Home

Official TSL countdown!

starmark2k

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

I'm just glad we're out of the "stone-ages". Imagine if we were still dependant on .... Floppy Disks....

Dum Dum Duuuum!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Please Insert Floppy Disk 6,594 and Press OK"

20 minutes later....

"There was an error with 'little-Dot-on-T3-M4's-head.tga' and you must restart the entire installation from floppy disk 1."

I'm just glad we're out of the "stone-ages". Imagine if we were still dependant on .... Floppy Disks....

Dum Dum Duuuum!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

well, lets do some calculations then, shall we??? :bernard:

each floppy disk can hold about 1.66 MB of data. kotor had four install disks with roughly 750MB of data each (cd's contain about 750MB, give or take 50MB). so, thats a total of 3000MB, or 3GB, of data. so, divide 3000 by 1.66 and you get a total of 1807.23. since you can't fit more than 1.66 MB on a floppy, that means that you would need a total of 1808 3.5in floppy disks. :eyes8:

lets not even factor in the amount of time that would take, considering that a floppy data rate runs at a snail's pace when compared to a cd data rate......

heh, kotor3 would be out by the time tsl is finally installed on your computer. :D

Originally posted by Master B

my guess is Wednes we will see it...

:amidala:

In addition to the Amazon.com release date that has already been mentioned, I just saw a TSL banner ad that also provided 2/8 as the release date. I guess I won't be sleeping much Tuesday night :)

Originally posted by stingerhs

well, lets do some calculations then, shall we??? :bernard:

each floppy disk can hold about 1.66 MB of data. kotor had four install disks with roughly 750MB of data each (cd's contain about 750MB, give or take 50MB). so, thats a total of 3000MB, or 3GB, of data. so, divide 3000 by 1.66 and you get a total of 1807.23. since you can't fit more than 1.66 MB on a floppy, that means that you would need a total of 1808 3.5in floppy disks. :eyes8:

lets not even factor in the amount of time that would take, considering that a floppy data rate runs at a snail's pace when compared to a cd data rate......

heh, kotor3 would be out by the time tsl is finally installed on your computer. :D

:eek: hehe...thanks for doing the math stingerhs, now... how much would all of that weigh? ;)

Not to mention the size of the box, though would make for one heckuva cover art project :D

Common retail practice is Tuesdays = new releases, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 8th please...please...please...

Also, keep in mind the really "kewl" stores sometimes have a 'Midnight Madness' sell if they think the product has high enough demand.

When Doom3 was released, my local Best Buy® & EB Games stores were open Monday midnight (legal to sell then). Keep your eyes peeled just in case some of the stores are feeling 'froggy'...

Of course, if you're like me & working the next day, it might just be best to pick it up on Tuesday afternoon :rolleyes: *sigh*

:eek: hehe...thanks for doing the math stingerhs, now... how much would all of that weigh? ;)

Not to mention the size of the box, though would make for one heckuva cover art project :D

well, if you weigh a 3.5in floppy, you'll find that it weighs approx. 2-3 ounces. so, 1808 floppy disks that weigh, we'll say 2.5 ounces, is 4520 ounces. that translates into 282.5 pounds. :eek:

as for the size of the box, well, the calculations can be done this way: first, calculate the minimum volume taken up by 1808 floppy disks that are arranged in a rectangular shape, and then add a 8"x6"x1" volume for the manual. since a 3.5in floppy is a 3.5"x3.5"x1/8", you would need a volume of at least 2816.5 cubic inches, or 234.708 cubic feet.

to put that into perspective, a 2004 Ford Explorer (the most popular american SUV) has a maximum cargo volume of 81.7 cubic feet. therefore, you would need 3 Explorers to haul KOTOR from best buy to your house. don't even get me started on how much shipping would cost if you order it online...:eyeraise:

i think its absolutely amazing to figure out what happens when you crunch the numbers. :D

crap, now i'm getting brain cramps again..... :rolleyes:

edit: oh, and you asked for the size of the box: 6'x6'x6'. ;)

Originally posted by Achilles

^^^^ Remind me to PM you next time I need to hire a business analyst :D

Uhh..ditto ;)

Damn stingerhs, you have impressed me with your calculations & have given me more respect for my measly 4-CD install of Kotor :lol:

I think seeing as how that brings things into perspective, we'll think twice about complaining about a 4-pack game ;)

6'x6'x6'...that's bigger than most apartment bathrooms!! Not only do I have to buy 3 SUV's... I need to get a bigger place :fist:

:::ChAiNz.2da cherishes his CD's:::

Sorry for the brain cramps stingerhs.. THIS might help :D

Sorry for the brain cramps stingerhs.. THIS might help :D

ahh, much better now. ;)

if you want me to be honest about the calculations i did: almost all of it was simple math. figuring out what to do with the calculations is really not too difficult. the only part that was somewhat difficult was trying to set up the derivative to figure out the minimum dimensions of the box. i'm sorry, but finding the minimum of a 3-variable expression is just a tad bit harder than it sounds (since it produces a 3-dimensional graph, and you have to find the tangent plane instead of a line). fortunately, i have my trusty ti-89 with me to help out. ;)

looks like those three calculus courses are actually starting to do me some good......

Originally posted by starmark2k

ok the PC version is either out Today or tomorro so i'll just change it to out now tomorrow but if someone in the U.S can post a reply saying its out todayfor definate, that will be apreciated.

Well... it is my understanding that the game ships on the 8th so we shouldn't see it on shelves until the 10th or so. But I could be wrong. :D

Archived