which I can see exactly the same happening to the book.

I'm pretty sure the book will coincide with the game even if it is delayed further.

Well, there's always the local library or Barne's and Noble (grab a book, sit on the couch, etc.).

I stopped buying Star Wars books after I noticed the dip in quality and the fact that I'd just read them once and toss aside anyway...

That said, I still don't mind picking up paperbacks at dirt cheap prices at used book stores for those long trips or some cheap entertainment while in the backwoods. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

Well, there's always the local library or Barne's and Noble (grab a book, sit on the couch, etc.).

I stopped buying Star Wars books after I noticed the dip in quality and the fact that I'd just read them once and toss aside anyway...

That said, I still don't mind picking up paperbacks at dirt cheap prices at used book stores for those long trips or some cheap entertainment while in the backwoods. ; )

Speaking of dirt cheap, I bought the hardcover AOTC book for 3 dollars at some outlet store. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

****, I'm getting it no matter what. :eek:

I've read the Halo books, and they're so freakin awesome, I don't see why this book shouldn't be awesome either, since it's based off of an awesome game. :)

Correction: Hopefully awesome game. :)

Originally posted by ZBomber

As much as I'd like to think that, LA has let me down quite a few trimes. Therefore, it's better to not get our hopes up. ;)

Correction: Uh...nevermind. :p

But it's just that LA has never elt me down. I suppsoe I'm just easily pleased, but I think JA had an awesome storyline, although 90% of the swamp thinks it sucked. I loved Jedi Outcast, although everyone said Jedi Knight was a lot less shallow. The list goes on. ;)

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

Correction: Uh...nevermind. :p

But it's just that LA has never elt me down. I suppsoe I'm just easily pleased, but I think JA had an awesome storyline, although 90% of the swamp thinks it sucked. I loved Jedi Outcast, although everyone said Jedi Knight was a lot less shallow. The list goes on. ;)

ALL the gameboy game ssuck. Episode I Game sucked. Jedi Outcast was all right, but I hated Jedi Academy. That's enough to disapoint me, and they are making a game that will be a little like JA, so that's why I'm worried.

Originally posted by Prime

Will the book have pictures? I never learned to read.

That reminds me of Beauty and the Best - How can you read this book, there's no pictures! ;)

... and it has been long enough since they've had interest in that movie that I can no longer blame that response on my kids :D

Mike

• 1 month later...

Archived