Home

Raise your hand if you hate spy-ware and popups!

kipperthefrog

ever notice a weird icon in your lowe right menus and you dont know where it came from?

ever notice those new search tool bars you never use?

its spy ware that can send pop up ad after pop up ad all day long!

it also lets guys look into your PC!

if our PCs get too much spyware, they get so bundled down, they dont run anymore!

(fortunatly there is "Adaware" and "Spybot search and destroy" at download.com)

they have NO RIGHT to invade our personel space! WE paid for our PCs, we decide what to install and NOT to install! if the government can shut down Napster and detect and punish people for downloading a song, they can track down hackers and arrest them too!

if spyware and popups make you sick like it does me, write your complaints here!

give YOUR opinion on the spyware problem!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why hate spyware and pop-ups?

these little gimmicks cant do anything against their existence, they where created to do a job and they do it. they are brave softwarebits who do everything their creator wants them to do.

why not (a) hate the creator instead?

why not (b) get a clue, wake up and realize that the internet is the internet, which is open for everyone on this planet?

i mean you do close your door, even if you're at home, don't you?

what seems to be the bigger issue, the spyware itself, or the fact that spyware can actually do what it is doing? why is there the possibility to hijack browsers without any notice? why is there the possibility that others can get a hold of my personal data without my permission?

spyware a problem? niente. the problem is that these things are possible without that i ever was asked if i want it so nor was i informed that it will be like that. and that's clearly not the fault of spyware or any hacker.

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

ever notice a weird icon in your lowe right menus and you dont know where it came from?

ever notice those new search tool bars you never use?

No.

Don't use ie, take precautions and they're not a problem...

And obviously users require some kind of common sense.

I don't get them. I use Zonealarm, AdAware, and, most importantly, Opera 7.5.

The most annoying thing about the internet for me is the spam that comes into my email. It seems that I am a very important person since I have dignitaries and diplomats from places like Nigeria writing me for assistance on a constant basis.

Originally posted by SkinWalker

It seems that I am a very important person since I have dignitaries and diplomats from places like Nigeria writing me for assistance on a constant basis.

LOL. Please excuse the thump while I fall out of my chair.

If I'm such an important person because I can lead a massive rebellion and gain millions and millions after freeing up an iced bank account in some tiny Asian country not on the map, find some other way to contact me than email.

[/sarcasm]

And what's with all the crap about mortgages and sx enhancing things (excuse that but I get about 10 of each a day...kinda pisses me off)...? I'm 12, I don't need that stuff!

Originally posted by SkinWalker

The spammers spell it \/iagra to beat the filters. I just set mine for "agra." :)

mozilla thunderbird has a good adaptive filter. it catches 95% of the spam i recieve. and i never open/read mails from addresses/domains i don't know or i am not in contact with, i just check the "junk" switch and it's gone for good..

furthermore, if i ever recieve spam from the same (crappy) domain twice, i'll add it to the manual filter, so it will be deleted on the server instead of being downloaded.

and yes zonealarm is a good choice, since i use it adaware and spybot are "unused", just negative checks from time to time.

also a good idea is not to use ie what will automatically close 50% of the security holes. the netscape and mozilla suites are far to SLOW so i stick to the standalone mozilla firefox at the moment.. i could check opera but i really have no reason for that.. ;D

using linux will solve the rest of the problems.. :) ok, there are bugs sometimes but i mean.. the difference is the policy: with linux nobody comes in except you say it, while on windows everyone comes in except you install tons of (sometimes expensive) software that protects you or install 100 megs of patches which arent necessarily healthy for your system's stability.

however i am not saying windows is a bad os, it has a lot to offer and it has really improved, but it is not secure until you do something.

The reason there is nothing done about spyware / addware. Is that people are making money with it. If someone wasn't making money off it nobody would do it.

If 1,000 people get pop ups / adds and if 15 or 20 out of the 1,000 actually respond to them. Then someone made a profit. People who make profit have some say in what gets done in Congress. Congressman aren't going to vote for bills or legislature that hurts the profit of a company or person that helps fund their election campaign.

That's why stuff like the patriot act get passed and stuff like pop ups get to wait another turn.:o

That's true. They make a bit of money.

Strange enough, I get almost zero spam. Nicht, nothing.

Though occasionnaly I get a idiotic chain letter forward by a firend...Used to get tons of those...then send out ranting e-mail where I insulted their stupidity for spamming and slowing down hotmail's servers with O*(?*(?&%*(&? chain letters...

True you can avoid a lot of SPAM. Surfing the net is kind of like picking up a hooker. Looking at the wrong type of sights or Downloading programs. Eventually your are going to get an E-net STD.

Be knowledgeable about the net and the sights you go to and the things you download and your chances of getting viruses and SPAM decrease.;)

There is actually a US law in consideration at the moment to ban spyware... the problem is that it can be hard to define (as many software packages actually contain other sub programmes) and that they can hide behind the "but we warned you in the EULA" excuse.

I actually think that the biggest threat to computer users (except maybe viruses) is EULAs. If you think about them logically they are totally pointless.

- They include things like "i won't copy this" which are all covered by existing laws.

- NO ONE reads them.

- Even if you do read them you need to be a lawyer to understand them.

- It would take forever to scan every one in detail for each bit of software.

- You have to unwrap and start installing the software to get to read them. (and usually then can't return the software if it is opened)

- They can even be used to do stupid things like ban you from selling software that YOU have paid for.

- If you actually READ them you realise you aren't buying the software, you are buying a blank cd and the license to use the software.... which means they can control what you do with it as YOU DONT OWN IT.

- You don't see warnings of this before you buy them, but they are displayed like CDs or DVDs or any other product, and when you buy those you don't expect that you aren't actually BUYING them, just the license to use them, so why should software be different?

Sidebar: In my humble opinion they aren't legal as they allow companies to add terms & conditions to the sale AFTER it has been completed. But a court just rendered them legal (insane decision) so what do i know.

It is these unreadable EULAs that allow people to get away with dodgy software practices like spyware, as they confuse and allow them to disguise them.

There should be a standard, plain english, government approved EULA that all software uses, with clearly marked parts to declare all variations (bundled software, etc). This would work in the same way to the need for clear marking of content on video games.

So you look on the back of the box and it has, say, 3 symbol boxes that contain:

Single User, No Copying, 3 Applications

or

Single Computer, 5 Copys, 1 Application

as big colourful symbols.

When you install it you get an installation screen with the same big symbols, and clicking on each one would take you to the appropriate government regulated EULA agreement.

The application one would list all applications that would be installed.

Companies could then just select the appropriate set of (common, well written) symbols/terms that they wanted, consumers would be clearer and know what they were buying, and legalities like piracy would be handled by the existing laws, not some complex, unique EULA that noone reads...

sorry for the rant...:D

Originally posted by toms

There is actually a US law in consideration at the moment to ban spyware...

Kind of like the law in consideration to make DVD/CD burners, Tape Recorders, and such illegal?

Originally posted by toms

the problem is that it can be hard to define

It's pretty easy to define. Anything that monitors what you do or adds unwanted programs to your computer that do unwanted things. It's only complicated, because someone is making it so.

Archived